Author Topic: Detailed List of New Spells - Hak Update  (Read 2434 times)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Detailed List of New Spells - Hak Update
« on: January 21, 2018, 12:49:37 AM »
We've added a few new spells in this hak update, some for flavor (Ravenloft spells), some we felt were missing.

First of all, we have added Protection from Chaos/Protection from Law and Magic Circle vs Chaos/Magic Circle vs Law (which work like their Evil/Good counterparts). The saving throw bonuses will stack but not the AC (since it's Deflection).

Additionally, we are going to remove the following two spells:

Monstrous Regeneration (replaced by Regenerate Serious Wounds, which has the exact same effects, for consistency's sake)
Greater Sanctuary (replaced by Ethereal Jaunt, refer to topic about the change)

Enhance Wild Shape
Spoiler: show
Spell Level: Druid 4
Innate Level: 4
School: Transmutation
Descriptor(s):
Component(s): Verbal, Somatic
Range: Personal
Area of Effect / Target: Caster
Duration: 1 Hour / Level
Additional Counter Spells:
Save: None
Spell Resistance: No

You call upon the primordial energies of nature to fill you with the raw power of nature. A feral feeling grows within you, seeking release. This spell infuses your wild shape ability with magical energy, magnifying and enhancing its power. The next time you activate your wild shape (or greater wild shape and elemental shape) ability (during the duration of enhance wild shape), this spell enhances your new form. The new form assumed is more powerful than normal and gains a +2 bonus to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution. The enhancement to your wild shape remains as long as you stay in that form but does not apply to your next wild shape form. If you do not activate your wild shape ability during the duration of enhance wild shape, the spell has no effect.

Shock Treatment
Spell Level: Wizard / Sorcerer 2
Innate Level: 2
School: Evocation
Descriptor(s): Electricity
Range: Medium
Area of Effect / Target: Single
Duration: 1 Round / 3 Levels
Save: Fortitude
Spell Resistance: Yes

You create a short stroke of electricity that arcs from your hand to the target creature. This bolt of electricity deals 1d6 points of electricity damage. In addition, the target must make a Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round per 3 caster levels (maximum 5 rounds). Creatures who are immune to electricity are also immune to the stun effect.

Ethereal Jaunt
Spell Level: Cleric 7; Wizard / Sorcerer 7
Innate Level: 7
School: Transmutation
Descriptor:
Component: Verbal, Somatic
Range: Personal
Area of Effect / Target: Caster
Duration: 1 Turn + 1 Round / Level
Save: None.

The caster becomes ethereal. An ethereal creature is invisible and insubstantial. As an insubstantial creature, the caster can move through other living creatures (but not walls or objects) and cannot be affected by physical or magical damage or effects. However, force effects (Magic Missile, Isaac's Greater Magic Storm and Isaac's Lesser Magic Storm) and abjurations affect an ethereal creature normally since their effects extend onto the Near Ethereal. An ethereal creature cannot attack other creatures, acquire items or gold, or cast spells. Casting spells or performing a hostile action will make the etherealness vanish.

Regenerate Light Wounds
Spell Level: Cleric 2; Druid 1
Innate Level: 1
School: Conjuration
Descriptor(s): Healing
Range: Touch

The target creature gains the ability to regenerate 1 hit point every round. This spell does not allow the target creature to regrow or attach lost body parts.

Regenerate Moderate Wounds
Spell Level: Cleric 3; Druid 2
Innate Level: 2

The target creature gains the ability to regenerate 2 hit points every round. This spell does not allow the target creature to regrow or attach lost body parts.

Regenerate Serious Wounds
Spell Level: Cleric 5; Druid 4
Innate Level: 4

The target creature gains the ability to regenerate 3 hit points every round. This spell does not allow the target creature to regrow or attach lost body parts.

Regenerate Critical Wounds
Spell Level: Cleric 6; Druid 5
Innate Level: 5

The target creature gains the ability to regenerate 4 hit points every round. This spell does not allow the target creature to regrow or attach lost body parts.

As a FYI, just like now, none of the Regenerate effect spells will stack.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:52:02 AM by EO »

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
Re: Detailed List of New Spells - Hak Update
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 02:40:32 AM »
First of all, these new spells does seem refreshing and somehow balancing i.e. buffing wild shapes which are used but not that often (not many druids to begin with), adds an AOE for arcanists instead of the pure buffing and nerfs a really popular spell which will bring casters to do so adjustments/thinking.

Then there's the regenerative spells which does sound quite powerful, since as far as I know regeneration would heal you even after being knocked down. But an other idea I would like to put on the table would be the inclusion of some "bleeding" spells, as some sort of counter balance. Not only that, but also all the Evil RPing that could come with it as part of torture, just to name one idea. I also wonder why, as far as my dungeoning experience goes, the bleeding effect isn't often part of a monster's "kit".

Basicly, it would be like the Inflict wounds or the Healing spells. And again, those spells seems fun to play with.

(Sorry if I'm not supposed to put feedback on this post)
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 03:38:13 AM »
Two questions;

Will Enhance Wild Shape stack with other modifier spells like Bull's Strength, Ram's Might, Cat's Grace and Bear's Constitution?

Removing the body-part restoration effect of Monstrous Regeneration means that now those that have been crippled and seek restoration of their lost limbs have to locate an even higher level character to cast Regenerate on them; obviously intentional so that it's less easy for low level Clerics and Druids to reattach missing limbs. Is Regeneration being left as-is so that this opportunity remains open?

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »
Two questions;

Will Enhance Wild Shape stack with other modifier spells like Bull's Strength, Ram's Might, Cat's Grace and Bear's Constitution?

Removing the body-part restoration effect of Monstrous Regeneration means that now those that have been crippled and seek restoration of their lost limbs have to locate an even higher level character to cast Regenerate on them; obviously intentional so that it's less easy for low level Clerics and Druids to reattach missing limbs. Is Regeneration being left as-is so that this opportunity remains open?

Enhance Wild Shape stacks with other buffs up to the +12 limit.

And indeed the change is intentional and Regenerate itself remains as is, like in PnP.

Then there's the regenerative spells which does sound quite powerful, since as far as I know regeneration would heal you even after being knocked down. But an other idea I would like to put on the table would be the inclusion of some "bleeding" spells, as some sort of counter balance. Not only that, but also all the Evil RPing that could come with it as part of torture, just to name one idea. I also wonder why, as far as my dungeoning experience goes, the bleeding effect isn't often part of a monster's "kit".

Basicly, it would be like the Inflict wounds or the Healing spells. And again, those spells seems fun to play with.

(Sorry if I'm not supposed to put feedback on this post)

At this point I don’t plan to add more spells (mainly a matter of wanting to get this hak released). Wounding spells aren’t a bad idea but don’t really counter regens. We also already have monsters with the Wounding property, that does that. A proper counter to regen would be a spell that stops the regeneration process or prevents it (ie: an aura).

Eliah

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
Do the regenerate spells function with Extend Spell?
latest UID: Karas
aka Kurn "Shrooms" Lakeheart

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 04:54:03 PM »
Do the regenerate spells function with Extend Spell?

They should if Regenerate does.