You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Unplayable Lag  (Read 1365 times)

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
  • That's Mr. TheGrinningHound to you
Unplayable Lag
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:14:50 PM »
This problem started around the same time of the Hak release.

Essentially, I can load into the game just fine (Sometimes with nvidia robe graphical issues, solved by adjusting resolution), but shortly after loading into the game I seem to lose connection. Chat messages take forever to load, transitions can't be used. Items can't be equipped. The game itself doesn't lock up and freeze, graphically, I just can't interact-- and I end up having to relog.

I had similar issues DM client side, but was able to manage them. However, playerside it seems to be significantly worse. What stumps me is that this machine was running NWN perfectly fine before the hak, but following it, I can't seem to get it to run.

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Downloaded and installed haks again
- Reinstalled NWN outright
- Tried to correct CPU Affinity issues to avoid multi-processor problems
- Switched to Miles 2D Audio, then disabled sounds in the .ini.
- Modified a whole number of visual effects to optimize performance (Shadows, grass, water, anti-aliasing, v-sync)
- Critical Rebuild
- Run game through all various GoG launchers, each with compatibility modes and administrator modes.
- Copied functional NWN copy from external hard drive, to no success. (Same Problem)
- Played with reverting specific windows updates around the same time as hak release.
- Adjusting power options to optimal performance
- Setting NWN to High Priority in Windows Task Manager

I'm pretty stumped. It seems to be either something with hak compatibility, or something with my computer specifically. Network connection throughout was always fine, and other applications run without hiccup. These problems are isolated strictly to my NWN.

I have a Desktop with an i7 processor, an Nvidia GeForce 970, and am running Windows 8.1.

Any help you guys could swing at me, would be greatly appreciated! Without some kind of fix, there's no chance that I could manage to play NWN.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:16:35 PM by TheGrinningHound »

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
Re: Unplayable Lag
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »
You could try setting up port forwarding if you haven't already. I'm not too sure that would do it but it fixed my problems when I had similar issues and I noticed it wasn't something you said you'd tried yet.
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:08:01 PM »
Do you have any sense of where the bottleneck is?

If you run Windows Task Manager (CTL-ALT-DEL to start it) and look at the processes while the game is lagging, is CPU consumption excessive or spiking (such as 99 percent)?

If not, have you tried the network tests such as Soren suggests here?

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=47226.0

This sounds like a network issue:

Chat messages take forever to load, transitions can't be used. Items can't be equipped. The game itself doesn't lock up and freeze, graphically, I just can't interact-- and I end up having to relog.

Because when I've lost connection to the server, that's the behavior I get. I can move around within an area without freezing, but those other features quit working.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:09:40 PM by DrXavierTColtrane »
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
  • That's Mr. TheGrinningHound to you
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »
You could try setting up port forwarding if you haven't already. I'm not too sure that would do it but it fixed my problems when I had similar issues and I noticed it wasn't something you said you'd tried yet.

Flying Lotus for the win!

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 01:14:42 PM »
LOL  :lol: Glad I could help!
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir