Author Topic: Rogue Only Vendors - Suggested Merchandise Update  (Read 4802 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Re: Rogue Only Vendors - Suggested Merchandise Update
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 06:36:28 PM »
You mean code? I don't think that's thieves cant. I think TC is kin to a sort of sign language and gesture rather than odd coded sentences. I don't see why a code, if gone through the ooc effort to rp with the users if the group employing it, shouldn't be acceptable. Sounds fun.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Ciaran999

• Undead Master
  • Death is stronger than all proud men
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »
You mean code? I don't think that's thieves cant. I think TC is kin to a sort of sign language and gesture rather than odd coded sentences. I don't see why a code, if gone through the ooc effort to rp with the users if the group employing it, shouldn't be acceptable. Sounds fun.

My understanding is Thieves' Cant is predominantly spoken and is akin to slang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thieves%27_cant
http://www.thievesguild.cc/english-to-thieves-cant

If that's the case, it's definitely more code than sign language and gestures, though those could also be employed, I suppose. Definitely agree it's an OOC and IC effort to employ and I think it'd add to RP. I'm picturing hilarious interactions between those in the know and those not. :D
Dramatis Personæ:

Thanks to emptyanima for the marvelous siggies!
Damiana Mavra | Erebeth Moravec | Sighildr Rødsävrd | Ravenna Varkath

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 12:00:33 AM »
I just think that TC isn't supported as a take-able language with our current language system, not that it's not supported as something we can achieve with the correct rp.

Some language systems show up as a scrambled make believe language with the inflection and "sounds like" the language spoken, while if you have that language you will see the translation in the combat log - if not, you see nothing. (see Arelith's language system.) In this case, Thieves Cant worked alright. Then again, it was all emotes and no words. Like *Blinks twice* and *screws mouth* and other facial gestures and hand signals. Our language system wouldn't support this, since all we get is [LANG] and it's up to us to be responsible gamers and understand or not understand it. So ThC would be a poor choice to implement. Because it would be seriously cheese-sauce.

[ThC] The Garda is coming, did you hide the guns?
[ThC] Yeah, with the explosives. Long live Gundarak!
[Bal] *Eyes the two suspiciously*

But yeah, I mean, speaking in code can and should be developed if you want to talk about plans out in the open or give quick and easy signals to other members of your group. If you think about it, with all the random stuff that get's said IC by outlanders and the like, how easy would it be to start a sort of cypher for your buddies and get away with it? Effort is key.

Kind of reminds me of how we plotted all this secret plan stuff in a hotel room, then left on our way to the plan, and everyone was flailing around "We forgot the plan!" "What?s the plan again?" "THE PLAN HAS CHANGED we're all gonna die!" (you know who you are XD).
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 02:56:01 AM »
Thieves Cant isn't supported I believe here, there was mention made of it.  That, however, doesn't mean you can't make your -own- version of it, in a sort of spycraft style of doing things instead, with phrase and counter phrase, that can be developed amongst a player based thieves guild sort of endeavor.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 04:27:31 AM »
Thieves Cant isn't supported I believe here, there was mention made of it.  That, however, doesn't mean you can't make your -own- version of it, in a sort of spycraft style of doing things instead, with phrase and counter phrase, that can be developed amongst a player based thieves guild sort of endeavor.
Nem and I are a great team. I over complicate the way I say something, and he translates it for the rest of you XD - Thieves Cant in action.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 09:08:18 AM »
Nothing prevents players to devise their own cyphers between themselves. There is no rule for this. I would only suggest that you make sure both chars speak the same tongue to keep it plausible.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.