Author Topic: Apocrypha of the Dread Prophet  (Read 2432 times)

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
  • Medieval Poverty Since 2005
Apocrypha of the Dread Prophet
« on: March 19, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »

Stored under lock and key in the reserved section of the imperial library of Tharquatis lays the heretical autobiography of the self proclaimed prophet and knight, one Saint Ajaxos of Barovia.

This narrative is a series of letters addressed to an unnamed correspondence. A collection of prayers, notes, illustrations and thoughts recorded for the author’s own reflection. 

The content of these rich vellum pages have been scribed in the imperial language of Tharque and is filled with beautiful illustrations reflecting a religious motif renowned to the Order of Zarus.

//Credit must go where credit is due;
http://orderofzarus.hyperboards.com/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:25:25 PM by Barovian Beggar »

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
Re: Apocrypha of the Dread Prophet
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »
Teachings of Saint Eliphas

"I have walked through valleys of sin and oceans of night. I have looked demons and traitors in the eyes. I have heard the whispers of dark things that wanted my soul. Yet I have never once encountered anything that struck fear into me that they would feel if they ever truly understood the resolve of the Zarusian."

"The only enemy worth your admiration is one who has accepted the superiority of mankind and knelt before you for judgement. All others are to be despised. Honour means nothing when it is used to oppose Zarus' will."

"Once, I saw the enemy as a terrifying threat, the harbingers of Humanity's destruction. Now I know them for what they are. Vermin, parasites, suckling at wounds of the lands which belong to mankind.

"To dwell in the past is death, but the future is worse still - it is an existence on which order and reason have yet to be imposed. To fight it, our past is the greatest weapon we have."

"Pain is the wine of communion with heroes."

"In war the single greatest deciding factor is will: without the will to do so, no sacrifice is made, no initiative seized, no objective taken, and no enemy vanquished – all the swords in creation are useless without the will to drive it into the heart of those who would oppose mankind."

"To admit defeat is to blaspheme against Zarus."

"Death? What is death? It is the natural state of all things. It is life that is the aberration. It is life that should be feared, for it can go by with our work left undone, it can be wasted away on failure and indolence. Death is to be embraced if it ultimately serves Zarus' will."

"Brave men die every day, unremembered. Courage receives no prize, but cowardice and dishonour can buy happiness and renown. The brave amongst us must accept our rewards from within, even in the throes of death."

"Anyone outside the fold of the Empire is our enemy, proven or otherwise, inhuman or human. Anyone who lives without the light of Tharquish lives in darkness."

"What is fear? Fear is the absence of duty. Fear is what fills our minds unbidden when our thoughts turn from our obligations to the human race."

"We are born naked and defenseless, save for a shield around our souls that all humans are honour-bound to maintain. That veneer of anger, that armour of hate, is all that stands between us and the endless death of corruption."

"The litanies and catechisms of your Order fall uselessly on the ears of the outsider. But you know they are the soul of your Order, the collective admonishments and inspirations of every knight brother who has gone before you."

"Often we speak of duty unto death, of defiance to the point of extinction. But what does this mean? What work of ours can change the world, if it ends along with our lives? Works of true devotion, acts of true duty, last far beyond our own lifetimes."

"Look into the face of the enemy and rejoice! For to stand before him, to bask in his fury, is to tell him that you fear him not, and that he is within a sword-thrust of destruction."

"War is the only place we can be complete. Battle is the only activity at which our excellence can be meaningful. You are not a philosopher, or a scholar, or a statesman. You are a warrior. When you are not inflicting death, you are not justifying your life."

"What is the enemy? It is more than merely a creature born in another land, of alternate heritage. Such a thing would hold no holy disgust for us. The enemy is an idea, a concept, dangerous to itself and others by virtue of its mere existence. The very possibility of the enemy becoming a dominant force in our world is corrosive to the human soul."

"Death holds no fear only for the fool. Our duty is to control that fear and to turn it into a blind hatred of the end of our lives, for it brings with it the inability to fulfill our duty to Zarus."

"How many have died? None but Zarus can be certain. How many of their stories are remembered? Barely a drop in that ocean. Strive to overcome not only the standards of your heroes, but of everyone who has died forgotten."

"When the battle is won, your work is not done. Your duty is not a destination. It is a journey. Victory is merely a landmark on that road. You will never reach a time when your work is done and you can leave the fighting to another. You will die with the road still to be walked."

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:24:20 PM by Barovian Beggar »

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:35:31 AM »
The Four Fates

With the light, cleanse the unclean.
~We will cleanse!

With the flame, purify the unholy.
~We will purify!

With the sword, purge the corrupt.
~We will purge!

