Author Topic: Looking Skyward - Kerdic Greyfox  (Read 822 times)

Kleomenes

• Dark Power
Looking Skyward - Kerdic Greyfox
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »
The Dawn

The dawn crept over Vallaki like oozing treacle. Night's shadow fought for every inch, stubborn in its grip over the town in a way that could cause one to give up hope. But no, the dawn came, as it always did, dispelling the misty claws of night, and easing the scars of fear they left. Kerdic's hair was unbound, an autumnal breeze playing through it as he stood on the rise overlooking Vallaki's graveyard, his gaze cast eastwards for morning prayers. A new thing he thought. Speaking to a spirit of this land.

Sunrise had always been a time of significance for Kerdic's people, back in Faerun. The High Moor's morning mists a protective veil, hiding Greyfox warriors in advance of bloody attack on orcs and hobgoblins. A secretive, wan smile crossed the warrior's lips. Out of the Mists. The only thing coming out of the mists, here, is death. Not one we bring, one we suffer.

These were the thoughts of the newly misted, Kerdic reminded himself. He had to move past the shock at the change; the dismay at rules rewritten. Adapt or die his mother had said. Yet there was so much to adapt to. The heavy words he had shared with Liss before they had been misted. The revelation that Sasha had not died, all those years ago. The truth that he would never see his daughter, or his people, again. The understanding that no matter where he turned, danger and evil were not far away. That if he was to give voice to his heart too loudly that distance would be much less. It would be easier if I knelt to this truth. he mused. Adapt or die.

The sun's warmth began to sink into Kerdic as he silently pontificated. A smile came, unbidden, to his lips. His new Brother had told him there was beauty in Barovia for those with eyes to see, and this was a truth. This mound was a place for truths, where the dancing stopped for a moment. Maybe I should thank her, for helping me see through the mist.

Kerdic's smile widened further as he raised the strange, gnomish axe Alin had gave him towards the sky.

"Morninglord I pray to you;
I thank you for bringing the Dawn.
Let my actions this day bring hope;
And my courage stand the night.
I give you my axe;
I am a foe of fear.

Thy Lips be Cleansed.
"

Adapt or die his mother had said. He was choosing the former, in the way his heart told him.