Author Topic: Stream lining command and rolls  (Read 2002 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Stream lining command and rolls
« on: February 15, 2018, 01:36:50 AM »
I was struggling to roll a skill earlier, wanting immediately to type @perform instead of [perform] and it hit me - wouldn't this be a great way to handle commands such as rolls?

What it would do is cut down on the need to type [bracketted commands] in the talk, whisper, or party channels, because @command would automatically be unseen except for the action, which would be the roll itself. For example, @str, @discipline, @perform, @con, @dex, so on.

Might not be the highest of priorities, but I hope it does interest some others.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
Re: Stream lining command and rolls
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 04:56:46 AM »
 :fonzie: I like it !

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 06:41:10 AM »
This would make a lot of sense to me. We have the @emote already, having the rest changed over to the @-functions would make it a bit less confusing and eliminate the need to shift between. Could even be added as a command like @roll[skill/stat/die]?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

QDS

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 10:42:26 AM »
Hmm... would't a @ command enable rolling stats and skills while your pc is in an animation?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:48:02 AM by QDS »
Rock'n'rolla...

Eliah

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 03:37:07 PM »
Yes, please, this. Even if initially it's a basic alias to the bracket commands (although I have no idea how the interpreter/parser works).

I think it would also be nice to have a simplified DC series to check against (easy/medium/hard/etc, or some sort of scale). But I'd want to be able to add modifiers to the roll myself. That's getting fancier than is likely needed.
latest UID: Karas
aka Kurn "Shrooms" Lakeheart

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 09:40:31 PM »
While I don't have anything against this idea, I just want to point out that you can type rolls and emotes into the party chat if you want to hide the command itself but still trigger the roll/animation itself.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 08:31:07 PM »
Hmm... would't a @ command enable rolling stats and skills while your pc is in an animation?
Would it?
There's a new animation that looks like you're bracing against a door or grappling or doing pushups and all that, wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to break the animation to do the roll?

While I don't have anything against this idea, I just want to point out that you can type rolls and emotes into the party chat if you want to hide the command itself but still trigger the roll/animation itself.

Yeah, I mentioned that in the original post. IDK if it's just me but sometimes I struggle with that lol. /p [perform] is clunky to me and sometimes i have to type it over and again to make it work. It's a small thing, ultimately. Maybe it would also be an answer to the classic 'Emote Fail' trope. You know. Where you are doing something like this:

[His eyes fall darkly on his foe.]

*FALLS TO THE GROUND FACE FIRST*

Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 11:05:37 PM »
Would it?
There's a new animation that looks like you're bracing against a door or grappling or doing pushups and all that, wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to break the animation to do the roll?

Yeah, I mentioned that in the original post. IDK if it's just me but sometimes I struggle with that lol. /p [perform] is clunky to me and sometimes i have to type it over and again to make it work. It's a small thing, ultimately. Maybe it would also be an answer to the classic 'Emote Fail' trope. You know. Where you are doing something like this:

[His eyes fall darkly on his foe.]

*FALLS TO THE GROUND FACE FIRST*

|

Ahahahah, yes it would definitely cut down on accidental emotes which id loooooooooove, but it would also remove auto firing a emote during a bracketed emote, with the new system you would have to do "[Waves]" and then also do @waves. So it would still be a hit and miss. But i do agree with the idea to streamline such to be a single method, rather then spread out.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 11:20:54 PM »
/p [perform] is clunky to me and sometimes i have to type it over and again to make it work.

Not for nothing, but it doesn’t work that way, unless you mean you keep typing so fast and hitting enter that you type it wrong.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 11:23:47 PM »
/p [perform] is clunky to me and sometimes i have to type it over and again to make it work.

Not for nothing, but it doesn’t work that way, unless you mean you keep typing so fast and hitting enter that you type it wrong.

<_< what do you mean?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 11:25:41 PM »
It can’t not fire if you type it correctly.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 11:30:18 PM »
ah yes. I mean I sometimes struggle to type it correctly. Pretty sure it's subject to many typos, (teh, -ign), because when you're really into RP, it seems like you have to physically stop to bracket right. At least for me. Like it breaks the flow of RP or I am trying to move too fast. /p [heal] for example would send my emote to the party chat. IDK sometimes i struggle with that, like I might do /w or just [heal] if I am rushing, and that's if i don't mess up the brackets with } \ etc. to me, @heal is more intuitive with the system. Like @findseat and @seatme, we could, instead of putting the new animations in brackets (right now they are @emote #1-39) they could be @dances, @braces, @pushups, etc, and then the party chat/bracket thing is poof. 

Anywhoo.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 11:35:58 PM »
You can also key common ones to macros, so you can perform any emote with the push of a single button.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 12:27:50 AM »
Yeah, I mentioned that in the original post.

So you did, heh. I don't know I missed that. I'd claim I was stoned or drunk, but I definitely wasn't. Guess I just can't read anymore.