Author Topic: Subrace : Troll  (Read 1950 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Subrace : Troll
« on: February 09, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »
Just a suggestion I've been meaning to put forward.

As some may know, I do like playing monster-like races. And I recently came upon a friendly troll in har'akir, so it IS possible for trolls to have vastly different alignments.Unlikely, but possible.

The way I could see it work:

Base race : Half-orc

*ELC : +5

*+12 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +12 Constitution, –4 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom, –4 Charisma.

*Large size: –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on knockdown, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.

*Darkvision

*+5 Natural AC

*Regenerate : +5

*Fire & Acid damage vulnerability : 50%

*Natural weapons : 1d6 claw attack

*Unable to wear armor ( unless custom-made : RP-wise?)

*Unable to wield weapons

*Can"t be a monk (Too powerful, maybe?)

booksarefun666

Re: Subrace : Troll
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:42:33 PM »
Do you recommend it be tied behind an application?

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »
I don't think there's a snowball chance this will be approved, and I'm not expert enough on mechanics to know how balanced it is.

But!

Obviously it would need to be applied for because of the need to control the number of troll PCs.

Also, ECL of 5 is just crazy. If that's accurate, then the interpretation would be you get to start at 7th level. You'd also spend a very, very long time at that level. The two together don't comport well with a server in which most of our character development is supposed to occur in game.

I think a desire to play "monster-like races" should be channelled into AMPCs/MPCs. With creativity isn't there wa way to play them a little less overtly hostile? Because a troll is going to be treated like a monster in Barovia, regardless of the PC's intent. Or at least should be!

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 04:54:13 PM »
As an AMPC? Maybe, as a regular race, never.  (and even as an AMPC, these stats would be way too high)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:16:50 PM by ASymphony »

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »
Do you recommend it be tied behind an application?

All ECL subraces require an app. So by being an ECL subrace, it would.
Not all who wander are lost.

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 10:02:25 PM »
Figured it'd be a longshot, true. But better to ask then to wonder forever!

Yes, indeed, App required!

As for the stats, I took that from a 3.5 conversion, from www.dandwiki.com.

I could see it working as an AMPC, definitely. Something for places like Har'akir?

Though, if a troll can't be considered for PC use, what about a half-troll? (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/halftroll.shtml):

ELC : +4  => Change to +3, bring it in lines with Tanarukk and Zenythiri?

Natural Armor : +4 => Seems a bit high to me, especially with the extra dex. +2, maybe?

Darkvision

Fast-Healing 5 => Doesn't even make sense RP-wise. Half-trolls heal as fast as regular trolls? Fast healing 2 or 3, maybe.

Stats : Str +6, Dex +2, Con +6, Int -2, Cha -2. => I'd say Str +4, Dex +2, Con +2, Int -2, Cha -4 would work better in this server.

Size Giant => Seeing as that doesn't exist ingame, and the limitations with models,  I'd say Size Large would be best, no?

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
Trolls are indeed +5 Level adjustment in 3.5 but their racial ability modifiers are as follows : +12 Str, +4 Dex, +12 Con, -4 Int, -2 Wis, -4 Cha and they have +5 natural armor and regeneration 5.  No homebrew write up required, they are in the base game my friend.

No suitable for a player character, but perhaps a quite strong AMPC type, if ever implemented.

Edit: seems you already posted in the OP, sorry did not see that at first

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »
Addendum protip for all would be monster races players or DMs in 3.5:

All monsters are going to have a +0 modifier ability array by the book, so to get the ability modifier you simply subtract whatever amount would be required to get a 10 or 11 in that ability. That is where the troll ability modifiers come from.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

A minor Glamour

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 07:10:22 AM »
Only as an MPC please, and the 1 friendly troll is more than enough in this universe. I  :censored: hate this friendly moster nonesense, I blame Drizzt Do'Urden for this  :bonk:

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 11:23:33 AM »
Only as an MPC please, and the 1 friendly troll is more than enough in this universe. I  :censored: hate this friendly moster nonesense, I blame Drizzt Do'Urden for this  :bonk:

I agree fully with this, actually. Chaotic/neutral (never lawful) good trolls or even half-trolls would be -EXTREMELY- rare, due to what the race is like.

So if it's considered at all :

-Trolls as a MPC, alignment should be evil, maybe neutral.
-Half-trolls as a +3 ELC race, aligment can be neutral/evil.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 11:04:04 PM »
Hi there. I appreciate the time you took in submitting your proposal, but I invite you to consider a few things in regards to PC subraces and AMPCs.

1) For a wide array of reasons, going from the game engine limitations to balance issues, we only consider subraces from official and published D20 sources applying to the standard selection of races: Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes Elves, Halflings, Half-Elves and Half-Orcs. And from those, only if the game engine can allow to reasonably emulate their racial traits. That is not to say we would never consider other races if they were a good fit for the Ravenloft setting, but right now adding new PC races is not practical. That might change with NWN:EE.

2) Similarly for AMPCs, we look for templates that can be added to existing PCs. Right now they mostly come from the Ravenloft sourcebooks themselves, but we are open to options from other settings provided it fits well in the Gothic Horror genre. I suggest going through D20 monster manuals that would be where you find most creature templates. Again, the game engine ability to properly emulate the AMPC special abilities is crucial. Balance comes into play as well, we have turned down many templates (the Ravenloft's Dhampir one comes to mind) because we thought them too powerful, and they were less powerful than your troll.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 11:35:48 PM »
Hi there. I appreciate the time you took in submitting your proposal, but I invite you to consider a few things in regards to PC subraces and AMPCs.

1) For a wide array of reasons, going from the game engine limitations to balance issues, we only consider subraces from official and published D20 sources applying to the standard selection of races: Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes Elves, Halflings, Half-Elves and Half-Orcs. And from those, only if the game engine can allow to reasonably emulate their racial traits. That is not to say we would never consider other races if they were a good fit for the Ravenloft setting, but right now adding new PC races is not practical. That might change with NWN:EE.

2) Similarly for AMPCs, we look for templates that can be added to existing PCs. Right now they mostly come from the Ravenloft sourcebooks themselves, but we are open to options from other settings provided it fits well in the Gothic Horror genre. I suggest going through D20 monster manuals that would be where you find most creature templates. Again, the game engine ability to properly emulate the AMPC special abilities is crucial. Balance comes into play as well, we have turned down many templates (the Ravenloft's Dhampir one comes to mind) because we thought them too powerful, and they were less powerful than your troll.

Speaking of Dhampir, is there any intention to possibly scale down their power to introduce them in the future? For an example, maybe when a relatively high population of vampires can be introduced simultaneously - both contrasting with one another and helping level each others' population, while introducing that classical fear factor that POTM has been missing of late (aside from the current and infamous AMPC and MPC).

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 06:04:07 AM »
No, the Dhampir stats are to remain as is. A tool to be used by DMs in their plots.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.