With the arrow, kill the impure.
~We will kill!

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 08:22:23 PM »
A Warrior's Prayer

Look to your battle-gear and it will protect you
~We guard it with our lives

Your armour is your soul, and your soul's dedication its armour
~The soul of the warrior is the protector of humanity

Honour the craft of death
~Only Zarus is higher in our devotion

Honour the battle gear of the dead
~We ask only to serve

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:25:46 PM by Barovian Beggar »

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
The Purity of Human Strength

What is the sacred will of Zarus?
~To seek perfection, for humanity is superiority!

What is it to be perfect?
~It is to be the strong, for the strongest are closest to Zarus!

What is strength of mind?
~Intellect and cunning, For we suffer not the fool!

What is strength of soul?
~Faith and courage, For the coward and the sinner are damned!

What is strength of body?
~Physical prowess and might, For Zarus despises the weak and complacent!

What is the enemy of strength?
~Impurity of the bloodline, For the half-breed must be culled!

What is it to be pure?
~It is to be created in his image, to enact his will!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:25:56 PM by Barovian Beggar »

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:23:57 PM »
The Twelve Truths

What is it that gives us purpose?
~War.

What is it that gives the war purpose?
~To conquer the foes of our Lord.

What is the foe of our Lord?
~The inhuman, the traitor and the half-breed.

What is it to be an enemy of Zarus?
~It is to be damned.

What is it to be the instrument of the Lord's damnation?
~We, the Zarusian, His angels of death.

What is it to be a Zarusian?
~It is to be pure, to be strong, to show no pity, nor mercy, nor remorse.

What is it to be pure?
~To never know fear, to never waver in the fight.

What is it to be strong?
~To fight on when others flee; to stand in the knowledge that death brings ultimate reward.

Who do we serve?
~We serve Zarus, and Astra, and through them we serve mankind.

What is it to be human?
~It is to be first, the honoured, the sons of Zarus.

What is our victory?
~To remake the world in His image.

What is the fate of those we hunt?
~Death!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:26:10 PM by Barovian Beggar »

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »
The Pledge of Alpha Prime

What is your life?
~My honour is my life.

What is your fate?
~My duty is my fate.

What is your fear?
~My fear is to fail.

What is your reward?
~My salvation is my reward.

What is your craft?
~My craft is death.

What is your pledge?
~My pledge is eternal service.

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »
Spoken Words of the Faithful

"He who allows the half-breed to live shares its crime of existence."
- Knight Brother Epyrus

"Your honour is your life; let none dispute it."
- High Priestess Kera

"Rejoice! Let the glory of battle envelop us! Let our enemies fear us, for we are Zarus' wrath!"
- War Chaplain Horst

"We go where we will. We slay who we will. Let our Lord judge the righteousness of our deeds."
- Initiate Brother Sordale

"Mankind stands upon the brink; on the one hand lies a veritable utopia, on the other awaits darkness, death, and utter damnation. Only those that follow the guiding light of Zarus may save their souls."
- Brother Captain Invictus

"My sword is at my Lord's command. I answer to no other, living, dead or divine."
- Knight Brother Decius

"Acknowledge death as it approches, but do not succumb to its touch, for your purpose is great."
- Knight Sister Elyra

"Some may question your right to destroy the enemy, but those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live."
- Motto of the Tharquishan Inquisition

"There is only one true path and that is the path of fire and pain, tread upon in the name of our Lord in our great struggle."
- High Priest Malakai

"Some place their all their trust in magic or demons, and some in weapons of destruction. But we remember our divine Lord. They are brought down and fallen; but we are risen and victorious."
- Knight Brother Castian

"To a Zarusian the sword is far more than a weapon. It is an instrument of Mankind’s divinity, the bringer of death to his foes; each drop of blood drawn is a prayer to the gods of battle."
- Instructor Thaddeus

"Though the artifices of evil are many, a fine sword kills just as assuredly."
- Knight Brother Vos

"A single man of faith can triumph over a legion of the faithless. Untold billions of the faithful can never be opposed."
- War Chaplain Ciaphas

"All one has to do is look upon the face of our enemy to know we are right. That every hatred and prejudice, every spite and fury that has coiled in man’s heart since time began was put there for this single sacred purpose – to hate them and bring them death!"
- Inquisitor Genares

"We are the iron fist of our Lord, for a velvet glove serves no purpose."
- Knight Brother Malphias

"I have traveled far and seen much. Yet nothing warms my heart so much as the sight of you, men of strength and faith so great that your fury doth make the enemy's heart quake in fear."
- Order Marshall Titus

"There is no such thing as innocence. All are born with the sins of their fathers bred into their flesh and blood. Those who confess otherwise are furthermore guilty of deceit."
- Lord Inquisitor Albrecht

"Faithlessness is like a blight-canker on a tender rose, and like many parasites it attacks first the weakened vine before spreading to other healthier plants. So, like the best of gardeners, we must tend our blossoms well, knowing when to nurture, when to trim and when to rip up by the roots."
- Inquisitor Reinhart

"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the demon I shall fear nothing. For I am what the demon fears."
- Inquisitor Kyrlock

"I tread the path of Righteousness. Though it be paved with broken glass, I shall walk it barefoot; though it crosses rivers of fire, I will pass over them; though it wanders wide, the light of Zarus guides my step."
- High Priest Hastur

"He who lives for nothing is nothing. He who dies for Zarus is a hero."
- Written above the Wall of Heroes in Tharquish

"Only in death does duty end."
- Namebearer Orjan

"As an initiate, I can offer you only a lifetime of battle and pain and the promise of a violent death, and of you I will demand your every waking moment. But you when you die, you will do so knowing your life was spent fighting for everything we stand for, and that is more than any other man can claim."
- Recruitment Master Hargrave

"While the vile enemy still draws breath, there can be no peace. While faithless hearts still beat, there can be no respite. While traitors still live, there can be no forgiveness."
- Litany of Hate

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »

LITANIES I.

I. Born in Darkness

Born in darkness, a dream given life, holy warriors to bring forth the light. Armed with zeal, armoured with faith, gods of battle at the fore of the fight. Swords of Zarus, shields of Mankind, destined for war, fated for death. Protectors of the weak, slayers of evil, we fight until we draw our last dying breath. There is no retreat, there is no surrender, our hate of the foe drives us eternally on. While the enemy lives, while heresy festers, there can be no peace until the last war is won. Strengthen your heart, harden your soul, launch yourself gladly into deaths hungry maw. There is no time for peace, no respite, no forgiveness. There is only war.

II. The Prayer of Anointment

Be pure in mind, body and spirit. As the water flows over you, let your hate flow through you. As the lost water is spilt, let us spill the blood of our foes. As the water dries, let us harden our hearts to fear. We are the Order of Zarus, the chosen of the Lord, the holy knights of Tharquish. The blood of Zarus flows through our veins. His strength beats in our hearts. His spirit resides within us.

III. Guardians of Mankind

We are the knights of Tharquish, we slay the darkness without fear. No traitor shall elude our gaze, no enemy shall avoid it's fate. We are the guardians of mankind.  Hail Zarus, Hail Alpha Prime!

IV. Cry for the Holocaust

Be my sword and my shield, and I shall destroy your enemy. Be my shining light, and I shall be your hand in the darkness. Light from the shadows, life from the dying, vengeance from the lost. From the ashes of battle shall rise only the pure!

V. Castigations on the Last Days

We are at war with forces too terrible to comprehend. We cannot afford mercy for any of its victims too weak to take the correct course. Mercy destroys us; it weakens us and saps our resolve. Put aside all such thoughts. They are not worthy of men in the service of Our Lord. Praise His name for in our resolve we only reflect his purpose of will.

VI. Apocalypse

There shall come an apocalypse. A great war whose might and clamor shall dwarf all the wars that have come before. A bloodletting to drown the stars. A doom for all that was and all that is. Humanity is the harbinger of this final battle. Humanity is the seed of what is to pass. Humanity is the progenitor of all the future fates. We are charged with the defense of humanity. To us falls the greatest duty of all. Only we know the truth of mankind's origin. We alone know the true faces of our many foes. We alone can put name to those faces and vanquish them. Let not these miscreants best us in any combat. We may fight alone on a barren land in some distant corner of the world or we may lead great armies into battle. We shall do whatever is necessary to triumph. And in the end, we shall overcome them, the unholy trinity that are:

The Enemy Within: The Traitor
The Enemy Without: The Inhuman
The Enemy Beyond: The Demon

VII. The Rebuke of the Unbeliever

Men are not free whose liberty is won by the rigor of other, more righteous souls. They are merely protected. Their freedom is parasitic, they suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. Those who have enjoyed freedom, but have done nothing to earn it, their time will come. One day they will stand alone and fight for themselves. They will pay for their freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood.

VIII. Holy Knights

We are His finest warriors, we men who give ourselves to our Lord. Like clay moulded in the furnace of war we are forged. We are of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall we are clad and with the finest swords we are armed. We are untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight us. We have tactics, strategies and faith such that no foe can best us in battle. We are His bulwark against the Great Enemy. We are the Defenders of Humanity. We are His holy knights and we know no fear.

