Author Topic: Secret doors  (Read 1719 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Secret doors
« on: January 03, 2018, 04:27:14 AM »
Could the time they remain visible be extended to easier allow for party members to follow through? lately, they seem to vanish almost instantly once through, leaving other party members stuck behind.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Secret doors
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 04:36:51 AM »
Could the time they remain visible be extended to easier allow for party members to follow through? lately, they seem to vanish almost instantly once through, leaving other party members stuck behind.

Which is why the one finding the door should always be the last to go through. As far as I know nothing was changed on that side, but I'll investigate.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 01:41:20 PM »
I confirm the script is unchanged. The duration is the same it has always been, 20 seconds.
Best Regards!
MAB

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 01:47:01 PM »
I confirm the script is unchanged. The duration is the same it has always been, 20 seconds.

Would nudging it up to 30 be out of the question?...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »
Is there a genuine need to though? 20 seconds served us well for more than a decade. Why would it become an issue now?
Best Regards!
MAB

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 02:11:57 AM »
It generally just feels a bit short. Would I class it as strictly necessary? No. But I'd put it as a nice to have.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 06:17:44 AM »
We'll discuss it at the next Dev meeting.
Best Regards!
MAB

A minor Glamour

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 06:19:10 AM »
In a game like this we process information by reading text (from other players) and observing everything that happens on screen, we then have to react and type out our characters speech or emotions, and then perhaps walk around the area and do stuff, maybe even go into our inventory which not everybody keeps orderly, wait for other characters to respond, and then tailor our actions based off what they type or what they do if there characters start moving around the area. So everything takes longer than it would if this was real life and we where actually all present. So 20 seconds to walk through a hidden door isn't very long at all before it vanishes, and we have to start over again. I can see why this can be an issue for a lot of people. I think an increase is a good idea.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 08:23:17 AM »
For me, it doesn't even feel like 20 seconds before the door just up and vanishes. But that could be because my one char is the one going through first? And yes as you pointed out perhaps I shouldn't, but when you're in a party, leading it and the one with the spot to find the hidden doors, you get rather blocked in by other party members who are gearing up to rush through before it does vanish. Making it last longer doesn't seem like it would have negative consequences? Especially when the times only being extended in the sense of more seconds.

Not suggesting it be revealed for like five minutes or anything, but bumping it to 30 or 40 seconds seems rather marginal in change that would make things a bit easier for players.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 08:52:21 AM »
A longer door time would be helpful. With larger groups, it's annoying trying to get everyone through before the door disappears. Then waiting for the door to appear again.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 10:29:01 PM »
I'll extend them to 45 seconds for convenience's sake.