You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Magical Varnish Does not work on Bow and Crossbow  (Read 1094 times)

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
Magical Varnish Does not work on Bow and Crossbow
« on: February 18, 2018, 04:50:54 PM »
As the title said, varnishes work on arrows and bolts, but magical varnishes that give bow and crossbow enchant to beat DR does not work. Magical varnishes on bolts and arrows does not help beat DR.  This is same with gloves.

Song of Danta

Re: Magical Varnish Does not work on Bow and Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:25:11 AM »
Brought this matter up a couple of years ago, but there was never an answer as to why the varnishes couldn't/shouldn't be coded to work on bows.

Melee and bows both have different materials that allow the wielder to pass the DR of various opponents.

Melee and bows can both have spells that grant an enhancement bonus cast on them.

Melee weapons can have varnishes used upon them. Bows... can't.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Re: Magical Varnish Does not work on Bow and Crossbow
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:33:29 AM »
If I had to guess, I'd wager it's because a varnish applied to a bow doesn't really have any logical effect on the missile being fired. I think that any bow/crossbow's ability to bypass DR represents the fact that it fires the missile so fast that it hits hard enough to punch through that protection. Applying a varnish to arrows on the other hands makes logical sense because that's the actual thing that's hitting your target. That being said, if certain varnishes aren't applying to the ammo it's likely an oversight but all of this is just speculation on my part so take it with a grain of salt.