IX. Angels of Death

We are pure of heart and strong of body, untainted by doubt and unsullied by weakness. We are the bright stars in the firmament of battle. Angelic knights whose shining wings bring swift annihilation to the enemies of Man. So it shall be for a thousand times a thousand years, unto the very end of eternity and the extinction of mortal flesh.

X. Proclamation of Devotion

The garbs of the coward are camouflaged in order to protect their wearers by hiding them from sight. The principle is that what the enemy cannot see he cannot kill. This is not the way of the Zarusian. His armour is bright with heraldry that proclaims his devotion to his Order and the beloved Lord of Mankind. Our principle is that what the enemy can see, he will soon learn to fear.

XI. Forgotten Places

Within dark and forgotten places hide the enemies of the Lord. You have been chosen to enter such places and, protected by the best armour that can be provided, cleanse it. Take with you your weapons, a valiant heart, and Zarus' blessing, and engage the enemy where it makes its lair. Acknowledge death as it approaches, but do not succumb to its touch, for your purpose is great. You have proven yourselves to be worthy of the status you now hold. Every one of you standing here has declared allegiance to the Lord and vowed to use His will as your guide. You have shown your courage and been rewarded for it. Those who stand before me, I charge you now, go forth and vanquish the foe.

XII. Immortal Zarus

Immortal Zarus: have mercy upon us, so we might prove ourselves worthy of your love. Master of Mankind: protect your flock from the enemy. Keeper of the Light: guide our darkened path with your radiance. We are your warriors and we are servants to thee. We stand free from blindness of heart, free from hypocrisy, vain glory and deceits. But we are captive to hatred, malice and anger, to the filth, the half-breed, the traitor. By thy agony and bloody sweat, by thy Golden Throne and thy death and re-emergence as the god of men, keep and strengthen us, we who fight for thee.

XIII. The Mountain

You gaze at the mountain, you see its snow-capped peak and the clouds upon its slopes. You dream of reaching that pinnacle and drinking the cold waters. But who dreams of the road that ascends the mountainside? The road to the peak is hard and murderous. It has broken countless men upon its rocks. Their splintered bones lie scattered upon it, paving the way to the mountaintop. At every step you will hear the bones crumbling underfoot, and maybe you shall hear the wind-blown voices of the dead guiding you forward or leading you to your doom. Yes, my children, the way to the mountain is cruel and unforgiving. And of those who struggle their long lives, spending their energy and vigour in the climb, who then can taste the melt-water of the summit and say yes, it was worthwhile.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 02:31:35 PM by Barovian Beggar »

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »
LITANIES II.

XIV. Prayer of Battle

I offer my life to Zarus, I pray that he accepts it. I offer my strength to Zarus, I pray that he redresses it. I offer the blood of mine enemies to Zarus, I pray that it quenches his thirst. I offer my body on the altar of the battlefield, I pray he grants me a noble death. I pray for his protection, as I offer all that I am!

XV. Proclamation of Faith

Zarus is our father and our guardian. But we must also guard Him in turn. He is all Humankind, and Humankind is no more than its faith and diligence in His name. An injury to that faith is an injury to our Lord and to all men. It is through affirmation of that faith that our greatest duty lies, but sometimes mere affirmation does not suffice and we must act against those who would harm the faith of humanity through betrayal. We are engaged in an unending war for the soul of men. Though it may seem the fight will never end, there is victory even in the defeat we see threatening all around. There is no greater proclamation of faith than to offer up our very lives to guard the soul of humanity. In this we win a victory greater in magnitude than the harm that any lesser can inflict, and so every battle is a shining triumph that the enemy can never take away from us.

XVI. Sacrifice

It is not enough to serve Zarus, or even to love Him. You must give to Him all you have had, and all you ever shall have. To give over utterly and entirely to His divine will and become a vessel for that will. Only then is your sacrifice fitting.

XVII. Sacred Wrath

Though doubts assail you, though the storms of war engulf you, though all your past may certainties be proved empty lies, take strength and fear not. He is with us the Lord your God! Against Him, no army shall stand, no tyrant shall endure, and no heresy go unpunished. We are His sons of cleansing fire and unyielding adamant, the bearers of His sacred wrath!

XVIII. Master Your Fear

Only a madman knows no fear. A warrior knows what fear is, he feels it in his stomach, he understands fear better than any other mortal can. What makes us strong is that we have conquered fear, overcome it not once but many times, over and over again, until the process has become instinctive. But no matter how many battles you fight and how many victories you win, your fear will never completely leave you. Learn to live with that fear. Learn to master your fear. But never forget that there are things in this universe that even you cannot face and live, abominations so terrible that their very appearance will sear the flesh from your face and shrivel your eyes. Such things cannot be fought, and to confront them nothing but a futile waste of life. In these situations, remember your vows to serve the Zarus, and remember also that you serve him best alive and not sacrificed upon the altar of vain glory.

