Author Topic: Bows V Crossbows - Specific game mechanics  (Read 183 times)

A minor Glamour

• Outlander
Bows V Crossbows - Specific game mechanics
« on: January 07, 2018, 06:38:43 AM »
Ive always prefered to play ranged characters with crossbows, because I have a personal preference for them. I think a character using a crossbow is much cooler than a bow. I play a lot of wizards and sorcerers so naturally I'm drawn to crossbows because I feel they make more sense for a character to use, and I don't have to initially spend any feats to use one. I've known for a long time that crossbows are a poorer choice for characters though, they are slower to fire in game, and rapid fire can't be used, until the game was patched the rapid reload feat didn't even work, but I kept using them because I still felt they made more sense for most of my characters to use, and I didn't really care much about builds all that much.

Recently though I've started using a short bow for one of my characters who would normally use a crossbow, and I got totally blown away by how much better the short bow was. Normally I'd be firing about 10 bolts at a deer and I'd miss every time  :roll:, until finally after running around the map chasing after it for an eternity I killed it (Why won't you just die!!!) and I'm really curious what the mechanical reasons are why it's like suddenly gaining 5 new levels just by switching to the short bow over my beloved crossbow.

Did they screw up the code, or are their some logical set of hidden mechanics that explain why crossbows can't hit a barn door at 10 paces? Do crossbows even out past a certain level and become more in lined with short bows by a certain level or with enough AB or something? OR is their something else that I'm just missing completely?

CosmicRay

• Dark Lord
  • I can do no wrong, for I know not what it is.
Re: Bows V Crossbows - Specific game mechanics
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:35:48 AM »
The differences between shortbows and light crossbows are:

Shortbows use arrows, light crossbows use bolts.

Shortbows do d6 damage, light crossbows do d8

Shortbow criticals are 20, x3. Light crossbows are 19-20, x2

Number of attacks per round scale normally with a shortbow as your BAB goes up. Crossbows are limited to 1 attack per round, unless you have Rapid Reload.

Shortbows benefit from Rapid Shot, crossbows do not.

That's it.

A minor Glamour

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »
Well I knew all that, and that wasn't what I meant. It seems to me just by observing that if I pick up a crossbrow with a charecter and shoot something, the vast majority of times I'll miss, I can have a entire GUI window (whatever it's called) filled with miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, one after the other. If I swap to a bow with the same character, I'll hit it within 3 shots, usually in one shot. I'm not even talking about doing critical hits, I just seem to hit more often with a shortbow, it would probably be the same with a longbow but I like the way short bows look, I think long bows are too big so I prefer the short. It seems to me like there is something broken, it's just a hunch, but has anyone else felt that?

CosmicRay

• Dark Lord
  • I can do no wrong, for I know not what it is.

A minor Glamour

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 05:13:13 PM »
lol

blastmaster

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:06:48 AM »
In new hak update certain feat will be added which will increase damage of crossbow. It's called "Crossbow sniper"

Spoiler: show

Type of Feat: General
Prerequisite: Weapon focus with light or heavy crossbow, Base attack bonus +1
Specifics: The character is skilled in lining up accurate, deadly shots with his crossbow. Perhaps he adds custom-made sights to his weapon, or he has learned to maximize the stability and precision the weapon offers. When using a crossbow for which he has the Weapon Focus feat, he gains a damage bonus equal to half his Dexterity bonus.
Use: Automatic