Author Topic: Upcoming revision of the parry system to include shields  (Read 1346 times)

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
  • Do you think this is a #&^&ing game, domn?
Re: Upcoming revision of the parry system to include shields
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 03:18:06 PM »
You're really cherry-picking for this. Your example rogue will have decent AC but it'll never hit anything. You're dual-wielding two medium-sized weapons that don't take advantage of weapon finesse. You're going to have like 12 ab at level 20, and you're going to have wasted a lot of feats to get there. If you were to fight your first and your second example against each other, the second one would win all day.
Fane Silivasi / Edwin Aubert / Marianne Sondheim / Nelu Stoichita
Ata Ubaid / Bruhm Blackwrought / Craven

Blight

• The Underworld
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 08:30:44 PM »
Maybe it's just me, and everybody knows that I don't do math, but from a nonmath standpoint I happen to think that it makes more sense that individuals wouldn't be often using tower shields anyways.

Nobody gets good with a tower shield lol. It's a giant wall you stick on front of you and poke spears around.  How "good" can u really get with a tower shield anyways?

Logically speaking, one man with a regular shield versus one man with a tower shield, I'd venture to say that the man wielding a smaller shield would win pretty much every time. It makes sense to me that people who train with without anchoring themselves to a wall would generally have more opportunity to train and become more skillful.

Tower shields were never intended to be used by a single person. They were meant to be used by several.

I don't even know if it's possible, but what I would like to see is that each individual tower shield in a party increases everybody's AC by 1.

Probably not doable but man that would be some amazing scripting.

"HOLD THE LINE!"

...would have a really awesome new meaning
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

Iridni Ren

• Priestess of Pelor
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 10:59:42 PM »
A point that Keyser made before he edited that I thought was valid is that parrying with a shield IMO would be more of (or at least as much as) a strength-based skill as dexterity.

Perhaps instead of requiring a 15+ Dex it could require a 13+ Str and 13+ Dex? Or some other combination?

In game, shields tend to be very heavy. Regardless of a PC's coordination, I don't think she could whip a shield around if she's weak. The bigger the shield, the more this would be true.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 11:03:55 PM »
A point that Keyser made before he edited that I thought was valid is that parrying with a shield IMO would be more of (or at least as much as) a strength-based skill as dexterity.

Perhaps instead of requiring a 15+ Dex it could require a 13+ Str and 13+ Dex? Or some other combination?

In game, shields tend to be very heavy. Regardless of a PC's coordination, I don't think she could whip a shield around if she's weak. The bigger the shield, the more this would be true.

This is something I wholeheartedly agree with. To sacrifice other areas significantly for a single feat is self-destructive. 13 DEX would be great; it doesn't encouraging the 12 DEX powerbuilding, but isn't too cumbersome. 

Salty_Soykaf

• New to the Mists
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 10:45:45 PM »
I don't understand mechanics that well, but I do feel tower shields should be a party buff kind of item. Soley due to their role as a hunk of metal being strictly used in groups.
Maybe if you give it an AC group "aura" buff within a few meters, it'd validate it's usage and weight.

It's like what Blight said.
"HOLD THE LINE!" ...would have a really awesome new meaning