Author Topic: The Swordsman's Tale:  (Read 3097 times)

Kaine

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
Re: The Swordsman's Tale:
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2017, 05:15:42 PM »
Updated my journal.
Passed my trials and completed my training. All that remains is my baptism and to be given the light carrier spear.

Tinu and I have grown even closer.
Also, paid off my resurrection debt to Jaedon.
Meatshields have feelings too!

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2017, 04:17:08 AM »
Updated my journal.
Tinu agreed to be my wife and we are to be married soon.
She is a star elf. They lived in a sort of a demiplane or pocket reality I guess... She told me which got destroyed by nihilistic wizards who love destruction because they want to reduce all that is to nothing one dimension at a time? Seems a stupid great waste of effort in manpower and resources to conquer and subjugate a place just to completely wipe it out if you ask me.
That means even before getting misted she was already displaced via a type of planeshifting.

She is 120 which I am told is relatively young for an elf. I do not mind being the younger person in our relationship. We seem to be at about the same level of physical development in any event.*

I wonder what the other elves with think that she has decided to go with a human.
She says if they don't like us they'll hiss.
Hmm, sometimes elves remind me of cats.
I wonder if you rub their stomachs if they will want to disembowel you the way a cat does.

*Also, I know there's ways of extending the human lifespan with magics and medicine. Not that I would want to become an undead and lose my sense of touch but there are wizards and people who are known to have lived well beyond what is considered the average maximum age for members of their races. Sometimes those blessed by gods can too. Just think, if I take the right potions and elixirs (or make the right prayers if they were to be answered by the Morninglord perhaps) I could spend an extra century with her so she'd be less lonely.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:22:02 AM by Kaine »

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2017, 05:25:45 AM »
With my various swords for different situations and magical light carrier spear, clad in my orange and gold armor, I am become a juggernaut of the Morninglord church.

I am Kaine the undead killing machine (a killing machine of the undead not a particularly violent and restless undead. Perhaps I should reconsider the phrasing of such a concept a little more carefully?).

My wife (to be) is Tinu one of the rare dying breed of star elves. She is an excellent shot with a bow and capable of blending in with the leaves and shadows.

Trades and crafting:
It's slower progress than I'd like but I'm gradually getting better at potion brewing.

My carpentry is okay but woodworking remains woefully inadequate. Both need much more work.
Tinu and I are together puzzling out the art of fletching, that is creating arrows and bolts.

Sir Havenshire expressed concern that he believes Tinu and I are being reckless to move so fast but life in the core and lands of mists is fleeting. She was orphaned and I was raised in a military academy. To be honest neither of us has much of an idea about how this "family" thing is supposed to work but we are going to give it a try, our best one at that.

We want to give it a shot and the Morninglord church is willing to sanctify or officiate our union for us so it is formally recognized... When Tinu and I feel ready, mind you.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:29:29 PM by Kaine »

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
More missions for the church.
Details to follow.

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2017, 10:26:52 PM »
Updated my journal
Mother Kali, the halfling trap and lockspringer Dara and I raided the Alhoon's Lair, a foul place full of twisted necromantic and alchemical abominations which should not exist.
They were devised by the Alhoon, a mindflayer considered even alien and deranged among his own kind because he is an undead one.

A normal mindflayer is a bizarre squid faced psionic person or thing that consumes the brains of others.
We didn't face Alhoon him or itself but going against his "broken ones" and the zombie golems proved to be too much. All was not in vain though... We came back with much treasure liberated from the lair and are using it to buy toys, food, clothing and medicine for the orphans.

Something quite dreadful happened afterwards though which I do not feel comfortable going into much detail on yet. It is still painfully fresh in my mind and was a living nightmare.

Let's just say it took Mishandra and me hours to clean up the gore from the Degannwy resort building and that there are much worse things than a botched resurrection. You can have a double botched resurrection where the fallen gets raised as an even more powerful and terrible form of zombie called a "tyrant fog" zombie. That is something no matter how much I would like to I can't forget.

I am tired of always being scapegoated and of Mother Kali expecting me to be a paladin.
I am not a knight. I never considered myself a hero. I am a fighter. If you take away the fighting that leaves just an Er. An Er is a mistake.

