Author Topic: Published in one of Port-a-Lucine's most aristocratic gazettes  (Read 1521 times)

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
TO ALL OF THOSE WHO HAVE FOR SO LONG BORN THE WEIGHT OF ARISTOCRATIC OBLIGATION, greetings. I write to you today not only as the Marquis de Sayriac, but as your peer, your cousin, your companion in this dignity which places so heavy a burden on all of us. I write to you both to make my mind known and to assure many of you, most of you, I believe, that the thoughts that have lurked in your mind for so long are shared by me as they must, indeed, be shared by all who can reason and despair at the state of this, our once-glorious Republique.

FOR TOO LONG WE HAVE DENIED that the recent insurrection given the all-too-dramatic name of "revolution" has dealt a grave, perhaps permanent wound to the fabric of our society. The concessions forced by these criminals in the chaos and carnage that followed the brutal invasion of our lands by the Hawk have overturned the good and old ways that were handed down to us from the days of the Emperor Leon, and given power to those who do not understand how to wield it, condoning the vicious excesses of that turbulent time just as they caused the city to turn its back on its oldest, noblest, and best-equipped citizens to guide us through this maelstrom. The wound threatens to turn mortal.

PRESENTED WITH THIS SITUATION the Council hides behind a shield, the blue-uniformed warriors of the Company of the Fox. Unlike some who have written in these pages in recent days, I do not detest our friends to the west. Certainly, they are for the most-part base- or foreign-born, and certainly, they have caused certain problems with disorder in the city. But they have also fought to defend us and protect us against myriad threats that are far beyond the comprehension of most of the common folk here. But they also insulate the Council against having to deal with the will and the desires of we, the nobility, who have for so long been the Council's electors and most loyal supporters.

IT IS THIS THAT PRESENTS THE GREATEST CURRENT THREAT to the Republique. When, in the aftermath of the orgiastic violence of the insurrection, they took away from the nobility our greatest and most sacred duty, the election of a Lord-Governor, they allowed the people to elect a woman with little taste for real governance. The common folk will never support someone who takes an action that will inconvenience them in the short term, no matter the long-term vision. Thus they view the levies, the taxes, the refortification of this our once-glorious Republique as an onerous burden, the acceleration of manufacturing schedules for arms and armaments, let alone foodstuffs, garments, and all the other materiel of war to be unfair. Only a strong Lord-Governor can effect the changes we need and restore the nobility to its place. Only a strong Lord-Governor can stand up to Falkovnia and the menace of the Hawk, and bring the curs of the Company of the Fox to heel while using them against the enemies of the State.

THEREFORE I AM COMPELLED TO CALL for a new election; it is time for the Lady-Governor to stand aside; it is time for aristocratic privilege to be restored; it is time for this Republique to be made glorious again. While I would never advocate for further disruption of our State, I must sadly add that it is only a matter of time before someone does.

M. le chevalier Vincent Poul Poissier, Marquis de Sayriac, Seigneur de Chabrol
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Published in one of Port-a-Lucine's most aristocratic gazettes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
Mesdames et messieurs,

I write to you now not as a d'Honaire, but as a young woman who wishes only to better this glorious Republique in which we all live and take part. Please, set aside my name and title, and think of me only as a person who has dedicated her life to the service of others. I write to you now to beg all of you to lend me your ears, even for only a short time. I do not demand obedience or agreement, and I make no claims on your conscience or obligation. I wish only to persuade you.

This Republique in which we live is beautiful, but delicate. The nobility and their ancient lineages are diminished by war and revolution, and the honest and good working men and women of this city are diminished by the conditions under which so many of them labor, long hours, harsh environments, and cruel masters. Yes, I say this not as an accusation, but as an acknowledgement of the road which has led us all here, yes, led us all here to this point of confusion, of worry, and of uncertainty.

I say to you now that it is time to work together to heal these wounds and restore peace to all of our lives before it is too late. My cousin Dominic would not wish me to plead, would not wish me to beg, but my pride is not so great that I will not do anything in my power to bring some resolution to the tensions that now divide us. I hope you will see this not as diminishing my ancient house, but raising it up, so that you may see it clearly as the shining example of what it is.

Men like my cousin, and the Lady Governor he so loyally serves, are what is needed now more than ever. We cannot afford a government now dominated by those who seek only to enrich their own pockets. The current government was built in crisis, and therefore bears all of the hallmarks of that crisis: infighting, uncertainty, and a hesitation to use the might of the Company of the Fox to see peace truly restored in this our city and this our Republique. We need to support the Lady Governor, but we cannot allow her to continue to be surrounded by those who seek only to line their own pockets.

Therefore, I call on you all to support the Lady-Governor and my cousin Dominic d'Honaire by joining the outcry for a new, free and open election, that this city might see its glories renewed and the mandate of the government restored. And in that election I pray you all to support those who wish to better all of our lives, especially those of us who have known what it means to have so very little.

Your faithful servant,

Sabine D'Honaire
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.