You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Chronicles of Rufus Thornberry  (Read 1151 times)

Ambrosius

• Dark Lord
Chronicles of Rufus Thornberry
« on: December 15, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »
Name: Rufus Thornberry
Race: Halfling "Kender"
Origin: Ansalon "Kendermore before its destruction"

Log One - My Past! and Barovia.

Well- where to begin with this personal chronicle, my name is probably a good place to start; Ru or rather Rufus Thornberry if being formal. Should I forget
the reasoning and importance of this journal in the years to come, “If I’m alive still” -might be because I’m no longer travelling my native lands of Ansalon, no!
as it would seem I’ve been spirited away to a place of misty terrors, dark and looming threats and very real evils- quite bizarre because it seemed as though I
did little more than lose my way on a road veiled with fog, how subtle-

The land which I now find myself in is Barovia, or rather the municipality of Vallaki. A township of man, not very friendly which is understandable considering
that which surrounds them. I can imagine for them it must be like living a nightmare; till one becomes use to the daily struggle of life.

The scene is set for Vallaki, one can garner much about it from the mere sight of the walls, of which cages hang with decayed bodies inside, and a dire warning
stating the laws of this land. I know all to well the perception my folk carry so I shall take special care to stay away from people…as best I can, luckily I’m some-
what quick on my feet, I am after all related to the great Uncle Trapspringer.

Perhaps some adventuring to learn of this land would be a good idea, I've unfortunately lost my coin upon arrival and I suspect the powers which
spirited me here might have -borrowed- it, all the same I'll find work; hopefully work which allows me to travel and explore, and earn this fang to eat.

And I mustn't forget, here I am surrounded in a strange land of Men, Elves, Dwarves and beasts; I've no illusion I'm prey to a lot who call this world home; so
I do think caution is prudent and beyond necessary if I desire to see the end of the week, I better learn to remain unnoticed when required.

Log Two- Krofburg! Supplies and Ezrites

Good news! I've learned of a way to earn a wage and explore as I'd hoped, the journey is perilous of course; I have found that supplies are often sorely needed
to be transported to far off locations around Barovia; so far I've found the most profitable and enlightening has been Krofburg, a dainty but busy settlement in
the far reaches of Mount Ghakis, freezing weather and ominous activities of late have done nothing to sway many from flocking there.

What I've been doing is transporting mining equipment to the Bellegarde, some trading or mining company up there for a fair amount of coin. Likewise on my
return I've picked up some odd jobs from local traders transporting goods back down the mountain to Vallaki; so work either way.

Krofburg itself is a lively town, surprisingly due to the discovery of massive silver deposits with many scurrying there in hopes of making their fortunes; I suppose
I too am here now doing some work. All the same the town has a fantastic winery so I lack not for drink and whats more is these Barovian folk of Krofburg
while withdrawn are less so than their low lying cousins in Vallaki; less distrustful and hateful towards those not their kin.

Upon completing a job and getting paid, I took notice of some gathering; I overheard it was an Ezrite sermon and while being the ignorant one in a foreign land
I was to curious not to investigate. I was allowed entry and sat quietly in the back, I was surprised when the guard with much ambivalence allowed a Caliban
inside for the sermon; as I understand these creatures are deeply loathed by the natives. I suppose the Ezrite faith is one of compassion in that case;
at least from these sermon I gathered that to be the case.

In fact- I owe my life to two Ezrites, for after the sermon dawn arrived and I gathered myself further work; as I strolled back down the mountain side with Ox in
tow I was set upon by a vicious creature which tore into my flesh, I remember little else other than losing a great deal of blood and slipping into
unconsciousness. Awaking in the Ezrite temple within the township of Vallaki before two of the Ezrites all clad in green. An Agnes and Varian if I remember their
names right.

So not all are so terrible here but I could do with taking some extra steps to avoid being in any ones debt, should I ever find myself in need again. For now I'll
continue with this sort of work, perhaps take supplies elsewhere, see the rest of Barovia! one cannot deny their curiosity forever.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:47:41 PM by Ambrosius »

Ambrosius

• Dark Lord
Chronicles of Rufus Thornberry - Foggy Beginnings
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 01:42:53 PM »

Log Three- Life as Prey

A life lesson!

Most folk are either one of two things, predator or prey, wolf or sheep and without a doubt I’m born to be a sheep; I would think most of my kin are-
and little has happened during my time here to convince me otherwise. I mean blaming the wolf does not help the sheep, the sheep must learn not to
fall into the clutches of the wolf in the first place- it never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be, to him they are powerless; something to be
taken advantage of.

One thing I’ve noticed is while humans seem to be the predominant culture here, they take advantage of one another, those weaker than themselves;
a society based on strength or position will always be like that- two others in Barovia also have lands or territories of their own; the Elves and Dwarves.
They- unlike my kin are larger and more domineering. I think this is reflected in the fact that within Barovia you’ve homes for all besides the wandering
Halfling who is little more than a stray wanderer, and we survive because of it. We’re similar to a Caliban in many ways; being scorned though not for our
outward appearance- rather we’re thought of as untrustworthy and thieving scum.

Dvergeheim, where the Dwarves call home; Degannwy which the Elves know as sanctuary and most of Barovia, what Man knows as their property. My
Halfling kin must decide which one of these to put themselves at the mercy of. Obviously it’s a dog eat dog world here! Regardless I prefer to wander
and it’s certainly safer to be on the move often rather than be the victim of my own peculiarity. One should always be on the look-out for the wolf in
sheep's clothing!

