Author Topic: Suggestion: Vallaki-VoB SLOW Travel System  (Read 4855 times)

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Suggestion: Vallaki-VoB SLOW Travel System
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 04:17:21 PM »

The abnormality is high level characters that don't run back and forth often, not the opposite, sorry.

Viktor said, "I make a trip from Kburg to Ramulai or Muhar multiple times a day, some days." His PC sounds "atypical" to me. YMMV.

Would you argue that a DM should not drop a high-level monster there because it would be immersion-breaking? Or an MPC such as the current mummy can't be in the Outskirts for the same reason? DMs have, in fact, rattled the Western Outskirts in the past even, so as to drive high levels inside.

I actually would; carpet bombing the outskirts with instant death poison, causing earthquakes, or spawning mega alpha werewolf lords to send high level characters indoors also isn't immersive, because Barovia simply shouldn't be a domain sundered by such great powers. Strahd's glorious +2 sword would have issue with such a werewolf. Perhaps I'm in the minority on this regard, but expecting I agree with this sentiment wasn't accurate.

I didn't expect you to agree, actually :)

In any event, the point remains that it happens, so the Team's vision of Barovia and what violates immersion is different from yours. Nor am I arguing for such excessive examples. Any unpredictable spawn will be more dangerous than one of the equivalent level that is known and can be planned for.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2018, 04:41:18 PM »
For the record, I have no problem with the argument that these areas should be made more interesting. I'd love for there to be more to do along the road. My point was that while this would be nice, it doesn't actually do anything about the original point being addressed. As long as Vallaki is the central server hub, people are going to either live in vallaki or routinely make the trip. The entire purpose of this was to make it so when people travel in groups, they can more easily role-play in the travel time.

sotbiii

• Outlander
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 02:42:09 AM »
I seem to consider this from very different view point than others.
Having played AMPC and several shady characters, I would actually maybe even like more roads for the simple reason of having the option of ambushing someone on the road.
Barovia has long roads but I'd prefer if there was alternative routes to places.
There could be long, safer roads and shorter, more dangerous routes.
It would be good if the spawns along the Barovians roads were more random and interesting. Everyone knows where the wolves will stand and how near you can step with out alarming them.
I'm not against the suggested system but I would limit it maybe so that it is available only once per 24 or 12. Or something.
It's depressing if you want to attack certain person but they spend all their time in a safe spot and can directly caravan to another safe spot and when there is only one road, certain spots of it have "too much" traffic for you to pull a stick up.

I don't know what the solution is, we all find traveling mostly annoying but it does provide an opportunity for DM's to drop surprises too.

Relating story:
One time, due to reasons I stalked certain pair of characters from Vallaki to Wachter province. There I heard they were going to Krofburg next, (Thanks to then new delivery system) I dashed ahead of them, grabbed my friend from from Vallaki and we set up a barricade on the mountain road. We were going to GET them! ...But then someone else came along before they did, crashed our barricade and ruined out trap. Ah well, it was kind of fun anyway.

Another, vaguely relating story:
My AMPC wanted revenge on certain Vallaki garda. The only place this player could be found at night time was of course the western gate, because for some reason none of the other three gates are guarded at night... I don't think I need to tell how this ended as we've all witnessed several MPC's end the same way. There are always several of those (often fairly high leveled) priestly types hanging around the outskirts at night who are quick to make their way under the wall and to the other side.

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2018, 01:48:52 PM »
The issue is that we have a poorly thought out hub.

What makes something a hub? Ease of access.

And yet, we've designed the hub on the server to be at one end of the server.

A logical choice would be to migrate resources to the Village and develop that area to sustain a population. It's almost set up already, we even have the largest inn and church on the server.

Leave Vallaki to be the low level area it was intended to be.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
All you say regarding crafting is true. We can act on this though.

Already, herbalism will soon get a huge upgrade that will certainly entice players to get non-barovian herbs. This might help.

I will tackle Tailoring next. Sprinkling craft components accross domains (not only the base resources), so that the best tailored items will be easier made outside Barovia.

In my experience alchemy is the biggest issue for this. Took my level 17 mage back to barovia recently because its the only place that has the appropriate mid-high alchemy reagents I needed for practice.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
All you say regarding crafting is true. We can act on this though.

Already, herbalism will soon get a huge upgrade that will certainly entice players to get non-barovian herbs. This might help.

I will tackle Tailoring next. Sprinkling craft components accross domains (not only the base resources), so that the best tailored items will be easier made outside Barovia.

In my experience alchemy is the biggest issue for this. Took my level 17 mage back to barovia recently because its the only place that has the appropriate mid-high alchemy reagents I needed for practice.

Could be worth starting a topic about that to list the regents unavailable in higher level areas.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 03:26:36 PM »
I think you can only get the really high tier stuff outside of barovia, actually. Anubis Hearts, Great Hag Heart, Greater Elemental Ashes, Archmage brain and various fiend guts. I'm not actually aware of ANYTHING else that is actually obtainable outside of Barovia. And all of those items are in the 30+ rank to process.

Razzen

• Outlander
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 03:41:22 PM »
As a new player I'm fairly certain that whatever OOC limitation that will be applied onto higher level players will probably end up making people like me suffer even more.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2018, 04:08:30 PM »
The Alhoon is the place that gives the most mid-high reagents, I believe, that can be done by most people. There are places to earn dc 25 reagents elsewhere en masse, but they require a tougher party.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »
The Alhoon is the place that gives the most mid-high reagents, I believe, that can be done by most people. There are places to earn dc 25 reagents elsewhere en masse, but they require a tougher party.

Alhoon is the best place to get elemental ashes and such. I'm no Alchemist, but I've been asked enough by various alchemists throughout Kazir and Joachim's days to go there for them.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
I think you can only get the really high tier stuff outside of barovia, actually. Anubis Hearts, Great Hag Heart, Greater Elemental Ashes, Archmage brain and various fiend guts. I'm not actually aware of ANYTHING else that is actually obtainable outside of Barovia. And all of those items are in the 30+ rank to process.

I am referring to the DC 30 reagents in dvergheim, which is essential to transitioning from mid level reagents to the high level reagents you are speaking about. The highest level stuff is outside of barovia, but you have to transition from 25-35/40 somehow.

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2018, 06:54:47 PM »
There a pretty good source of reagents in hazlan and Harakir tbh. Perfidus has loads as well. Dlou has a good source of medium acid and negative types. Ghastria is a little lacking imo. The mists can be good or bad depending on the spawns.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 12:01:33 AM »
Again there are, but none of which are in the level range im discussing. Most of them you listed are below it, and a few are above it, but none are in the same DC range.