Author Topic: Message Board in Vallaki Outskirts  (Read 1499 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Message Board in Vallaki Outskirts
« on: August 06, 2017, 06:53:35 PM »
I am sure I brought this topic up before, but I have since revisited these thoughts.

Currently, The outskirts are covered in fliers, wooden signs, and marks scattered helter-skelter vagely near trees and signs. It's not a bad thing, there's a lot of commerce, advertisements, and so on that do drum up a lot of RP, but it looks so dirty, and the placements of the objects aren't easily neat. I've seen up to seven pieces of paper littered vaguely around the tree on the hill in a way that looked more like litter than a tree plastered in ads.

So I suggest an elegant solution. in the Theatre de la Cathedrale's entry lobby, there's a bulletin board. It's an inventory that lets you drop pages of flyers in it. It's not persistent over resets, but neither is the litter on the ground. If we had one of those placed in the outskirts, say, against that tree line near the path to the camp? We could all leave our notices there, and make a bit of an rp of checking it out for news. 

Sounds groovy?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
Re: Message Board in Vallaki Outskirts
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 07:07:44 PM »
Something like that was proposed and discussed before, I wasn't not a dev at the time so I can't tell you the exact reason it was refused. I see multiple reason why such board wasn't added, but I won't state them all here.

I suggest you make a small forum search for the old topic about it, perhaps you'll find the reason why such idea wasn't added.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »
I believe the reason it wasn't added was because the persistent message board scripts that were suggested before aren't supported by the engine. This would be like a board we already have in game, however.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »
I know what you meant, a simply board in which we can put item in, in this case the poster, notice, etc. Such a proposition was made before and was not added in game. I can't tell you the exact reason why, but perhaps a Dev who was there at the time could give you a better answer than me.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 11:09:27 AM »
It's not so much that we are against the idea. More a question of priorities. We already have a system that works. And I see two problems with a container to hold flyers:

One is that there is no way to insure they would only be used for flyers. A custom script could likely be created for that, but it would be so far down our list of priorities that you would not see it done anytime soon anyway.

Two, and the reason I prefer it the current way, many players at once can read the same flyer. Instead of lining up for the board.

To be honest, I would not even use the board myself, I'd still drop my notices in front of the board or my merchant stall because I want it to be seen.

Now, if you feel it's a dirty mess. I suggest you take an in-game approach and complain to the garda. Who knows? They might agree with you and force people to place their flyers all by the noticeboard.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

booksarefun666

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
I'd still put my papers in front of things because it's more likely to be seen as opposed to putting them in containers personally. Guess that's something the guard will need to crack down on - or vigilante janitorialism.

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:17:14 PM »
Honestly, cracking down on posted notices ruins potential for roleplay. Admittedly, they're posted in very odd places (some along the treeline, some randomly in the grass, etc.), but they at least serve their purpose.

lakhena

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 06:45:11 PM »
It's much easier to see the notes that are on the ground, especially for new players who might not know about the bulletin boards.  I remember missing that bounty board even though it was in a pretty obvious spot...