You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Fair Winds and Full Sails, One Step Closer to Home - Ésteban Cedeño's Journey  (Read 959 times)

Ophelius

The conversation replayed in his mind, a contract killing was about to take place and he stood ready to plunge his blade into another man without question or remorse - it was only business, after all. Whether or not it would actually be him to fell the mark was not on his mind at all.

"Is it only business? Should I be feeling anything for the sins I am to commit this hour? Why am I not feeling anything?"

His mind raced though his expression remained stoic, eyes fixated on the door waiting for the signal to enter and commit the deed. What purpose did the bastard sailor serve in a land that swallowed him whole? Why was he chosen over the other men and why is he ready to run a man through with this second chance he's been given? The chance to change didn't seem to mean anything as he were back into his old ways.

No. Perhaps this was a chance to refine his abilities and become more than he could have ever hoped upon that blasted ship overrun by incompetence. An opportunity to prove to himself that he was and is twice the Captain that insolent scoundrel ever was. Though he wasn't able to run that bastard through, the look on the Captain's face as he slew the Quartermaster of the ship before his own eyes was enough for him. The look of terror of the Captain upon the realization that he was about to meet the same fate gave him a cathartic pleasure that is almost indescribable.

Staring at the task before him, there was no pleasure, no regret. Only a task that needed to be done for his Family. What was so different about this target? The fool had caused pain and grief for those that took him in, just as the crew of the ship did as he were a wee powder monkey. The question remained unanswered as the door opened. Even now, there is no answer for him, only a job that needs to be done.

It needs to be done. It needs to be done. It needs to be done. These words echo in the back of his mind, like a maddening clock determined to keep him from sleep and his answer. Still, he trudges forward with blade in hand to find his purpose in this strange new land.

F
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:44:50 PM by Ophelius »

Ophelius

The Streets Wept for the Fallen
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:42 PM »
"Iadul! IADUL!"

The private's exclamation echoed through the uncharacteristically quiet streets. Even the Grey City was silent, mourning the loss of a great number of those sworn to protect her. The gruesome scene laid before him was nothing new - men have shown up in far worse shape after an exceptionally enthusiastic keelhauling aboard his ship. The sins of those victims beneath the ship justified the captain's ire, however, and it were never him that carried the punishment through. That privilege went to the quartermaster whom he shadowed, which the man accepted with a ravenous glee. The victims would never survive the first trip to the depths - a mercy provided by the Sea of Abendego as she took pity on the poor fools on the end of that forsaken rope.

What made this scene so different was the lack of provocation. Those who were without sin received the stoning and a gruesome one at that. The looks of horror on the faces of the slain Garda did not stir him, however. He standed firm to the side, surveying the carnage without expression as if it were just another business deal that had merely gone sour. As the Garda that were spared the reaper's grip showed up, a story began to form. The scene a few hours prior played through in his head repeatedly as he realized how this Wolf-masked scoundrel retained access to the city, even after escaping so nonchalantly to the west.

The bastard leveled an entire checkpoint of Garda before making his way through the city and the surrounding area, presumably indescriminantly murdering all in his path. Exeunt stage west, he did not even lift a finger to Esteban as he passed by. No exchange of words, no recognition of his existence. Logically, this man's bloodlust must have been filled at that point. The scene that now lay before him proved otherwise. Five more Garda now lay in pieces for all to see with a message so clearly scribed: "You are next".

"This will be bad for business"  he thought, but another occurred to him as well. Perhaps this was his chance to prove himself an ally to the city that so graciously provided him shelter, opportunity, and hope. A chance to repair the relationships left tattered from recent events on behalf of those now close to him. As he spoke to the Corporal, four haunting words once again returned with the familiar, incessant ticking at the back of his mind. "It needs to be done. It needs to be done..."

He found himself mindlessly repeating those four words before realizing what had just happened. "It... Needs to be done... If you'll excuse me Corporal..." Shaking as he stood, a pale Esteban returned to the Rest to lick his mental wounds and make sense of it all.

I̵̧̪̰̬̜̤͒͌͐̇͜t̸̨̺̝̥͉̞͖͖̟̟̞̯̎͂̃͋̓̒̚ͅͅ ̴̱̥͊̌̎̈́̄̓̔̈́̔̈́͌̀̓̔̚͝͝͠͝͝ẁ̶͕̊͊̄̉̐͐̎i̶̤͙͙̩̹̰͉̰̰̫̖̘͇̹̹̯̒̈́̋̏́́̊̿̚ͅl̸̢͔̠͙͇̓͋̌̉͛́͂̑l̴̡͎̼̲̗͖͎͖̻̟̖̲̻͋͜ ̷̨̡̮̲̫͉͙̪̼̱̗͕̩̗̳̅̌͑͋̽́͗̔̎̈́̅́̚̚͜͜͠͠͝͝b̸̨̛̲͇͎̬̦̺̥͈͉͚̦̉̆̒̇̄̐̀̈̇͗͝ͅe̷̤̺̓̅̐̒̈̑̓̀̐͌̚ ̵̡̡̞͕̹̺͈͐ͅͅḏ̷͒͊̀́́̓̉̆̂̃̀̔̂̿̚͝͝ō̶̭̰͙̪̬̿̐̈́̆̎̿͑̂͒̚͜͝͠ñ̶̨̥̮̣̪̺̖̰̪͉̞͓̦͎̱̖̓̍ͅē̶̢̧͉̺̰̩̼̩̩͚̤̼̲̖̳͖͖͌͗̇̔͑̑̈́͘ͅ.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:47:40 PM by Ophelius »

Ophelius

A Task for an Unknown Client
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 11:51:15 PM »
  "It looks like the rumors are true my Lord. According to my informants, the von Khorvich family is indeed practicing the black arts, but how do we approach this?

The count beloves Pieter von Khorvich, his favored foreign infiltrator. Either the Count will side with you my Lord, or he will protect Pieter and his families reputation. I implore you with my suggestion, please do not take this risk sire! I fear for your life and that of your family if we are wrong in our information..."

He gently laid the document upon the table before him, reading the contents again and again while thinking over the arrangement. Those gems were nothing he had ever seen nor heard of, yet they just lay buried within this Barovian Lord's tomb. For over a century those ruins lay undisturbed, those gems surging with power beyond his comprehension just within. He could still see the blood-like liquid swirling within, entrancing him even now. "Just who was this peddler's client, and what did he want with these gems?"

It did not matter to him, really. It was a lucrative job and it went flawlessly. It were curious that anyone would want ten of those gems - and perhaps the document that was recovered would lend a clue to who lay on the other end of this business deal. He heard that the Count had dealings with the Vistani, and the Count's mention in the document raised some suspicion. Maybe the Count is after these glowing red gems, recovering them from individuals that have crossed him in the past - the scene implied in the document played in his head repeatedly. Would it be the Count that receives his regards? Perhaps he could earn the Count's favor.

Regardless, there was the matter of finding someone interested in that document. A historian would likely pay a hefty sum for such an important piece to the puzzle of the history of Barovia. The Family would surely be pleased with his finding.

He looked forward to the next meeting with this Vistani.