Author Topic: Letter left at the Erudite Society RE: History of Barovia  (Read 1043 times)

FlattedFifth

• Outlander
Letter left at the Erudite Society RE: History of Barovia
« on: February 14, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »
Mesdames et Messieurs,

When I first came to Barovia, I was intrigued by how and why I came to be so far from home and wished to know more about the history of the land in which I had arrived. However, historical texts were few and incomplete. I have compiled a chronological list of major events in Barovian history, taken from what sources I could find, and ordered in such a way as to provide a much better overview of events than currently available sources allow. I also have made a copy of a letter written from a soldier to his brother during the Neureni invasion of 230 BC, found preserved in a satchel with a corpse in a tunnel complex beneath Vallaki.

If you would like copies of both texts, please let me know and I will be happy to mail them to you or, if you prefer, deliver them in person.

Respectfully,
Sahdiira Hal'Awiir

((OOC: These exist both in game as 7 pieces of paper and out of game as a couple of Wordpad text files. All information contained therein was gathered from in-game sources, no OOC information was used ))

FlattedFifth

• Outlander
Re: Letter left at the Erudite Society RE: History of Barovia
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »
*having received no reply, Sadie travels back to Port-A-Lucine and simply leaves a copy of her manuscript, along with her return address, at the Erudite Society. She then walks away, feeling somewhat slighted*

Spoiler: show

230 BC
General Princess Nicoleta von Zarovich repels invasion by Neureni, a barbarian race that emerged from a pass in the Balok Mountains and conquered much of the nation.

314 BC
War of the Silver Knives begins; a civil war between the noble families of Dilisnya, Katsky, and Petrovna.

316 BC
Count Barov von Zarovich ends civil war through diplomacy, granting more land to each of the three families involved.

320 BC
Still weak from civil war, Barovia is conquered by Tergs who displace all noble familes, including Zarovich, within 5 years. Strahd von Zarovich, eldest son of Barov, leads resistance fighters.

347 BC
Strahd von Zarovich drives Tergs from land, restores family to rule, himself on throne (parents died during occupation). Builds castle Ravenloft, named in honour of mother Ravenia. Castle becomes family home and seat of power.

351 BC
During the wedding of Strahd von Zarovich's youngest brother Sergei, Strahd and Sergei are murdered by assassins along with all of the wedding guests. The assassins were allegedly employed by Leo Dilisnya in an attempt to usurp the throne by killing all of the von Zarovichs.  One von Zarovich survived, however. The other von Zarovich brother, Sturm, had not been able to attend the wedding. Immediately after the masacre, the Mists first appeared and encircled Barovia.

351 BC
Sturm von Zarovich takes the throne and assumes the name "Strahd" in honour of his slain war-hero brother. To this day, all von Zarovichs assume the name "Strahd" when they ascend to the throne.

470 BC
The Vistani first appear in Barovia. Strahd IV forms an alliance with them, declaring them under his protection. The Vistani are officially protected by the state to this day, though why and what they provide in return is not generally known.

542 BC
The Wizard Azlan emerges from the Mist and forms an alliance with Strahd von Zarovich. Nature of alliance unknown, but wizard and ruler are often together for next 37 years.

550 BC
Mists surrounding Barovia part to reveal land of Forlorn to the south-west.

579 BC
Alliance between Azlan and von Zarovich ends. Azlan enters Mists and finds, then comes to rule, nation of Darkon.

585 BC
Mists part to reveal Bleutspur to the south.

593 BC
Mists to the west part to reveal Gundarak, believed to be inhabited by descendants of the Neureni barbarians.

684 BC
Mists to north-west reveal Borca, ruled by descendants of Leo Dilisnya.

698 BC
Mists reveal Markovia to the north.

700 BC
Group of soldiers called "The Talons", led by Vlad Drakov, discover and conquer the nation of Falkovnia after failing to conquer Darkon.

714 BC
Hazlan revealed to the east by parting Mists.

715 BC
Dorvinia appears in north-west between Borca and Markovia. Like Borca, also ruled by Dilisnya family.

738 BC
Duke Gundar of Gundarak assassinated by Dr. Henrik Dominiani, warden at an asylum near town of Teufeldorf. Reasons unclear.

740 BC
The Great Upheaval. A magical rearranging of the geography of the world, unprecedented and unaccountable. Bleutspur moves elsewhere while Hazlan moves to replace it. Nova Vass, which had been north of Hazlan, takes Hazlan's former location. Borca and Dorvinia merge into one land, still called Borca. Markovia moves elsewhere along with its northern neighbour Ghenna, in their place a deep chasm known as the Shadow Rift appears.

740 BC
Following The Great Upheaval, Strahd XI seizes control of Gundarak in a bloody nine month seige. Final victory comes when Captain Abel Ivilskova captures and beheads resistance leaders in Teufeldorf under the pretext of negotiation. Most of what was once Gundarak becomes part of Barovia while the rest, including Duke Gundar's former home Castle Hunadora, is taken by Gundarak's western neighbour Invidia.

Sources:
The Abridged History of Barovia
The Abridged History of Gundarak
The Dead Man's Campaign

*on an attached note*
Here is the history of Barovia I have compiled, combined and ordered from what sources I could find. Please direct any questions or reply to

Sadie Halloway
The Lady's Rest
Vallaki, Barovia

Sincerely,
Sahdiira Hal'Awiir
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:20:10 AM by FlattedFifth »