Author Topic: The Art of the Steal  (Read 860 times)

NND1

• New to the Mists
The Art of the Steal
« on: March 21, 2018, 01:58:06 PM »
Chapter 1: Honor Among Thieves

The Thieves code:

Spoiler: show
Have nothing to do with the authorities, not participate in political activities (i.e running for office, voting, backing a party), nor join government or religious organizations (this does not mean one may not have a belief in the gods, only that one does not serve the interests of a church or temple.)

Not serve in the military or accept any offers from the government or prison authority.

Not cooperate with authorities when detained or If another thief is under investigation or arrest, testify against them.

Keep secret the information about the whereabouts of accomplices (i.e. dens, districts, hideouts, safe houses, aliases, etc).

Make good on promises given to other thieves.

Help other thieves in need, both by emotional and material support.

Not lose their reasoning abilities when drunk. It is not an excuse for breaking any of the codes.

Never gamble without being able to cover losses. (Unless these losses were to those who do not uphold the thieves' code.) It is acceptable and expected to cheat (being caught cheating is not).

Never, under any circumstances, have a 'legitimate' job- live only on money obtained through gambling or theft (the word 'theft' as used here describes any respectable criminal activity), and relying on other thieves. (being a sellsword is 'legitimate' only if one does not accept payment from nor work for authorities)

Cut ties with one's family: father, mother, brothers, sisters, etc.

Never have a family of one's own: No marriage. No children; this does not, however, preclude one from having an unlimited number of lovers nor 'adopting' youth to act as a mentor.

Teach the criminal way of life to youth with potential.
Act within underworld to protect basic needs of criminals' and prisoners according to the extents and priorities set by the community- be that a gang, guild, residents in a given prison or prison cell.

Demand an inquiry and judgment by peers to resolve disputes in the event of a conflict between oneself and other thieves, or between thieves whenever possible.

If necessary, participate in such inquiries if called upon.

Punish any offending thief who breaks the thieves code as decided by the judgement of the community- be that a gang, guild, residents, in a given prison or prison cell.

Not resist carrying out the decision of punishing the offending thief who is found guilty, of violating the code.

This was the code taught to me as a young member of the Shadow Thieves back in Athkatla, and let me tell you what I've come to realize about all of it. It's pointless, there's no honor among thieves, no shared respect, just survival and self-preservation at any cost. These moral guides weigh down the weakest of us. Keep us anchored in place so that those above us can continue to claw at our shares.

People can say what they want about this place, Barovia, The Mists as a whole but it's a true test of your survival skills, your will to live and how quickly you're willing to bend or break given the chance to do so. And in this place, I feel like I've found a new home, a place I feel like I finally belong.

NND1

• New to the Mists
Re: The Art of the Steal
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 01:22:10 PM »
[Scribbled quickly under in the chapter notes a small section is added]

Never have a family of one's own: No marriage. No children; this does not, however, preclude one from having an unlimited number of lovers nor 'adopting' youth to act as a mentor.

This rule might be the one that I actually believe in, recently I've taken on some important jobs. Which in truth is a damned shame because I've slowly grown close to several within the mists. The truth of it is... She was a ray of sunshine, a warm summer rain, a bright fire on a cold winter’s day, and now she's dead because I cannot afford the weakness. I cannot afford the bump in the road, I cannot afford to become a street urchin again, I refuse to give up what I've worked for here for the sake of a warm bed and a fleeting smile. That knife was the heaviest I've ever used, I could hardly bear the weight of it as I pushed it into her while she slept but better for me to have done it then someone looking to harm me.

NND1

• New to the Mists
Re: The Art of the Steal
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 04:08:48 AM »
[Another small addition is added at the bottom of the page]

Today I crushed a rat. Cleaned the streets of a plague. I'm unsure if I should feel guilty for this action. I suppose I'll have to consider this while I drown myself in the spoils of a rat-catcher.