You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Perfidus Through the Mists (A Time of Many Tears)  (Read 1208 times)

DM Cataclysm

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
Perfidus Through the Mists (A Time of Many Tears)
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:33:09 AM »
I've tried about 5-6 times to get to Perfidus over the last week or so and it's been inaccessible on every attempt. I'm pretty familiar with how to navigate there and in the past, there has been a fairly reasonable chance of success. I'm not aware of any changes to the Mist areas, so it may be a string of bad luck or the randomly generated maps may have become self aware – but in either case, I think a few changes could be beneficial! The typical road blocks are:

You encounter 2+ blocked passages on several maps, eventually blocking you into a defined area outside of where Perfidus is accessible. I'm not what a good solution to this is, unless it's possible to reduce the instances of blocked passages and to make the active maps more tightly knit.

You encounter OOZEVILLE (The Mists – Deserted City). I've encountered this pretty frequently - and sometimes it appears you'd have to cross it to get to the right path to Perfidus. Also, a few times this week - it has been the first map directly off of Mist Camp. While it is possible for a few characters to run through the area like maniacs and make it through – most can't. Typically if you're traveling with a party, the majority of players won't be able to make it through. Battling through is almost impossible – even with a well equipped party of level 20 characters. While the concept of this area is really fun and scary – most people can't really interact with it and just turn back when they see it. How would everyone feel about removing this map, since it effectively acts as another road block? : )

The Mist layout doesn't reset frequently. In the past, this has reset on a fairly regular basis (30 mins maybe?). A few times lately, the same layout has been active for several hours at a time. So if you encounter a layout where you're blocked in – you can't really wait for the Mists to shift, unless you've got a loooong playtime. Is it possible to require this area to shift on a more frequent basis?

Overall, I like the idea that you can't just jump a wagon to Perfidus anymore and I think the idea of a dangerous path there is great. The main issue is that the Mists are dangerous on a good day and the items above are more frustrating than anything. Most groups don't want to bother trying to get to Perfidus these days, primarily because of the fear of wasting time. It's a really cool dungeon – so I think if the chances of getting there improve a little, it will be frequented a bit more.

derkotushka

• Chaotic Evil
  • Undead Master
  • No, you are not special.
Re: Perfidus Through the Mists (A Time of Many Tears)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:53:03 AM »
You was just very unlucky, really.
Random-random.  :lol:

All is same, directions repeats, layouts changes with about same time.
Some minor changes what I noticed (some time ago) what it become more often changing mists layout when you already inside mists.
I was checking mists recently often and I can feel always this random. When you search long time vampires after many tries to run whole mists again and again but someone else find them just in first mist zone.

Is this topic about feedback of mists general?
If so, I will left here few words what Mist Dragon's hall should become more complex/harder or turned in tiny dungeon just more than one room. Because it is always same: buffs, enter, grab treasure, run away. Even with fix what dragon can now walk out - still this is sad to look always poor dragon. Dragon slowly reacts, dragon not fully blocks way to chest (which is gives fair opportunity to ninjaloot it using hide instead of mad running to chest but few dares to do so). Since loot in this chest is somewhat -special- this place not should be so easy looted.

And perhaps there need some small revision of ooziville.
But honestly I am like how it looked always. Even if forget what sometime oozes may wait and surround you nearby enter.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:54:39 AM by derkotushka »
С любовью, безымянная звезда.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 01:30:00 PM »
I Think Raziel need better loot on him and not on his tiny chest. Making killing him more satisfy ! Also his tiny chest loot sucks !!

As for Slimes City, I try conquering it but somehow they all keep coming someone told me it is endless spawn ? Increase the XP gain then !
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:32:13 PM by Mayvind »

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 05:48:59 PM »
The only times I have interacted with Ooze Town have been stepping through the transition and the whole party immediately stepping back, or one fool running in and dying and then another person running in to save them. Also, I've heard Ooze City has no loot and gives bad exp with infinite spawns to kill you with long range ooze shots.

That said, I think it has some interesting potential that isn't being fully realized. Ooze City seems like a trap zone to me, which is good for a dangerous place like the Mists to have. However, the trap will only catch a very small minority of the population -- that is, people who have never been there *and* never heard / listened to the countless warnings from everybody else on the server not to go there. As it is, the zone is the bud to a beautiful flower, but it is being deprived of the sunlight it desperately needs to bloom.

I think the best way to revise Ooze City would be:

-Make it feasibly passable by any player.
-Make the escape route difficult to get through.
-Make the process by which the escape route is utilized break from normal gameplay (Lore checks, Search checks, riddle dialogue and dialogue trees, etc).
-Remove the transition at the entrance of Ooze City from the Ooze City map and make it inescapable to leave once inside.

Doing this would lead to an interesting experience through the zone and also offer a means of passage for those who are determined/familiar with the map. Also, removing the transition at the beginning of the zone once in will certainly scare the pants off of any inexperienced mist-walkers, and add to the feeling of dread the server is supposed to have (of course, as trolly as this might seem, any player who has to leave for whatever reason and does not want to complete the escape route puzzles will not be forced to -- they may simply log out and wait for the server to teleport them to their last safe location).
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 10:47:53 AM »
You encounter OOZEVILLE (The Mists – Deserted City). I've encountered this pretty frequently - and sometimes it appears you'd have to cross it to get to the right path to Perfidus. Also, a few times this week - it has been the first map directly off of Mist Camp. While it is possible for a few characters to run through the area like maniacs and make it through – most can't. Typically if you're traveling with a party, the majority of players won't be able to make it through. Battling through is almost impossible – even with a well equipped party of level 20 characters. While the concept of this area is really fun and scary – most people can't really interact with it and just turn back when they see it. How would everyone feel about removing this map, since it effectively acts as another road block? : )

I've given it some thought over the past month and we definitely won't remove Ooze City (also as an aside that sort of smirking tone doesn't help).

I'll tone down the spawns themselves but won't change the concept, but the monsters will be less powerful. Considering this is a high level area it should be feasible to push through for high levels.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 12:50:49 PM »
As a counter-opinion:

I kinda like the mists the way they are. Oozeville is a horrible death trap that I will just nope out of, but the random shifting of the mists (especially once inside of them) is cool and thematic. It makes the place feel magical and treacherous in a way that they otherwise wouldn't be. On a secondary note, there's very little in the mists that can't be avoided with a combination of invis and haste, both of which can be cast by low-level casters or purchased cheaply as potions. Even the big stuff that can see you like a Nightwalker generally won't be able to react fast enough to catch you as you haste by. The sole exception being oozeville. Oozeville is horrible.

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 08:55:27 AM »
I don't mind oozecity as a overall concept, but...

Spoiler: show
..there is just not much to do or gain (loot wise), maybe chancing that would make the place more interesting. Like it is now it's just a deadly dead-end, just a place to run from.

Mods. remove post if this spoils exploring for others to much. others, if you don't wanna know, don't click.
Merrum Twind: Sticking his nose where it doesn't belong for the greater good!
Ragnhild “the Snarling” Snarrigson: (aspirant) Shield of Dvergehiem.