[A detailed sketch sits between the journals pages]
Spoiler: show

However!

Saying this I did discover a place I am frequenting more and more, and though the unsightliness of the place might make some feel unwelcome; I feel
I fit in more here than anywhere else above. But I’ve not had the time to fully explore the place, perhaps soon.

Log Four: The Underbrawl! and the Drain “folk”

Much jollification!

I’ve noticed upon wandering and exploring the more…uninviting and revolting places of Vallaki that a place exists for the displaced and castaways
alike, the Drain!
[A detailed sketch sits between the journals pages]
Spoiler: show

It was here I found a notice detailing some tournament, a fight of sorts between various combatants to be held within a day or so. It seemed thrilling
so I remained there within the Drains for the night; making myself familiar with the area and picking up some tools from this –charming- sort of runt;
thing? Not sure what he was really.

When the time came, I ventured to the place specified and paid the entry fee, I’ve made over nine thousand fang lately due entirely to the many deliveries
I’ve made; finding a good spot to see was not too easy with all the tallies standing in my way. So I stood next to this giant deformed creature at the back
of the stage; he was the drummer, I suppose with his two giant beating sticks and the animal skin drums before him. Also- he had a rather pungent smell
of something I’m not familiar with- luckily, but I digress.

The fights were great fun to watch, all the different talents facing off. Glad I wasn’t up there though- I recall this one Halfling who fought and unfortunately
but not unexpectedly got beaten by the much larger human lass. Most of the fighters seemed to rather bloviate themselves, apart from the halfling!

The fights went on, one by one until a champion emerged and no one else wanted to fight him! even when offered the chance; I don't blame them, he was
fierce and brutal, held a sword three times my size; probably weighs more too! by the looks of it, the sword would easily cleave me in twine. Not sure
how much he won, I bet it was alot.

As for the drain, I'm staying down here most of the time apart from when adventure calls or curiosity becomes a bit to much and I head off somewhere, its
a place where you're left to mind your own business and there is a silent sort of law here. Don't kill each other, and leave each other alone- suits me well
enough!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:00:19 PM by Ambrosius »

Ambrosius

• Dark Lord
Chronicles of Rufus Thornberry
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »
Log Five: An Adventure into History!

An adventitious experience to be had!

As it happens my unique skill-sets are rather desired by the danger seeking adventurers. Most of them are muscle heads or practitioners of the
rather bewildering art forms that is magic; while I! Rufus Thornberry can pick a lock in four seconds flat or disarm a deadly cozen trap. I was petitioned
by an lady and a Barovian man to accompany them to some apparent ruins in the mountains past Dvergeheim, naturally intrigued at the offer to explore
such a place I offered my assistance.

And so we set off, along the narrow and windy roads through the mountains, eventually until diverging from the road and over a rocky canyon. Finding
ourselves at a deserted camp. My companions remarked Invidian soldiers are often here, but not a one did we see- no in fact the only noise heard was
from further within the cave nearby and so we continued our trek inside...

The first section of the cave was empty and void of any signs of life- yet the noises of metal clanging and footsteps wandering were heard from deeper
within. Opening a nearby door, a dozen...no a few dozen undead creatures dressed in an assortment of attire, Invidian and some strange- assailed us!

My companions fought them and prevailed after a tense battle, and upon inspecting the bodies it turned out the missing Invidians were among these
undead; bearing the marks of battle and wounds sustained of the same weapons these other undead carried- so I came to the conclusion they had been
killed by these strange creatures and then risen to serve whatever this place is, or was.

I was told by my companions that a way lower did exist, but it was blocked by fallen rocks- which, after a tiring few hours they managed to move and allow
us passage deeper within these caverns. But what a sight of horror lay before us, two war-faced statues glare down at a pile of mutilated bodies. Gundarakites
they were as a letter left by one of the corpses revealed, Gundarakite sappers who were ordered to blow open the doors so the Invidians could advance in after
some treasure hidden here, but the explosions caused the rocks to fall as we earlier encountered. Moving around the many corpses we continued our advance,
finding further letters and journals left by the now dead Invidian Soldiers- stating their dire situation, turning to cannibalism to feed themselves as supplies
dwindled.

However- more to the point, this place appeared to be a tomb to a select group of warriors known as the Neureni. Not to be confused with wolves or werewolves
as the word now means in Balok but rather a unique culture. The statues, appearance and layout of this place was indeed almost alien to Barovia or anything
else I've seen here.

As we progressed in, I saw my skills put to use removing traps left for intruders like us- opening up various containers even some of the sarcophagus' to see
what treasures were left by these people. The most impressive treasure however was not gold nor trinket but rather something we could never remove from
these halls...an army of terracotta soldiers, weapons in hand as though prepared for battle. The statues appeared to guard a single sarcophagus without a name
or inscription engraved. Whoever he was, they wanted him not to be remembered unless this was their way. What I can tell of the Neureni is they respected
their dead, to have built such a tomb takes great care and hardships, the effort clearly shows.

We eventually emerged, richer in wealth and knowledge and I can safely say I remain with an almost ravenous, insatiable hunger for more ventures, I can
but only imagine the lost relics, treasures and mysteries left out there to discover!

Rufus Thornberry....Explorer Extraordinaire!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:31:11 PM by Ambrosius »