Author Topic: Language Tags  (Read 1557 times)

Song of Danta

Language Tags
« on: March 26, 2017, 05:52:08 AM »
Would it be possible to make the language tags a bolder color? People often forget they are on (thus continuing to blabber in a different language) or skim over them and respond to things they cannot actually understand. Blue would be good!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:10:21 AM by Gavin Mace »

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
Re: Language Tags
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 06:03:12 AM »
Oh, that's pretty clever!
"What is a day, without  a blessed night?
And what is peace, without a blessed fight?"

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 06:04:27 AM »
A lighter blue, though. I think a dark blue would be harder to read...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 06:46:12 AM »
A lighter blue, though. I think a dark blue would be harder to read...

I was thinking the exact same, the blue used for the weather, wind etc would be a good one?

Song of Danta

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 07:09:02 AM »
Yeah, that sort of blue! Not too offensive. :D

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »
One of my specific goals in selecting the color was to avoid immersion-breaking flashes of bright color all over your screen like happens on other servers at times. If it's unobtrusive, it's because I designed it to be so. I'm also not convinced that people won't simply ignore them anyway.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 10:56:16 AM »
Perhaps the occasional reminder on the log window like the LFRP reminder can help without the obnoxious flashing colours?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
Perhaps the occasional reminder on the log window like the LFRP reminder can help without the obnoxious flashing colours?

Not a bad idea. It's occurred to me before, too. I'll see about implementing this--I've got a few other tweaks to make to the system anyway.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »

This reminds the speaker, but it would not address the second part of the problem Gavin Mace described:

People often forget they are on (thus continuing to blabber in a different language) or skim over them and respond to things they cannot actually understand.

Personally, I don't think there's any issue with the current tags. My PC will sometimes forget and continue for one statement, but I immediately correct with a // .

As for the second, there's no way of telling why a PC does that. (They may be newbies who don't understand the system, or they're not considering they don't understand the language. Maybe they're playing while intoxicated.) But if you're reading text closely enough to be able to respond meaningfully to it, you can hardly miss the tag as it is.

To add to that, what's being said is at least as important as the language used. Hence, it doesn't make visual sense to me to highlight the language with color to the detriment of the surrounding text. Inattentive players should pay better attention, rather than inflicting attentive players with this distraction from actual content.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:04:28 PM by DrXavierTColtrane »
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.