XIX. Warriors of Zarus

There are some who stand before us and do not fear us. Their bravery is born of ignorance, for they know us not. We are the warriors of Zarus! Forged by pain and fire. Tempered by battle. We live for war! In His name my brothers we will teach these simple-minded fools what we are made of and we will teach them what it is to be afraid.

XX. Let Them Tremble

We shall not approach the battle meekly, to creep through the shadows, or to quietly slip on our foes in the dark. We are Zarusian, Men of Tharquish, Holy Knights, His Champions. Let our enemies cower at our advance and tremble at our sight!

XXI. Lead Us

Lead us from death to victory, from falsehood to truth. Lead us from despair to hope, from faith to slaughter. Lead us to His strength and an eternity of war. Let his wrath fill our hearts. Death, war, and blood; in vengeance, in Zarus' name, we serve!

XXII. In Him We Trust

Zarus, we trust in you in the hour of battle. May you protect us true as we deal death on heathen soil, may we turn the enemy's seas to red with the blood of their slain. May we crush their hopes, their dreams and turn their songs into cries of lamentation. So shall you will, so shall it be done.

XXIII. Word in the Soul

Where there is uncertainty, I shall bring light. Where there is doubt, I shall sow faith. Where there is shame, I shall point atonement.
Where there is rage, I shall show its course. My word in the soul shall be as my sword in the field.

XXIV. Unto Death

As our bodies are armoured with steel, our souls are protected with loyalty. As our swords are charged with death for the Lord's enemies, our thoughts are charged with wisdom. As our ranks advance, so does our devotion, for we are men. We are the chosen of the Zarus, His loyal servants unto death!

XXV. Destroy the Witch

Zarus, grant us the strength to destroy the scions of evil! To cover the fields with the pale forms of their blasphemous dead! To drown the thunder of battle with the shrieks of their dying! To lay waste to their citadels with hurricanes of fire! To wring the hearts of their kin with unavailing grief! To send them into the wastes of their desolated land in rags and in hunger, broken in spirit, worn with travail, and begging for the refuge of the grave! I ask it, in the spirit of wrath, O Master of Mankind!

XXVI. Fierce and Untamed

O, Lord in wrath rejoicing at bloody wars; fierce and untamed, whose mighty power doth make the strongest walls from their foundations shake. All-conquering Master of Mankind. Be pleased with this tumultuous roar. Delight in swords and fists red with inhuman blood, and the dire ruin of savage battle. Rejoice in furious challenge, and avenging strife upon those whose works with woe embitter human life!

XXVII. Faith

There is nothing in the arcane and blasphemous arsenal of the forces of hell that can compare to faith. With the power of faith, our weapons become shining instruments of deliverance that can cleave the mightiest demon in twain. With the power of faith, our minds appear as slivers of pure agony to the demon, driving into the wretched forms of those who would dare stand before us. With the power of faith, our words become commands that cause the demon to cower and cringe in terror. I meet my enemies without a shred of fear in my chest, for I know that the Lord watches over me and guides my hand. So let them come. We shall show them what the power of faith can do.

XXVII. Invocation of Zarus

From the lightning and the tempest, from plague, deceit, temptation and war, from the scourge of the inhuman, Zarus, deliver us. From the blasphemy of the Fallen, from the begetting of demons, from the curse of the witch, Zarus, deliver us. That thou wouldst bring them only death, that thou shouldst spare none, that thou shouldst pardon none, we beseech thee, destroy them!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 02:31:45 PM by Barovian Beggar »

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »
The Catechisms Martial Pt. 1

What is the greatest failure from which we must guard?
~The failure to die when death would serve the purpose of our Lord.

Against whom will the battle at the end of time be fought?
~We know only that it will not be against enemies from without.

What of those who would seek to demean us?
~Pay them no heed, for their day of reckoning shall come.

How can we defeat the foe who is stronger, in body or in number?
~No inhuman is more cunning than we and no traitor has the courage of the pious.

How must we honour our fallen?
~With every blade and breath, with every moment of victory and pain.

How must the enemy be met on the battlefield?
~The enemy fears our purity and nobility. He must therefore be met with the most pure and noble hatred.

What is the greatest sin?
~The greatest sin is treachery, for it is a sin against the soul.

How can we know when the battle is won?
~There is but a single battle, and it will never be finished.

How can we seek to win an eternal battle?
~To crusade against indignity and weakness is its own victory. Only in surrender can we possibly meet defeat.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 02:31:59 PM by Barovian Beggar »

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »
The Catechisms Martial Pt. 2

What is it that makes us Zarusian?
~We are the masters of our own fears. It is this that places us above all else.

How can we tell our friends from our enemies?
~All but our brothers and sisters will be our enemies in the end.

What right do we have to pass judgement on a fellow human being?
~It is better for an innocent man to die than risk an evil man to live. Zarus will know his own.

How far must we compromise when victory is at stake?
~The concept of compromise is alien to Zarus. To die unrelenting is to be victorious.

What can we learn from the inhuman and the traitor?
~We can learn only how to hate.

How does a Zarusian fight?
~We fight cold as steel and fast as an arrow.

What is the purpose of our crusade?
~That humanity shall live and prosper, for with every drop of our blood we extinguish tenfold those who would seek our destruction.

How do we overcome an enemy who fights with lies?
~We confront him with the truth of his own destruction.

What do our enemies see when they look upon us?
~They see great heroes of myth, gathered before them and heralding the end of their existence.

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 01:59:47 PM »
The Book of Zarus Chapter I: Genesis

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning, there was the World and from the World came all things. The last and most perfect creation of the World was Man. His name was Zarus and he was the first of the races of Mankind. Zarus came into the World without the hand of any being, mortal or immortal, being raised. He was created from and by the World alone.

Genesis 1:2 When the older races saw Zarus, they trembled. His grace surpassed that of the elves of Corellon Larethian. His endurance surpassed that of the dwarves of Moradin. His skills and craft surpassed that of Garl Glittergolds gnomes and Yondallas halflings. His strength surpassed that of the orcs of Gruumsh. Zarus was perfect in every way. All trembled lest Zarus breed a race of his like, superior to all others, but Zarus was alone.

Genesis 1:3 In his loneliness, Zarus called out to the World from which he had sprung for a companion. The World answered. Astra was created by the World, just as Zarus had been created. She was perfect and Zarus’ mate. Now, the other races grew fearful and prayed that Mankind be destroyed. Corellon heard the prayers of the elves that Mankind be destroyed. Moradin heard the prayers of the dwarves that Mankind be destroyed. Garl Glittergold and Yondalla heard the prayers of gnome and halfling that Mankind be destroyed. Gruumsh heard the prayers of orcs that Mankind be destroyed.

Genesis 1:4 In secret, the older races plotted to poison Zarus. In a gift of wine at his wedding to Astra, the older races offered a toast to Zarus’ health with poisoned wine. Zarus knew of the jealousy of the older races but honor prevented him from refusing the treacherously offered cup. Zarus drank, and died, but the World would not allow such injustice and raised Zarus as a god as great as the chief most gods of the older races and greater still as would be revealed in time.

Genesis 1:5 Now a god, Zarus wiped Astra’s tears and together they sired the races of Mankind.

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
The Book of Zarus Chapter II: Apotheosis

Apotheosis 2:1 Astra bore Zarus many children. In their perfection, they spread over the face of Oerth, adapting to the different lands in which they settled. Some of Zarus children had dark skin. Others had tan or olive skin. Still others were pale. All were the children of Zarus and formed the races of Mankind. In their seemingly infinite diversity, all honored Zarus and proved the most perfect of the creatures of Oerth, superior to all the other non-human races.

Apotheosis 2:2 In the First Epoch, Ordus Dominus Dominum, no race could fully equal the achievements of Mankind. While an elf might grow great in the fighting arts and as well in wizardry, a human could surpass an elf in either or both. And so it was in every way; other races would prove themselves able but Man was always superior.

Apotheosis 2:3 In the First Age of the Second Epoch, Annus Dominus Dominum, Man grew mightier still. No matter how a creature of another race might show a diversity of talents, Man would prove greater in any one or more. The best any of the lesser races could do is perhaps equal man in a single area, but Man would always prove the superior overall.

Apotheosis 2:4 In the Second Age of the Second Epoch, Annus Dominus Dominum Secundus, much the same was true. While there was much ferment among the older races and attempts to better their state compared to the exalted state of Mankind, these efforts ultimately failed. Humanity remained dominant and no non-human race could equal the achievements of Man. At the end of the Second Age, a great cry went up from the non-human races and their gods again heard their pleas.

Apotheosis 2:5 In the Third Epoch, Tertium Dominus Dominum, the older races were raised up to challenge Man. Now dwarves were gifted with the potential for sorcerous might. Elves might be great warriors. Even lowly gnomes, halflings and half-orcs could think to challenge Mankinds claim to domination. Yet, the blood of Zarus flowed strongly in Man. His feats were greater. His skills were unsurpassed. Humanity was favored in all ways, while the favors newly bestowed upon the older races were more limited. The world still belonged most fully to the human race as it always had belonged to that most perfect of races, the Children of Zarus.

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 08:30:50 AM »
The Book of Zarus Chapter III: Transcendence

Transcendence 3:1 Zarus guided each of the races of Man as best he could, but even Zarus, greatest of the gods, grew tired. The other non-human races and their gods never stopped trying to destroy Zarus and his children. In comely guises, they sought to seduce human men and women. Abominable admixtures of humans and the more fecund of the non-human races began to be commonly seen. Humanity had turned from Zarus and he turned his back upon them. Mankind knew not of Zarus.

Transcendence 3:2 Zarus’ wife, however, took pity on humanity. Earlier elevated to godhood by the World, much as her husband, Astra determined to raise up among Mankind other gods, that Mankind might have succor until Zarus would again turn his face toward humanity. So it was that Astra gave something of her power to other beings that they might become divine. Astra was diminished but new gods arose among humanity.

Transcendence 3:3 In the Third Epoch, Zarus revealed himself anew to his people. Many did not recognize him. Many denied him. It was in the manner of things, however, that Zarus was unquestionably of Oerth. That his connection with the World was of a different sort than any seen before was attributable to the transcendent nature of Zarus' divinity. Zarus was revealed as a god of Oerth, but also the Father of Man throughout the multiverse. His status as the only greater god of Humanity is without question and settles all arguments. It is proof of Zarus' love for his children that he grants them free will to question, even Himself.

Transcendence 3:4 Zarus’ relationship with the other gods of humanity is complicated. Zarus holds a pride of place superior to any other human god or goddess. He is the archetype. He is the realized embodiment of all that is human made divine. Zarus does not, however, ask that Mankind renounce their other deities. He cannot, for these divinities have proven themselves worthy of His Children's worship. Yet, Zarus cannot be denied. He is Humanity. In His wisdom, Zarus reveals himself to His Children slowly, without force and without demand. All shall come again to revere Zarus, for only Zarus well cares for Humanity for itself and nothing more. Zarus is the Father of Man.

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
The Book of Zarus Chapter IV: Commandments

Commandments 4:1 That Mankind shall know its place in the World and shall know how best to fulfill its destiny, Zarus has made known Commandments to be followed by all humanity alike. Those of the races of Man who reject the Commandments, thereby reject their humanity and become as any non-human race - inferior and subject to the will of Man. It the command of Zarus that all who reject their humanity be shown no mercy, even below that of the non-human, who may earn grace by serving Mankind as their natural superiors in all things.

Commandments 4:2 Thou Shalt Live. Man must survive, endure and prosper.

Commandments 4:3 Thou Shalt Conquer. Man must expand his dominion over all things.

Commandments 4:4 Thou Shalt Rule. Man must rule over all creatures and may take his ease and service from those ruled.

Commandments 4:5 Thou Shalt Be Fruitful and Multiply. Man must increase in numbers to fulfill his destiny.

Commandments 4:6 Thou Shalt Have No Others Gods Before Me. Man may worship as he pleases but must not forsake the fundamental laws of Zarus.

Commandments 4:7 Thou Shalt Honor Thy Fellows. Man must respect man, even as he strives against him in competition to prove his superior humanity.

Commandments 4:8 Thou Shalt Honor Thy Self. Man must rule and improve himself to be prepared and fit to rule others.

Commandments 4:9 Thou Shalt Make No Pacts That Bind Thee to Other Than the Human. Man shall not serve but may only be served.

Commandments 4:10 Thou Shalt Cull The Weak. Man must strengthen the race and must not suffer weakness or infirmity.

Commandments 4:11 Thou Shalt Suffer Not the Fool. Man must strengthen his mind that none may gainsay his just judgments and rule.

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »
The Book of Zarus Chapter V: Corollaries

Corollaries 5:1 From the teachings of Zarus flow certain, inevitable consequences of natural law. These Corollaries reveal the further word of the Father of Humanity. Hold true to these principles for they are second only to the Commandments of Zarus.

Corollaries 5:2 There shall be comity among the races of Man. All humanity is equal before Zarus. No man may hold himself superior over his fellow man if both obey the laws of Zarus. Racism is a sin against Zarus. The human race must stand united to rule the non-human species.

Corollaries 5:3 There shall be comity between men and woman. Men and women are equal before Zarus. No man may hold himself superior over any woman, nor woman hold herself superior over any man, if both obey the laws of Zarus. Sexism is a sin against Zarus. The human race, men and women, must stand united to rule the non-human species.

