Author Topic: Heart of Ice saving throw increase too high?  (Read 2532 times)

BattleCupcake

• Undead Slayer
  • The Old Cat Bard
Heart of Ice saving throw increase too high?
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:22:52 PM »
This may be a product of my own naivety, but this amulet's boost to Will saving throws seems exceptionally high on a server where most items I see give only a +1 universal bonus or +2 specific saving throw bonus. Even in the same slot, the Amulet of Geb is half as effective at increasing Fortitude.

Am I off-track in thinking this item is too powerful?

Calliope

• Undead Slayer
Re: Heart of Ice saving throw increase too high?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:23:42 PM »
Had one on a 10th level barbarian/3rd level rogue with a -1 Wisdom modifier and never thought so  :P

Anything can be considered too powerful by comparing it to weaker items, but I find the amulet slot to be good overall and often a difficult one to choose what to equip. If you drop everything to the lowest common denominator, then something else will seem too strong.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:27:33 PM by Calliope »

Just the bang and the clatter as an angel hits the ground

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 11:59:10 PM »
 If I remember correctly, it also comes with some penalties to saves against cold, which is not all that significant, but it's there. My guess would be that the item was added to help non-casters cope with some of the many enemies that make use of will check spells, as well as the many areas that give a significant penalty to will saves, like the crypts in the Vallaki Western Outskirts. Since Mind Blank spells protect against many of the will check spells, the bonus on the item doesn't effect mid-late game content much as people are often expected to have a mage who can provide it, and it offers options to manage without one, or help with the earlier portions of the module.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 01:25:01 AM »
It's certainly very useful under the right circumstances, I've never considered it terribly over powered though. You can't really compare them to items with uni saves on them either, as those are arguably more powerful even when they grant a lesser bonus. Saving throws are important, there are a lot more saving throw items out there besides this one, and wearing one means you're probably giving up spells, meta magic or AC. It's a situational item that, in my opinion, serves it's purpose well without being too powerful.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 05:33:43 AM »
As Reod said it has a penalty on save against cold as well, will +4/reduced save cold -2, witch is not much of a penalty goes, especially as there are so many items that counter cold dmg.
Maybe it's a thought to chance this? say by giving it a minus on refl. or fort. as well, or something more creative.   
Merrum Twind: Sticking his nose where it doesn't belong for the greater good!
Ragnhild “the Snarling” Snarrigson: (aspirant) Shield of Dvergehiem.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 06:51:27 AM »
I would disagree with more maluses, looking at the positive reasoning given above.  Since there are characters at level 14 with a will save of only 5 or so, this is a very useful item that does means plenty of sacrifices already.  The only thing its possibly worth changing to is to make it vs mind affecting.  Maybe.

BattleCupcake

• Undead Slayer
  • The Old Cat Bard
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 07:12:34 AM »
The reasoning I felt behind such an item existing was that, yeah, mind blank removes much of the need of having a decent Will save at all from the module. It's just striking to me when compared to other items, such as the scarab of protection or amulet of geb.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »
Scarabs of protection come in +2 and +3 varieties too, although more rarely. So a +4 to a single save isn't bad. Especially given the huge effects of all the mind saves, tons of fear aura's and such, don't think its too overpowered.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Calliope

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 08:54:37 AM »
The reasoning I felt behind such an item existing was that, yeah, mind blank removes much of the need of having a decent Will save at all from the module. It's just striking to me when compared to other items, such as the scarab of protection or amulet of geb.

The amulet of geb is Petre trash. I see those with regularity in his stock.

Just the bang and the clatter as an angel hits the ground

MoonCrower

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »
I would consider the +2 universal much more powerful than a single +4 bonus with even a meager detraction such as a -2 cold save.
Active Characters:
Inan De'Rethke
Atrayix
Pierce d'Leroux
Sarkith Darskard
Envel'Wyld Tar'Talon

booksarefun666

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
 It's perfect for my cleric and pretty much my only amulet. The weakness against cold is lolworthy with endure elements.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 01:25:29 AM »
Scarabs of protection come in +2 and +3 varieties too, although more rarely. So a +4 to a single save isn't bad. Especially given the huge effects of all the mind saves, tons of fear aura's and such, don't think its too overpowered.

Does the Scarab +3 still drop? I've seen way more Talismans of Dodging than +3 Scarabs...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

booksarefun666

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 02:29:44 AM »

Does the Scarab +3 still drop? I've seen way more Talismans of Dodging than +3 Scarabs...

They would if everybody didn't farm har'akir to death. We should practice sustainable dungeoneering and keep it to one day a week, but you people get angry at me and call me a hippie.

Soulbourne

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 02:20:25 PM »
I would only add here that there exist other +3 Saving Throw Items such as the Lesser Cloak of the Amedio with +3 Reflex and 50 uses of Expeditious Retreat, so having a plus 4 Saving throw item for something like Will with the before mentioned coverage of spells, not to mention it taking up the amulet slot which could be used for universal saves, does not seem too out of place in my mind.

I would consider the +2 universal much more powerful than a single +4 bonus with even a meager detraction such as a -2 cold save.

Also, Agreed.