Author Topic: Experimental shader update (take 2)  (Read 2304 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Experimental shader update (take 2)
« on: January 29, 2019, 09:03:28 AM »
As part of my work on improving the rendering in NWN:EE, I have this small package for testing and previewing upcoming shaders that I hope some of you will try out. Among other things, they feature implementation of specular highlights on old content as well as proper linear light globally

This is an example of how specularity looks:

You can download them here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FcOxGTWLMnSQjZI8wiupAu8W1MeHHBDa (simply extract all to your override folder)

If you encounter any issues with them or have other feedback, please use this topic.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:58:53 AM by Zarathustra217 »

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
Re: Experimental shader update (take 2)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 11:25:47 AM »
The one criticism I have is that things that are nearly white appear exceptionally bright and too white. Example below:

The game looks decent enough with Vibrance and Contrast disabled (above), but in the spoilers (below) is my game with various differing options enabled. I am unsure if these shaders are meant to work with all those options enabled, or just specific ones.

Spoiler: show
Vibrance and Contrast Enabled:

Vibrance Only:

Contrast Only:

To fit the themes and atmosphere of the server, I think both those options should be disabled while using these shaders.

Regardless of my negative nancy self, magnificent work thus far, and I can't wait to see where this goes. :D

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
Thanks!

They are optimized for the current NWN core content so it's not unlikely that we will have to tweak some of our areas (and especially weather) to fit. The same with some of the custom content like weapons and armor, but it should be okay most of the time.

Also, I did a tiny error in the prior upload that's too tiny to even acknowledge with a version of it's own, but if you are as obsessed as me about details, consider redownloading the package above.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »
It's hard to get a screen shot of it, because the lightning happens so fast, but lightning bolts from bad weather are now more like a quick all white screen rather than the standard lightning. I would need some one who could do call lightning or a dm to spawn some bolts to see if it is a detriment.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Nihilus

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 09:33:22 AM »
In the area of ​​forest with the ogre mages (Between Tser and Vallaki) the character looks partially black (On the side where it does not receive any illumination). I will try to make a screen the next time I pass by there.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 01:57:38 AM »
I've uploaded a version that hopefully fixes all reported issues. You can download it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FcOxGTWLMnSQjZI8wiupAu8W1MeHHBDa

Keep the feedback coming!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:59:09 AM by Zarathustra217 »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 10:52:03 AM »
Port-a-Lucine during the day with the shaders looks super dark as if it is night.

With the shader:

And without the shader

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »
Hi!  I've been checking this out.  I think there is some colossal aesthetic potential here, and the bulk of it looks great, but I have noticed spots where the contrast appears just way too high.  The light areas are sometimes too bright and the darks are too dark.  I think if the spectrum were narrowed a bit, this would look absolutely amazing.

Nice work!
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 03:41:38 AM »
I gave this one a shot and I gotta say, really love the contrast and shading. Alas, it is tanking my latency something fierce. Any ideas on how to solve it?

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »
Just wanted to chime in here,

Been playing with the shaders for a good while now and I think they are amazing. As someone who takes a million+ screenshots, these have really added much more dynamic to everything.

I know its a matter of taste, but I wanted to say I think this configuration is  great - The lighting is much more pronounced and there is a level of grit and darkness that isn't there when just playing vanilla. I've only ever noticed framerate drops in very misty areas., with multiple player characters emanating strong light sources.

Just wanted to say thanks for this, I hope its not the last. It really transforms the game.

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 12:42:07 AM »
Just wanted to chime in here,

Been playing with the shaders for a good while now and I think they are amazing. As someone who takes a million+ screenshots, these have really added much more dynamic to everything.

I know its a matter of taste, but I wanted to say I think this configuration is  great - The lighting is much more pronounced and there is a level of grit and darkness that isn't there when just playing vanilla. I've only ever noticed framerate drops in very misty areas., with multiple player characters emanating strong light sources.

Just wanted to say thanks for this, I hope its not the last. It really transforms the game.

I would echo everything HM has said including the shaders. the MC is the worst culprit, but the framerate for me is virtually unplayable with the shader on. Outside of MC though, it's great!