Author Topic: Suggestion: Application For Closured Character "Perks"  (Read 6818 times)

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
Re: Suggestion: Application For Closured Character "Perks"
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2018, 08:45:03 AM »
Before I give my thoughts, I will preface this by saying that I have closed several  characters during my time here, and hope to wrap up stories for long-term shelved characters as well.

I find immense satisfaction in seeing stories through to the end. If I start watching a film or tv programme, I usually have to watch it to the end to see that conclusion. I feel uncomfortable when I have to leave a story unfinished for whatever reason. So, when I conclude a character’s story, not only do I enjoy seeing how it may affect other characters, but it also helps me to focus on other or new characters.

I’ve had characters go out in various ways, big and small, noble and cowardly. It gives me a chance to think about the story as a whole and that brings me a lot of happiness as a very ‘tidy’ person. I also love to see action and failure to act bring about consequences.

I will admit, perhaps selfishly, that there are times when I see characters about and wonder what else they will contribute to the narrative, or whether they have ‘run their course’. Oftentimes I am corrected by actions they take, and I feel quite bashful about it! I know that sometimes the sudden unexplained disappearance of characters that stories are developing with can make it difficult for the story to flow naturally (and I say this while painfully aware of my reduced activity at the moment). It can be jarring and in the short term, difficult for the story to continue if characters vanish for the fear of their story being ended. Again, as a matter of personal preference, I relish conflict-heavy stories. I don’t necessarily mean CvC or PvP in that, but if everything is going wonderfully for a character, while a nice change of pace for me, it can be dull to play for extended periods. I am not saying I need death and explosions everywhere, but having difficulties, trials and gnawing questions to answer make a character much more interesting to play, in my mind.

Ultimately, I do see an appeal to sweetening the deal for those folks who decide to round off their chapter in the server’s story, but I know it’s not practical and is counter to the philosophy of everyone starting from scratch every time. Where you usually have a blank sheet, you’ve suddenly added a bit of outline or framework that other people don’t have or can access. I know for a fact that several of our great community members would use these perks as part of their storytelling playstyle, merely as another string to their bow. It could also  leave a question mark , fairly or not, over the heads of players who genuinely enjoy completing stories, and might have people questioning their motives or crying favouritism.

For these reasons, I think the system should stay as it is. As we have seen just today, closures are received positively by the community and give people a chance to reflect on the stories that were told together.

Hopefully we will share many more :)

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2018, 09:00:08 AM »
I relish conflict-heavy stories. I don’t necessarily mean CvC or PvP in that, but if everything is going wonderfully for a character, while a nice change of pace for me, it can be dull to play for extended periods. I am not saying I need death and explosions everywhere, but having difficulties, trials and gnawing questions to answer make a character much more interesting to play, in my mind.

Coincidentally, I was asking another player whether she wanted anything "bad" to happen to her character only last night because of my own attitude toward Iridni and this same paradox. On the one hand, I like her very much and am very protective of her. I want her to be happy. I almost feel guilty for putting her in risky situations as though she is doing whatever I tell her and trusting me to look out for her...yet here I go betraying that trust in a way. I mean, in Barovia, everyone knows you don't go out at night!

But on the other hand, I don't want her to be a pampered and spoiled little princess who never experiences any hardship. She needs to prove what she has inside her, as well as generally grow up. And that can be accomplished only by "having difficulties and trials."

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

MJ_Johansson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »
Well, I'll say that closuring my main was the best decision I ever made. While I loved playing that char, having felt what it's like to give up a char you love made me less scared of taking risks on other chars.

I dont think we need any sort of rewards for a closure to be honest. If the char had enough impact or was famous enough the signs will be there in the PCs that remember them. I closured some minor chars here and there, but closuring out your first "main character" is a big one I think. Once you get past that hurdle it seems less scary to lose your character, to me at least.

It -is- hard for me to get into a new char though, I take a long time to figure out who a character should be or if I even like them, and even longer to get involved in any RP if my character doesnt already know people but, I have come to realize that's also a good thing. When you get through those first moments, at least for those of us who struggle with them, and find your footing on a new char, you get to experience the server in whole new ways, that in itself is a reward which you earn for yourself by commiting to a new char.

My two cents, anyway.
"Let love guide you, not fear."

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »
A major problem with this theoretical perk system is that you have the whole gauging the rewards on an already arbitrary judgement of a powergrinded low-involved 20 that sat on the shelf for years until now vs. the 10 level high-involved vs. the 15 medium-involved that died before these perks happened vs. the same but with MPC closures vs. the level 8 that has 50 skill in almost all of the crafts vs. THE GUARDA LADUL YOU THINK YOU SHOULD GET PERKS OUTLANDERS LABUL WHERE IS MY PIMP ASS STARTING A LANCE CORPORAL AND 20k in THE BANK LADUL TELL ME YOU FILTHY WITCHY FEYBLOODED PC USERS.
Istavan Donner

Mentfrost

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2018, 08:03:50 PM »
what
Login/IRC name: Mentfrost
Yuki Kimura
Mainane Smith

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »
I think this thread has run its course.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.