Author Topic: Identify & Lore  (Read 334 times)

booksarefun666

• Ruined pickpocket
  • Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
  • [Stares menancingly]
Identify & Lore
« on: May 31, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but lore's primary use is to identify items with some application into DM events and reading some placables. Long ago, the DCs to identify items has been increased to give the skill more use so people couldn't just two rings of insight and id everything and it has had success, but the spell identify makes the skill irrelevant in that context.

http://nwnravenloft.wikia.com/wiki/Identify

as opposed to

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Identify

The former makes the skill irrelevant in that context, the later - which was what it was originally makes it able to id some things but not everything. This obviously isn't game-breaking and lore is a nice thing to have from an IC standpoint, but this spell can be achieved early on and also makes legend lore a redundant spell.

http://nwnravenloft.wikia.com/wiki/Legend_Lore

So I'm not sure if identify is meant to copy it's PnP variant but it really does invalidate an entire skill in it's primary use and makes a higher level spell pointless to have. Even Legend lore is useless as a scroll because it'd be cheaper to get identify.
Your RVTraders™ account has been seized by the Vallaki Guard. What are you going to do about it?

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Re: Identify & Lore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »
The thing is, as far as I understand it, the revised version of Identify only allows you to identify one item whereas the original version gave you a bonus to Lore for the duration of the spell which allows you to ID multiple things. So unless you have a bunch of spell slots to spare for the spell or you're willing to buy several scrolls, you're still better off having a decent lore skill to ID stuff. Before I started playing here, a single cast of Identify would generally allow me to ID pretty much everything I had in my inventory before the spell ran out. Now it only works on a single item at a time.

booksarefun666

• Ruined pickpocket
  • Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
  • [Stares menancingly]
Re: Identify & Lore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 09:37:20 PM »
The thing is, as far as I understand it, the revised version of Identify only allows you to identify one item whereas the original version gave you a bonus to Lore for the duration of the spell which allows you to ID multiple things. So unless you have a bunch of spell slots to spare for the spell or you're willing to buy several scrolls, you're still better off having a decent lore skill to ID stuff. Before I started playing here, a single cast of Identify would generally allow me to ID pretty much everything I had in my inventory before the spell ran out. Now it only works on a single item at a time.

I don't think +10 + caster level would cut it with these new DCs. Maybe with two rings of insights +  identify.
Your RVTraders™ account has been seized by the Vallaki Guard. What are you going to do about it?