When I do carpentry I am a carpentEr.
When I teach I am being a teachEr.
When I translate that is a translate-... Okay the last one does not work but we (you, or I for whoever is reading this) can assume it fits the overall pattern.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:28:31 PM by Kaine »

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2017, 11:58:33 AM »
Updated my journal.
Have been off as of late in the company of two Krynn elves Sarathalanas and Elres. They are newly misted. If these two are indicative of the average Krynn person they seem to have come from a remarkably polite world. Also great opportunity in traveling with them to practice my Elven! Most fortuitous and practical!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:00:11 PM by Kaine »

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2017, 10:40:26 PM »
Kaine's Prison Letter:
My dearest Tinu,
I am sorry but think I will be late to our wedding.
To the Morninglord Church I also apologize; I know I was to be the carpenter to assemble stalls for the festival (that's why I practiced those many hours of day and night in the woods and outskirts gaining knowledge of the carpentry trade).
The Garda have an iadul idea I must somehow be hiding or protecting the real culprit but I don't know who that is, truly.
To keep my own sanity, I am writing my thoughts down on this since I may not make it to see the Dawn's coming, at this rate.
I love my fey bride and though Barovia is not my homeland have come to love her, too.

I cannot make up a name for a person I only have a dim suspicion is the one to blame. I do not know them.

They (Garda, Ezrites, Cyricists and whomever else) cannot *Make* me stop believing in the Morninglord.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:43:40 AM by Kaine »

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2017, 07:17:57 PM »
Updated my journal.
Father Allek offered me the position of being his squire. He explained to me that since the world on the realm he is from itself is dead he is the last remaining knight of his order as far as he knows.
He stated that knightly discipline he felt would be good for my growth.
I think he will attempt to adapt these traditions and the Morninglord faith syncretically.
I have not received much in the way of training from Sister Anya and indeed to date only been on two missions with her directing me. One went well and the other was unsatisfactory.
The majority of my instruction and tutelage has come from Mother Kali.
She means well but at times berates me for not seeming divinely inspired enough.

I don't have a font of holy magic to draw from the way a cleric or paladin does.
I have just my body and mind. I fight and provide aid in the name of the Morninglord faith.
I do worry sometimes that having had less experience than previous light carriers to come before me I may screw up horribly.  There is though the new dawn's hope.
You may have screwed up yesterday but you learn from it to do better today.
Indeed with every challenge met one gains experience.

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2017, 01:37:02 PM »
Updated my journal.
Spent time in quiet contemplation of the Dawn and the Morninglord's promises with Father Ile and the Vicars these past few days.

It isn't true that I fear nothing I simply have greater fear of not doing anything when I could have than of dealing with things and failing.

The Barovians think we Morninglordians are naive and unaware of the grim realities of day to day life living in so harsh a land with monster choked nights. That isn't the case.
We consciously defy it. Positivity is a weapon. When you completely give in to despair that is letting the old night ("Old Noapte") win.

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2017, 02:54:48 PM »
People often fuss about Tinu and I being together.

Apparently it is of concern to them that with my being a human and her being an elf the differences in our upward limits of lifespan would be a bad thing.
Tinu and I are not overly concerned about it.
We feel we have time to allow things to develop or not as they happen on their own.
We also will look into alleged "elixirs of life" and longevity rituals... Carefully. Lichdom would not be desirable. There are ways of adding a century or two to your lifespan which I know that mages often do. I don't want Tinu to be left to raise our half elf children by herself.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:03:22 AM by Kaine »

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
Updated my journal.
People seem incredulous that Tinu and I are a couple but they don't *really* know us.
They will insultingly and boldly suggest quite stupidly that they feel no one could possibly want to get close to me, that there must be something mentally off about Tinu to be attracted, and other quite not nice things.

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2017, 02:59:13 AM »
Updated my journal.
Hmm it seems Lumi has been charged with witchcraft of the worst sort and banished.
Who'd have thought, eh?

Tinu and I are still editing our guest list for the wedding.

Kaine

• Undead Slayer
  • Brelender
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2017, 01:08:22 PM »
Updated my journal.
I met an incredible star elf sorcerer named Qyral.
He was less than pleased about my and Tinu's upcoming union going so far as to express being one of those "the races ought not intermix" purists but I guess begrudgingly understands Tinu and I are unlikely to back down. Ended up giving me some tactical training. He's quite witty albeit somewhat well, smug. I suppose that's typical of "naturally gifted" mages.

He did have quite a bit to say in way of a fast and loose primer for me going over basic types of sorcerer and sorcery. Without having observed Tinu directly it is difficult for him to determine which type of sorcerer (they aren't exactly traditions the way wizard schools of magic are) it is she draws from or closest resembles but we speculated a few guesses.

He was also unsettled I knew a bit what an elven arcane archer is. When I explained to Qyral I was a student of military history and did not actually know too much on the mechanical aspects of how an arcane archer worked that seemed to allay some of his er, unsettled-ness for want of a better word.
I mean, look, those are a very famous special infantry unit that even other races are awed by. Did he think all elven things are super secret? Sometimes sorcerers are silly.
We also discussed among other things Baelnorns... Ancient undead elven family crypt guardians and lore keepers.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 01:10:08 PM by Kaine »