Author Topic: Magic domain - Negative Energy Burst  (Read 1666 times)

SpaceHam

• Undead Slayer
Magic domain - Negative Energy Burst
« on: December 12, 2017, 06:51:48 AM »
Would it be possible to get this spell swapped out for something else that might be remotely useful? Like Mass Mage Armor or something wizardly? In my experience is never really used, because it hits party members and drains strength, though I can see undead mages using it (vampire sorceresses for example).

Obviously this isn't a priority but I just thought I would raise it as a thought/concern, because all the other features of the Magic Domain are great and handy (extended melf's? hell yeah! acid dmg for days n days), but I was just looking for some kind of alteration to make the bonus spell from the domain useful! Please don't hurt me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 06:54:15 AM by SpaceHam »
Characters:
Tristyn Ondar: Dweomerkeeper of Mystra
Casavel Aelorothi - Feywarden of Corellon Larethian
Kythaela Orifiel: Degannwyian protectress and ranger
Qyral Sundervoss: Star-elf Sorcerer Supreme

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
Re: Magic domain - Negative Energy Burst
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 11:58:34 AM »
I mean, it also buffs undead summons, so there is that!

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
  • Catching natural 20s from monsters since birth.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 02:00:09 PM »
The problem with it is that it's a negative spell, which means it really has no use for good aligned characters without justification. I think a more universal spell would be better.
Hjorta the Heartless- Seidr Wight
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer
Asmund Ingvar- Berserker Runemaster

julienchab

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:19 PM »
The problem with it is that it's a negative spell, which means it really has no use for good aligned characters without justification. I think a more universal spell would be better.

I disagree. Negative energy burst is a necromancy spell used to boster your undead creations. Necromancy spells aren't suppose to be used by good aligned characters from the start. Would we change all necromancy spells because good aligned people won't use them?

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »
It's used by some undead monster spawns too...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
I think SpaceHam means swapping it for magic domain clerics only.

This, however, sort of undercuts his argument:

all the other features of the Magic Domain are great and handy (extended melf's? hell yeah! acid dmg for days n days)

If the domain is already strong, then strengthening it further would tend toward making it unbalanced.

For example, see the Evil Domain, which gets only 3 spells, as opposed to five for the Magic Domain, and one of those spells is also Negative Energy Burst. One of the two other spells, Negative Energy Ray, all clerics get, only at one level higher.

(The Evil Domain does get the power to turn Outsiders like undead, but I bet that's not very useful in POTM.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:16:49 PM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 02:40:24 PM »
n.e.p potions or shadow shield on your front line and You'll be fine.

Sinful Mystic

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 06:19:16 PM »

all the other features of the Magic Domain are great and handy (extended melf's? hell yeah! acid dmg for days n days)

If the domain is already strong, then strengthening it further would tend toward making it unbalanced.

For example, see the Evil Domain, which gets only 3 spells, as opposed to five for the Magic Domain, and one of those spells is also Negative Energy Burst. One of the two other spells, Negative Energy Ray, all clerics get, only at one level higher.

(The Evil Domain does get the power to turn Outsiders like undead, but I bet that's not very useful in POTM.)

Pretty sure death domain is the worst. You get a weak summons with a short duration.
Celynna of Elevashe-inactive
Daly'rae of Zau'duis
Erika Tinescu-inactive

SpaceHam

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 06:34:34 PM »

I agree death domain is terrible, but I was thinking a bit about this and I was wondering if I could refine my argument (not the best at composing an argument, more the gist of what i'm saying).

NEB doesn't seem to really fit the theme for a Magic Domain using cleric. Granted magic is neutral in it's application, but the colouration of NEB into the mix gives it an unnecessary sinister feel. I'm enjoying the perks of the Magic Domain, but it's application to it's fullest extent is needlessly inhibited by the introduction of NEB. I personally have no idea why this was plopped in at all... Thank you NWN Designers.. :(
Characters:
Tristyn Ondar: Dweomerkeeper of Mystra
Casavel Aelorothi - Feywarden of Corellon Larethian
Kythaela Orifiel: Degannwyian protectress and ranger
Qyral Sundervoss: Star-elf Sorcerer Supreme