Corollaries 5:4 No man or woman shall mate with a non-human and produce offspring. The mixing of the human and the non-human in a being is an abomination in the eyes of Zarus. The offspring of man must be human, and human alone, to fulfill Mankinds destiny. The half-human is not human and must be culled.

Corollaries 5:5 Mankind bears the heaviest burden for only Man is fit to rule creation. It is Mankinds destiny to rule and guide the non-human races. Those of the non-human races who accept the law of Zarus should be treated within the law of Zarus. Those of the non-human races who resist the law of Zarus must be culled unto the last generation.

Corollaries 5:6 No human or non-human, either of whom accepts the laws of Zarus, may be enslaved. Slavery of the followers of the laws of Zarus is a sin against Zarus. Service may be taken of the followers of the laws of Zarus but they must not be enslaved. Only the weak among Men and those who reject the laws of Zarus, human and non-human, may be rightfully enslaved to benefit and serve the will of the Children of Zarus.

Corollaries 5:7 No one shall use poison. Zarus was poisoned by the followers of the non-humans and their gods. Zarus and his Children are superior and need not resort to the use of poison. The use of poison is a sin against Zarus. Poisoners must be culled.

Corollaries 5:6 Zarus was created by the World and by the World alone. Astra, the Mother of Humanity, was created by the World and the World alone. The Children of Zarus must honor and respect the World. Those among Mankind called druids must be respected and honored. They may not be enslaved nor culled. Those among Mankind called witches, who obey the Eighth Commandment of Zarus and make no pacts that bind them to inhuman masters but who honor the World, must be respected and honored. They may not be enslaved or culled.

Corollaries 5:7 Man shall not be ruled by clerics or priests. The priests and clerics of Zarus and all other human gods are advisors to Man and must not seek to rule Man under a mask of assumed divinity. No Man shall suffer to be ruled by clerics or priests. Such is a sin against Zarus and all shall be culled. Man is free to choose to accept his destiny and the laws of Zarus or to reject Zarus and be culled. No priest or cleric may interpose themselves between Man and this choice. Man owes his highest allegiance to himself and himself alone. It is the will of Zarus.

Corollaries 5:8 To rule, Man must be wise in all things. Man is the glory of Zarus and a temple to Zarus, superior to all other beings. Man shall raise up to himself and to Zarus every art, every craft, every science and knowledge. It is Mankind’s duty to promote civilization, to banish ignorance, to acquire knowledge and to advance the human race to be worthy of Zarus and the humanity that is Man’s birthright. Man shall glean knowledge even from the non-humans that he may know their ways and have knowledge of all. To be called ignorant shall be the greatest of shames in the eyes of Zarus, second only to being called weak.

Corollaries 5:9 As Zarus is the Father of Humanity, God the Creator of Humanity, Astra is the Mother of Humanity, Goddess and Giver of Life to Mankind. All shall honor and respect Astra as Zarus. In Astra’s name may the wayward atone for sins against Zarus and seek new life in his divine favor.

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
Letters of Ajaxos
i

How I have suffered these two years. I have been alone and vulnerable. Barovia is a melancholy hell that few can comprehend.

I have preached the First Father’s words to the infidel, inbred locals who have only returned “His” truth with mockery and jeers. I have quarreled with the sewer mongrels. I have fought with the stunted half men of the mountain and I have battled with the lecherous elves of the waste forest.

I have stood alone as the stalwart defender of truth and purity. I have prayed to the Alpha Prime, I have prostrated myself, laid bare all my weakness and failures. I have been measured and judged righteous.

My prayers have been answered. A virtuous man has returned and I shall forever remember this day as the momentous turning point in the Barovian Crusade.

Today, I was delivered into the Order of the Knights of Zarus. I have sworn the sacred oath that no man can break. I have pledged my life and sword to the truth of the First Father. I was titled “Name-Bearer” by none other than Antonus Taran himself!

I have been delivered!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:40:16 PM by Barovian Beggar »

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 09:38:08 PM »
ii

Double blessed this day. The Alpha Prime has delivered unto us another man of faith, Brother Karsh Dalle of Greyhawke. First impression, he knows the scripture although his interpretation of theology is not what I would consider Imperial, Not wrong just not Tharquish.

Commander Taran administered the oath and Karsh accepted the charge. With that a new knight has joined our ranks. The church grows and with this our resolve!

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 10:10:01 PM »
iii

Another knight has arrived, Calas Secondus. Chaplain Taran did not exaggerate when he stated the brotherhood would return.

Fools, mongrels and infidels have wisely taken notice and should guard their blasphemous words.
The crusade has begun!