You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Message for Ilinca Cristescu  (Read 1499 times)

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
Message for Ilinca Cristescu
« on: March 08, 2018, 11:14:38 AM »
A message held for Ilinca Cristescu is delivered via a Vistani courier at Mist Camp.  The Vistani gives the letter only to the intended recipient and to no other

Dear Ilinca Cristescu

Allow me to preface this letter by saying another wrote it for me, only to guarantee its communicative function.  Otherwise, you may have gotten a rather messy letter, difficult to decipher. 

Rhetra is the name I go by within these misty lands.  This letter, think of it as a way of introduction and the beginning foray into a deep thought.  Recently, a new acquaintance asked tranquilly for the reason these lands tend to 'empower' those of other worlds who enter its borders.  It was a valid question. 

Why do others from distant, displaced worlds seem to acquire here talents unknown to them elsewhere?

When quietly probing the natives, your name came up as a possible scholar to inquire with.  I would love to hear your insight, if you have any, on the matter. 

Feel free to leave a letter with the Vistani in Mist Camp, and do not worry, I have already left an amount to cover your letter -- don't let them tell you otherwise.  Movement has me bouncing between several locations -- Mist Camp, Korfburg or the lands of my Kin, Degannwy. 

Hope to hear from you soon!

Humbly,
Rhetra

The letter ends with a quirky little paw print in red ink
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Ehver

• Dark Lord
Re: Message for Ilinca Cristescu
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 07:14:56 AM »
Rather belatedly, a letter arrives with the Vistani.

Dearest Rhetra,

I will admit that your letter came as quite a surprise, and I have spent some time mulling over the question you have presented me. Not being an Outlander myself, I am afraid I cannot speak to the experiences that most Outlanders face upon arriving in these lands. I can, however, present you with a humble theory that may or may not touch on the reality of the situation.

Why do others from distant, displaced worlds seem to acquire here talents unknown to them elsewhere?

I think the answer to this question might actually be far simpler than one might expect. In their own lands, I imagine Outlanders lived quite usual lives - the same kinds of lives that their kindred lived, facing the same kind of challenges and overcoming them in the same kind of ways, more or less. Being brought to an unfamiliar - and often hostile - land, however, forces these Outlanders into a situation unlike any they would have ever been likely to face in their homelands. In order to survive, they are thus forced to acquire talents they never would have had the chance (or need) to seek out in their own lands.

I think the acquisition of these unusual talents is perhaps simply a matter of circumstances - Outlanders, especially in Barovia, are in the peculiar position of being unwelcome in almost any and every field. To carve their place in this world, it seems, most turn towards more dangerous areas of work, and in doing so, either perish or rise to the challenge.

I do hope that my humble opinion proves valuable to you in some fashion, and I look forward to any further correspondance, should you desire such.

Sincerely,
Ilinca Cristescu
Ilinca Cristescu - Urban Witch
Player Faction: The Mistraiders

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
Re: Message for Ilinca Cristescu
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:03:53 AM »

Dear Ilinca Cristescu,

It is wonderful to have received your letter! Your notion has left my mind considering for a few days.  And, I believe your theory hits upon a concept we perhaps should investigate further due to its potentiality. 

That unusual stress, an almost continuous challenge placed upon a sentient being, can provoke said being to rise above and beyond their own limitations, giving rise to unexpected, perhaps, latent talents buried deep within.  From your words, I can safely assume you are a native, or as close as one can be.  In sheer contrast, I am as far displaced as one could be.  My existence was founded upon a city that floats in the sky.  When I read your concept, at first I was hesitant till two realizations struck.

First, my world is not a peaceful, idyllic land.  There is a delicate balance between warring philosophies, as streets are crowed with citizens from differing lands, often at war with one another.  The wrong word can often get you, as the vernacular goes, "Penned into the Dead Book."   And in this throng of chaos, you often see individuals exhibit talents that are often unexplained, beyond the scope of normalcy, even for the city.  The stress of my world could very well have provoked that reaction in its citizens, like these lands do here.

Second, I know of the apprehension this land and its citizens have to the use of magic.  I also know of those natives who practice the Art.  They are, on the whole, powerful practitioners.  I can only image the stresses that must impose on the mind of a secretly learned warlock, hiding from friends and neighbors a skill they have been nurturing. 

If stress is a catalyst, and we don't know yet if it is or isn't, then that opens another avenue of thought. Could the "quality" of stress produce a different series of talents and skills?  Could an ultimate expression of stress produce an ultimate expression of abilities, if the user where able to survive the stress itself?  I have heard of those who have undergone the machinations of these dark lands, undergoing changes and acquiring exceptional abilities at a cost.   

Would this be too outlandish a concept?

Feel free to leave another letter with the Vistani in Mist Camp, and do not worry, I have already left another amount to cover your letter -- don't let them tell you otherwise, though it seems they have been honest in their dealings up till now.   

Hope to hear from you soon!

Humbly,
Rhetra

The letter ends with a quirky little paw print in red ink
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-