Author Topic: New Prestige Classes  (Read 8348 times)

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: New Prestige Classes
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 04:30:57 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up .

Both of you :)

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 07:16:45 PM »
It's absolutely a powerful class.

And the True Neutral alignment restricts you to use that power in very limited ways.

All that magic and you have to more or less remain detached from the going ons of the world on a direct level. Keeping everything in balance and nothing more.

Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »
Changing gears from how powerful a wizard-cleric-hallowed witch is, I'd like to quote some things from the lore:

The core of a coven is three witches or warlocks. This is the smallest membership a coven can have and still be a functioning coven. As soon as a third member is added to the coven, all three of its members gain the extra powers that come with coven membership. The coven then grows from that point, and as the coven increases in numbers so do the magical powers that can be tapped by its members. The largest and most powerful covens have a maximum of thirteen members.

(Quoting the above from EO here http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=12945.msg149872#msg149872, but original source is stated as Van Richten Monster Hunter's Compendium III.)

And this is from Bluebomber http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=12945.msg567441#msg567441:

Witch/Warlock covens are a separate part of the Halan religion from the priesthood, although they work together. Witches/Warlocks pass their powers down through their descendents, so they often marry and have children (in fact, one has to be born into the tradition to become a witch/warlock; it is not something a person can convert to). The non-witch/warlock priesthood, however, seems to have a monastic tradition, with nuns and friars who apparently do not marry or have children.

Since we do not currently have a means to mechanically reproduce the natural-born powers of Halan witches/warlocks, it is assumed that players would be playing non-witch/warlock Halan priests.

Does any of that sound like wizardry? Not to me. It sounds like sorcery.

It would seem to follow then, that rather than being able to use wizardry to fulfill the arcane levels, the PC would have to use sorcerer (or perhaps bard).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:52:28 AM by Iridni Ren »

DM Cataclysm

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »
From my understanding, Sorcerer is not compatible for this type of class due to current NWN engine limitations. Since a class like this or Pale Master gives access to new spells per day, but doesn’t allow the character to learn spells - and as sorcerers can’t learn from scrolls, they wouldn’t be able to use magic for the new spells per day they’re gaining.

It might be a possibility in EE, but I’m not sure!

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 02:01:03 PM »
Per MAB, "any Halan Witch would be expected to maintain the highest rp standards." The class will also be gated behind an application, so that understanding of and adherence to the RP resources is going to be essential (I would think) in writing the app.

How does one RP "inherited" and "natural-born abilities" that are gained through learning scrolls and enscribing a spellbook?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »
Per MAB, "any Halan Witch would be expected to maintain the highest rp standards." The class will also be gated behind an application, so that understanding of and adherence to the RP resources is going to be essential (I would think) in writing the app.

How does one RP "inherited" and "natural-born abilities" that are gained through learning scrolls and enscribing a spellbook?

The PrC is from VRA, not the 2e books.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 10:36:54 PM »
And being an Halan Witch is so much more than inherited abilities. It is a solemn duty to protect the weave from whoever abusing it, be they heroic or villainous. They do not just hunt down hags, they keep tab on as many spellcasters as they can. Intervening when they deem it necessary. Next to the Ba'al Verzi, it is the ultimate secret society, requiring utmost dedication in hiding from others, even loved ones, the powers they hold. A necessity as you can bet the good church of Belenus, as well as the evil one of the Lawgiver will hunt them down! Really, you do not have to worry, RP will come easily to Halan Witches. It's practically knocking at their doors already.

My suggestion for the upcoming NCE? Inquisitors of Belenus vs Halan Witches. The good clerics of Tepest hunting down that elusive and subversive coven of witches which "threatens the soul of mortals".

If the idea interests you, PM me, stating on which side you'd like to get. I would discretely put players from each side in contact with each others so their cover is not publicly blown.

Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 01:55:45 AM »

You can't rp "inherited" and "natural-born abilities" gained through learning scrolls because any class that uses "inherited" and "natural-born abilties" for magic -can't- learn magic through scrolls. Only wizards can learn magic through scrolls and they do neither of those things, as Mika pointed out. That is a simple fact of D&D and will not be changed by the EE.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 02:00:28 AM »
As for my own feelings on the class, I think it would be pretty neat to see people who had bothered putting forth the rigorous rp required to achieve such a class at the risk of ruining their character completely achieve 15/17. That's just me, I've never felt any need for D&D to be "balanced" as so many seem to though. I've always enjoyed the imbalance that occurs from it, in fact. Life isn't fair, and if we strive for rp above all then why too should classes.

Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Razzen

• Outlander
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 06:51:08 AM »
I'm fine with the OP class as long as we don't see an influx of Halan Witches all of a sudden. I don't want like 5-10 witches just constantly running around the outskirts. One other thing, I might be pessimistic but the degree to which a DM can verify the quality of RP of a player is questionable. The reason for this being that it seems to me we're already low on DMs and therefore it might be hard for them to handle another "assignment".
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:52:44 AM by Arawn »

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2018, 08:53:35 AM »
Whoops, edited instead of replying.

In any case, that’s why we have applications evidenced with screenshots. And the CC decides PrC apps, not the DMs.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »
A few questions and remarks the GrimeTrekker class if I may.

1, Firstly does the FE of the class advance in synergy with other Favoured enemy classes?
Like say a level 5 ranger and a level 10 grimetrekker. Because the FE description in game says:

"These bonuses improve by +1 for every 5 levels in the class that granted the feat the character has."

So in this case if i understand well the ranger FE enemies remain +2, whereas the grimetrekker receveis +3 vs vermin.

2, Is there any level 10 bonus for taking up the PRC beside the sewer stalker and the FE? (if not seems very limited)

Remark:

I read the class and gave a few thoughts about it and came up with a few ideas, but sadly it is just not worth it. Mainly it is better for folks to remain pure rangers, since they also get the HIPS and they also get BANEbow.

The boosts that the class gives are sadly beside the underground hips and the sewer speed and skill bonuses quite useless.
Since they can be easily overcome with potions or even items:
-disease and poison saves: there are a lot of items that offer saves for each, not to mention neutralize poison and remove disease are also available to rangers, and potions.
-deep breath: with the abudance of mermaid bracers, does not seem really useful.
-special abilities of oozes: well that is mostly paralyze, daze, confused, and a few others maybe, that again...other spells and potions, and also quite restricted useage, since there is not such a huge variation of oozes and slimes.

- sewer legs: Quite useful if it would not be restricted to like 12 maps on the whole server.
- Sewer stalker: Quite useful but also restricted to like 12 maps on the whole server. (12 is just a rude estimation! but i doubt it is much more than +-5)
- HIPS in underground areas: very useful, and strange how the other two are restricted to sewers, yet this one is all underground, since it again can be the most useful in sewers where the sewer stalker bonuses are applied to it as well.

I really like this PRC, but mechanically speaking sadly it is not so great for the places it was meant to live and be. (Vallaki and Port sewers.)

It is much weaker than the same level ranger. The bonuses it receives are either VERY restricted use, or can be imitated by items, potions, or ranger spells, making it not worth to choose this over ranger. (beside the hips underground)
In vallaki sewers this class could be living quite easily and nearly undetected, however it would not really have any place to go thereafter, simply because the port sewers has a number of creatures that have "Tremorsense". As in it does not matter that the character can sneak or hips, he will be ALLWAYS detected by these creatures.

Currently i would say that taking up this class as either a rogue or a ranger is not worth it. (Especially since if you take it 5 levels are needed to be had in this one and each class loses out more than they gain.)
It also does not really make a good choice for other classes.(Barbs, or fighters)

I would suggest to add maybe another or two FE or two oozes, and insects, or shapeshifters. And make their skill and movement bonuses apply in all underground environments. This would make the class gain a more diverse use, and would allow them to not be restricted to the two sewer areas we have on the server.

And if possible make the class have synergy with other FE feats as well. (I am currently making this remark thinking that the FE bonuses of different FE classes do not stack! Like ranger 5 monster hunter 5 grimetrekker 5, would have a lot of Favoured enemies, but each one would be at best giving +2/+3 instead of +5 to each, which again loses in comparision to staying a pure ranger!)

Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant