Author Topic: Shields too weak compared to Parry, suggested fix  (Read 21243 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Shields too weak compared to Parry, suggested fix
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »
Personally I do think Parry AC is a little overpowered; it went from being a strange, quasi-forgotten NWN artefact to a build-defining Skill here on PotM. Some of it I don't entirely like. For instance, it's fundamentally a little silly that Parry AC can be used against missile weapons -- only Monks should be able to deflect arrows. Though I doubt there's an easy fix to that.

But the main recipients of this are generally classes that needed the help. Giving Fighters something to do with their Skills and Feats was always going to be nice; Rogues may dominate PvP but in PvE they often lag behind (at least, until they become so rich and loaded with UMD that they become pocket mages and at the time pure Rangers hadn't been boosted. Giving those classes the option of a Parry build changed the metagame slightly, but not in a way that eclipsed buffed Clerics or Paladins.

Shield Fighers are eclipsed, though; but that leads us back to the idea of introducing Shield Feats...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:29:39 PM by aprogressivist »
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Deadbeat

• Undead Slayer
  • Deadbeat Stuff
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2017, 01:21:25 PM »
Parry disfavours lawful alignments because shields are lawful, this is lawful-ism to the highest degree. Nerf parry and fix alignments.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2017, 02:00:40 PM »
I think the real problem here is that feats are pretty cheap in PoTM, so there's no real downside to taking parry. If we had the amount of feats that vanilla NWN offers, then the power that parry provides would come with a price.

Sadly I have no clue how this could be balanced.
Not all who wander are lost.

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
  • "Maudlyn" Argali Dupont, Lazula Zhuelke, and more
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »
lvl cap = 16

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2017, 02:33:43 PM »
FlattedFifth, you're putting more effort into stirring up arguments than sharing ideas.

I don't see a need to introduce more "must have" feats that pigeonhole characters into fighting with only one specific set of tools. Parry is not as black and white as you make it out to be:

Parry AC takes a while to accumulate (it can take many levels to acquire skill ranks and feats), whereas using a shield is a bonus from character creation. In my experience, this +5 AC from Parry is not enough for the tougher dungeons, so characters will tend to also multiclass into a rogue-like for additional AC from Tumble, as well as investing into Expertise. The things you have to do to be effective add up over your entire character.

You will lose attack and damage by lowering other attributes to meet the intelligence requirement. You lose attack bonus from multiclassing rogue. You end up limiting your peak potential, while forcing your character to fight in only one role because the investment is so high. It's all a trade-off. Personally, I have weapon feats for both greatsword and bastard sword. I can choose a two-handed weapon or a shield, depending on the circumstance. I feel this leaves me with a higher attack bonus and damage overall.

Just because Parry is meta in some circles doesn't mean it's automatically superior. I would argue the damage bonuses on some of the crafted greatweapons are too high, especially when enchanted, but that is a separate discussion from whether or not shields are irrelevant, which they aren't.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2017, 05:50:25 PM »
I appreciate your reasoning Bad Bud, but by the same logic that parry is a skill grown over time, expertise in fighting with shields should also be rewarded. Shields should remain by their nature the blocking/parry implement of choice.

As it is now, parry at its max, is as good as tower shield +2 with the added benefit of an extra attack (for 2-weapon wielders), or extra damage (for 2-handers). The best non-enchanted shields being +1, +2 vs slashing.

Yes shields can be enchanted, but not everyone is able to enchant its own shield. I'm not advocating nerfing parry, nor the hassle of adding shield feats. But shield users could maybe be allowed the bonus of the parry skill, up to a maximum of +2, to make up for what they lose in attack bonus. That would be fair.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:51:59 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2017, 12:56:51 AM »
But shield users could maybe be allowed the bonus of the parry skill, up to a maximum of +2, to make up for what they lose in attack bonus. That would be fair.

The more I think about this suggestion, the better I like it.

It's nice and simple. It also seems like IRL because you can parry better with something (shield) then nothing.

I'd suggest one change because of a minor criticism. It makes the parry skill even more valuable. I think that's plenty valuable already, even if some try to say it's not OP. So I'd still require a feat (Shield Parry?) to take advantage of this and maybe bump the max then to 3.

That way spending a feat + 15 skill points in parry buys you 3 more AC from a shield by around level 9-11. Since 15 skill points in Tumble by themselves buys you a +3 AC, that doesn't seem a server breaker.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2017, 07:56:26 AM »
I appreciate your reasoning Bad Bud, but by the same logic that parry is a skill grown over time, expertise in fighting with shields should also be rewarded. Shields should remain by their nature the blocking/parry implement of choice.

As it is now, parry at its max, is as good as tower shield +2 with the added benefit of an extra attack (for 2-weapon wielders), or extra damage (for 2-handers). The best non-enchanted shields being +1, +2 vs slashing.

Yes shields can be enchanted, but not everyone is able to enchant its own shield. I'm not advocating nerfing parry, nor the hassle of adding shield feats. But shield users could maybe be allowed the bonus of the parry skill, up to a maximum of +2, to make up for what they lose in attack bonus. That would be fair.

This makes a lot of sense to me. +1 MAB
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

FlattedFifth

• Outlander
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2017, 02:43:13 PM »
What I like about giving a parry bonus to shield users is that it means that higher levels may find a heavy shield, with its -2 parry penalty, more useful than a tower shield, with its -10. That is also what I don't like about it because depending on how it's implemented, it may just make tower shields and heavy shields have the exact same ac. A lot of feats and skills spent just to save a few pounds of carrying weight.

One of the things Amon-Si and I discussed was have the training with shield be done with a different skill and a new feat, a strength based skill not affected by armor or shield penalties, but raise the number of necessary skill points by a great deal and put a +2 cap on it. We tentatively discussed +1 ac for every 10 points of discipline, but looking over available in game items I decided afterwards that 15 would be better. Still a +2 cap, though I think pure class fighters could get a bonus +1 for "free". So knightly plate-mail clad shield users could get this new feat, get skill focus discipline, and spend points and equipment slots on raising discipline. Same investment in feats and skills as parry builds, but lower offense and slightly higher defense.

Maybe.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:09:26 PM by FlattedFifth »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2017, 11:02:59 PM »
I must admit having completely forgot about the check penalty. I'll have to rethink the whole thing. In any case, this will be discussed among the dev team.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

dazza555

• Undead Master
  • Calibardbarian
    • http://morningstarani.deviantart.com
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2017, 01:21:03 AM »
A think that would be cool, is if towershields gave a percantile immunity/miss chance against all ranged attacks. They're the most effective portable arrow cover. But usually when you're being attacked by archer, you're flat footed, so don't get the full benefits of ac anyway.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2017, 06:13:32 PM »
I agree with Bad Bud entirely.

Parry AC doesn't become significant for quite some time, and takes a lot of skills and feats to optimize. Meanwhile, a shield user gains everything immediately, suffers no AB penalty, has the option of using higher dmg weapons. Of course a dual wielder could as well, however a solid dual wielding build would require higher dex and they would likely be using weapon finesse-adding to feats needed to maximize effectiveness while reducing dmg delivered both from lack of strength and the need to use ligher weaopns-not to mention their offhand weapon would need to be light regardless of ability build unless they wanted to suffer an even greater AB penalty.

Meanwhile, the person using a shield doesn't have to do any of that and are free to spend skill points and feats on other things-which may not be directly linked to their shield, but allow for greater defenses if they choose to take those feats. As Bad Bud already outlined it also allows them to choose a build that doesn't make them lose AB just by base progression levels in favor of the needed skill points and class skills and bonuses. All those feats sunk in to parry can be used instead for saving throw feats, energy resistance feats etc. Again, not directly linked to their shield use, but still increasing their overall defenses. I find it fairly balanced as is, and to say that parry is greater than shields is in my opinion simply not understanding how everything works together as a whole-reading lots of the arguments for adding shield bonuses I feel as if people are tunneling on the pros of parry and none of the cons. There are certainly many benifits to a parry build, but to me there are just as many to a shield build now that parry does cap in the same place a shield does.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
  • That's Mr. TheGrinningHound to you
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2017, 08:52:40 PM »
Agreed with McNastea, which I guess agrees with Bad Bud. Hrmm. Maybe I'll change..

But let's just look at the stats. Pre-reqs, sacrifices, potentials. Please correct me if I'm missing anything, too! I'm gonna have to make a few judgments as well, so this isn't simply a representation of facts-- but hopefully it'll help, even if it brings you to a different conclusion.

Shield User:
 - Required Feat: Shield Proficiency.
 - AC Amount: Ranges from +1 to +3 with mundane equipment. Common equipment will have +1 to +2 modifiers. Common varnishes can supply temporary +3 shield modifiers. Enchanted shields (Sacrifices of Xp/levels into item dropped upon death. While may be worth it, it is much more risky) provide permanent bonuses up to +7 against certain weapon types, though usually come to a total of +6 universally. **Important: The only scaling of AC that has to do with level pace is getting enchanted equipment which requires a specific level is met.
- Negatives:
 *Weight-- Tower Shields (45lbs). Large Shields (15lbs). Small Shields (6lbs). Weight can be a significant detriment to non-strength classes, hybrid builds, or packrats.
 *Armor Check Penalty-- Tower Shield (-10), Large Shield (-2), Small Shield (-1). This usually isn't a significant number, but the jump between tower shield and large shield is noteworthy. For builds that want to use skills such as stealth, tower shields are going to be a huge detriment to rely upon in combat.
 *Arcane Spell Failure-- Tower Shield (50%), Large Shield (15%), Small Shield (5%). This is also a pretty important figure that isn't often talked about. PoTM's UMD system counts arcane spell failure into scroll usage. Tower Shield users-- and even large shield users, have to count this potential for failure into their scroll usage, if they even elect to use them at all. This makes shields particularly troubling for classes that want to use magic (Scroll, or arcane), but also have a number of skills that they might prefer to invest in besides parry. I'm looking at you, Bards. Divine spellcasters and still spell users won't care. But arcane still spell users are still sacrificing a whole spell level in order to maintain their AC while casting.
 *Tower Shield Size Limitation-- This one is kind of weird. I hesitated even putting it, but I thought it should at least be considered. Small creatures (Halflings and Gnomes) can't use tower shields. Still, they get enough bonuses to make up for it, usually.

Summary:

For something with very little investment, shields are (And have always been) a great source of AC. Yes, pure clerics (or pure cleric friends) can help you get the most mileage out of a shield, but it's either so unreliable that it shouldn't be mentioned in balance, or so reliable that it's part of your core balance (That is, if you straight up are a cleric) and shouldn't be mentioned in consideration of balance.

While shield AC is and has been the norm for acquiring AC on characters, PoTM challenged this norm not just with the implementation of a parry AC system, but also impacted it tangentially with others. I'll list a few:
 -Low/Unavailable ability increasing items. You're not likely to find a piece of armor with +2 Strength. Ability enhancement relies almost solely upon spells and buffs. This exacerbates some of the negatives of shields, like the weight issue on non-pure-strength builds.
 - PoTM's Changed UMD System. Vanilla UMD isn't actually a skill check in the same way as most skills. It was your UMD (In intervals of 5) vs the DC of the item. If you had enough UMD to be able to use the scroll, you would simply use the scroll and succeed. By adding an actual skill check, they've made +UMD items actually useful-- but they've also made armor spell failure severely penalized, as I believe was intended. This shouldn't be forgotten when it comes to shields.

Parry Users:
Before I begin, it should be noted that there are two main groups of parry users: dual-wielders, and two-handers. There are flavor alternatives who sacrifice the strength bonus of two-handing for a single weapon, but they know what they're missing out on (And the fact that it's still even viable is one of the biggest hallmark's of the parry system, end-stop).

Basic Requirements:
 - Skill Selection, and/or +parry equipment. The skill is dex-based, and available to most if not all combat classes as a class skill.
 - AC Amount: +1 AC to a maximum of +5 for every *modified* 5 points of parry. Maximum AC of +7 with feats: Two-Weapon Defense, and Improved Two-Weapon Defense*. This requires a dexterity of 17+ to reach +7. While modified parry is technically lowerable with things like curse song, it's pretty much a consistent, regular device that is best considered permanent as soon as you draw both weapons.
 - For Two-Handers, Improved Parry (Which also helps you get closer to the amount needed to maximize).

Benefits:
 - Lightweight option.
 - +5 AC at maximized score, but minimal investment of simply a skill point per level.
 - Offhand can be used for weapons or auxiliary items like palantirs.
 - Flexibility. You can still always use a shield if it's better for a situation, but whether you're one-handing, two-handing, or dual-wielding you have tons of options.
 - Massive two-handed damage while still having the AC of a fully buffed shield.

Drawbacks:
 - To reach the most AC with a value of +7, you're going to need a dex score of 17 and invest two feats on top of the basic requirements.
 - Lower AB from dual-wielding (Often still favored due to higher DPS).
 - To maximize benefits of dual-wielding damage, you'll often consider taking a total of 4+ feats. (Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Defense, Improved Two Weapon Defense, Improved Two Weapon Fighting.) Builds that feature the best use of dual-wielding have dual-wielding as a literal pillar of their mechanical setup (Even on a high feat count server like PoTM), compared to the easier build investment of shields.
 - Two-handing strength builds often find themselves a little more restricted, or slower to arrive at their full benefit of basically monkey-gripping (Two-handing while maintaining good shield benefits). They might be forced to wear lighter armor, like Chainmail, in order to more reasonably hit their marks.

Summary:
Parry does what it set out to do. It creates viable options for alternative weapon sets that would have literally never seen the light of day, except for people who willfully knew they were bad, but accepted the ostracizing from their peers. Dual-wielding is in an okay spot. I think that if dual-wielders were going to dual-wield, they were going to do it whether or not they had the parry AC system. The extra APR and damage is just that good. Helping them out by supplying them AC is a good move to help dex-builds in a low magic item server. Two-Handers are more the problem child, however. The small difference between AC is often too severely mitigated by the crushing damage that comes not only the 1.5x strength modifier, but also from the bigger weapon category (Base damage, bonus properties). As well as gimmicky Improved Disarm bonuses. Two-handers were always good, now they're great. In fact, better than most same-strength sword-board builds-- especially in later levels.

This doesn't mean that shields are simply out of the metagame, or out of all of our builds.

But it does mean that if you're a pure-strength fighter or barbarian, it'll probably do you better than a sword and board. But outside of antagonize, discipline, cross-classing rogue skills, and -maybe- concentration, the fighter or barbarian never really had to struggle to consider taking parry. Ever. The people who do consider shields are builds that are feat and skill starved, or builds that have hybrids between Str/Charisma, or Str/Dex (Rangers). Paladins who have a demanding regimen of feats to get the most of out their charisma (Power Attack, Divine Might, Divine Shield, Extra Turning*, Extend Spell*). Bards who have not only a demanding set of feats (Lingering Song, Extra Song, Curse Song, Extend Spell, Still Spell), but also have a huge amount of available skills with very few ways to get all the goodies. Bards can go in sooo many directions, from the combat buffer/debuffer, to the master sleuth, to the socialite, to the stealth. Parry as a skill can be unforgiving in tight builds.

So shields do still exist. It's just that if you're a straight and simple fighter-- yeah, you're probably gonna wish you went two-hander by the time you're level 12+.

There are probably some cool ways to encourage more versatility among pure strength builds, still, and I think the OP has the right start. Maybe even consider combat moves that lower a target's parry score. Also, if you're gonna work on shields at all-- see if you can try to stretch to make small shields niche and useful in their own way. Ultimately, though, you can always balance shields by simply creating better shields in the lootbin that can help offset some of the negatives or encourage people to consider switching.

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »
 Good summary overall, though I do have a one objection. I fail to see how 5.5 damage per hit is a crushing difference, and that is assuming a strength of 24 and comparing enchanted bastard sword against an enchanted greatsword. If we compare an enchanted longsword, the difference would be 7.5 damage per hit. Definitely significant, but I wouldn't consider it crushing, especially since it is at the cost of 1 AC, 2 AC until at least level 15 or so, without access to +4 shield AC on a towershield from a cleric spell. As I discussed before, 1 point of AC is roughly equal to 20% of damage immunity or more in most situations, and of course shields don't have the feat and parry requirement.

Otherwise, I mostly agree with the summary, and also the introduction of more shields as loot, as well as a way to make small and large shields more relevant. They still have a small niche, but they could definitely be more relevant.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:02:49 PM by Night of Reod »

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2017, 11:57:13 PM »
It's not just the 5.5 damage difference for base damages. Because the weapon is in the Large category, compared to a weapon in the Medium category, it's going to get larger bonuses on properties as well when enhancing. d8's vs d6's, etc, etc. Plus, the primary critical hit damage is going to be twice that number too.

Without including other size category bonuses on the weapon that are going to give it more punch, with the same hits landed you could be doing anywhere from 5-40+ more damage a round.

Edit: That number alone might not look significant, but it's also essentially a 50% increase in damage output, with higher critical hit spikes; all traded for 1-2 AC.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:00:44 AM by TheGrinningHound »

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2017, 12:35:09 AM »
My numbers include all that.

1d12+1d8+1d8 from enchanted greatsword, +10 from str modifier, comes up to 25.5 damage per hit on average

1d10+1d6+1d6 from enchanted bastard sword, +7 from str modifier, comes up to 19.5 damage per hit on average

I was assuming +4 weapon enhancement for my previous calculation, which brings the damage difference down to 5.5 damage per hit on average. Also do keep in mind that you are likely to have a varnish or a spell such as sonic weapon/darkfire on your weapon, which does effect all weapons the same way. Overall, it is around 30% with no other factors, and weapon enhancement and spells such as darkfire do push the percentage down.

The overall figure including common spells would likely come up to 25% increased damage for the two handed weapon, and 20% to 50% effective damage immunity and two extra feats and 20 skill points for the sword and board. Of course, if you are forcing your enemies to roll natural 20s to hit you already, then you get no benefit from the AC, but that is often hard to do, and I believe impossible to do for end game content, without the usage of expertise and improved expertise feats, and the extra AC might be the difference between having to use expertise or not.

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2017, 12:59:07 AM »
Unless they changed the base damage of greatswords on PoTM (They might have, I don't play 'em!), they'd be 2d6. Anyway, here's a more comprehensive link using a Greatsword and a Longsword as an example. NWN Damage Calculator: Greatsword vs Longsword

If you're gonna use a bastard sword, you have to account that for an upgrade from 1d8 to 1d10 you're spending a feat, which puts you at the same feat deficit (Improved parry vs Exotic Weapon Proficiency). Though bastard sword does close the gap a little more, it'd be basically the equivalent of choosing Armor Skin and ASF failure and weight vs Epic Weapon Specialization.

But it still doesn't ever stop the two-hander from deciding he wants 2 more AC in a situation, and switching to a shield-- while a sword and board wouldn't have that same luxury of switching to suddenly parry two-hander without investing in the first place.

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2017, 01:59:55 AM »
Unless they changed the base damage of greatswords on PoTM (They might have, I don't play 'em!), they'd be 2d6. Anyway, here's a more comprehensive link using a Greatsword and a Longsword as an example. NWN Damage Calculator: Greatsword vs Longsword

If you're gonna use a bastard sword, you have to account that for an upgrade from 1d8 to 1d10 you're spending a feat, which puts you at the same feat deficit (Improved parry vs Exotic Weapon Proficiency). Though bastard sword does close the gap a little more, it'd be basically the equivalent of choosing Armor Skin and ASF failure and weight vs Epic Weapon Specialization.

But it still doesn't ever stop the two-hander from deciding he wants 2 more AC in a situation, and switching to a shield-- while a sword and board wouldn't have that same luxury of switching to suddenly parry two-hander without investing in the first place.

The values in the calculator are entered wrong, the bastard sword is listed as 1d10+1d+1d6, which should be 1d10+1d6+1d6. Also, in some cases, such as bards, druids or clerics, there is no difference between martial or exotic proficiency in terms of feats spend. And even then, most two handed weapon builds, especially those with high str, will be wearing heavy armor and you will need skill focus: parry as well to max out your AC. Also, carrying a shield and a one handed weapon around does nullify one of the advantages of two handed weapon, namely the decreased weight. It is even heavier to carry around a two handed weapon, a one handed weapon and a shield.

You will also lose a point of AB unless you invest in a weapon focus feat for a one handed weapon, assuming you have weapon focus for your two handed weapon, which you most likely do.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:37:21 AM by Night of Reod »

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
I specifically chose longsword vs greatsword in those calculations (I even labeled them as such). That's the fullest comparison between no investment one-handed shield fighter and a minimal investment two-hander. Comparing it to bastard sword is okay, but not exactly the best example because you still have to be choosing a separate feat for it, as I said. There's a smaller difference between great sword and bastard sword (6 dmg) and about a 10pt difference between its counterpart the longsword, sure. But there's also zero difference in minimal total feat investment if you're choosing exotic.

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2017, 11:51:38 AM »
 Ah, didn't notice it was longsword, my bad, though my point still stands as to values being entered  wrong. The calculation would look something like this, if we must use the website.

https://goo.gl/r3stcD

In that example, greatsword does 50% more damage than a longsword. If we add in a Darkfire spell;

https://goo.gl/QJfTe7

Then the damage increase goes down to 41%. And just so we have all the numbers, this is what it looks like if we add in weapon specialization:

https://goo.gl/CuF3ZV

Which is 37% more damage on the greatsword's part.

I still think, however, a bastard sword is a more fair comparison, since we are comparing the AC one gets from shield to the damage potential, and it is up to the individual to decide if the extra damage is worth the exotic proficiency or not. So here are the numbers for bastard sword, using the website again:

https://goo.gl/OxuobL

In which case, the greatsword does 30% more damage than the bastard sword. Let's add in Darkfire/Sonic Weapon to be on the same page as previous calculations:

https://goo.gl/4M0i8E

With the addition, the greatsword does 26% more damage this time. And with weapon specialization:

https://goo.gl/eIl6Nh

With weapon spec, the value moves to 24% more damage damage.

So comparing a greatsword and a bastard sword, which is likely the most accurate values for comparing two hander damage and AC to sword and board damage and AC, in its base form, we get:

-For two hander: 30% increased damage, less to carry

-For sword and board: 20% to 50% effective damage immunity, an extra feat, 20 extra skill points. (I would add the freedom to dump int, but it is likely you want that for expertise in the first place so I am just giving it a honorable mention)

And a two handed weapon user switching to sword and board for a specific instance would have the cons of:

-Having even more to carry than a regular sword and board build, loss of 1 ab unless the user is willing to invest in an extra feat, loss of crit range unless the user is willing to invest in an extra feat, more things to enchant since most people are of the opinion that relying on varnishes doesn't really count.

Considering all these values in mind, it still looks like a fair trade to me, but I would like to get your on input on the matter as well.

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »
Here's a better comparison of the two:

Two-Hander: 30-50% increased damage, far less arcane spell failure, no skill check penalty associated from offhands, . In exchange for a minimum of 1 well-invested skill, and Improved Parry (That's one feat). May require additional items or feats to improve modified parry score-- but not necessarily required.

Sword and Board: With no investment, can maintain a higher AC by 2. With exotic weapon proficiency (One feat), can lower gap between weapon damage by about half. At highest AC, is ~45lbs standard heavier, +50% arcane spell failure, -10 armor skill checks.

And that's probably the most reasonable comparison. It comes down to the difference of one feat and one skill point/level if Greatsword vs Longsword, or zero difference in feats and one skill point/level if Greatsword vs Bastard sword.

That being said, I also decided to do a new damage calculator that gave me some interesting results. I wanted to see who'd win out (Statistically) in a fight between a Greatsword wielder and a bastard sword wielder. In order to do this, I gave them the same feats, except that I modified the attack bonus by (-2) for the greatsword wielder, to pit them against each other. This number basically will show how the AC advantage of the Sword/Board wielder impacts them at different amounts of AC. The two scores are lvl 14 fighters, 24 strength, improved crit, weapon spec, and enchanted weapons.

The Results: Greatsword wielder vs Bastard sword wielder!

What you'll find is that it's actually not all that much of a difference. The Greatsword is going to be much better against lower AC opponents, because with every hit it does more damage. But because the Sword and Board has more AC, there's a certain point in which the Greatsword wielder has to start rolling 20's to hit, and he arrives at this point faster than the Sword and Board does against the Greatsword wielder (It's a narrow window, however). Then, 2 points of mutual AC growth later, when both combatants are fishing for 20's, the greatsword starts to take the lead again, but only by a small amount.

The result is that actually, when pitted against each other, and given the ability of both sources to buff to large AC, there's really very little difference. The only difference starts to become weight, arcane spell failure, and investing a skill point/level. Two-handers will, however, statistically (And by no small margin) outshine the Sword/Board wielder if the Greatsword wielder's AB is threatening enough against the Sword/Board's AC (ie: Anywhere from 12-20 contacts). This might be why we tend to see Two-Handers win unbuffed combatant tournaments.

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2017, 04:15:35 PM »
 I would agree with the statement that there is, in fact, not much difference. Which is why I am advocating that there is no need for giving shield users more AC, or damage immunity. I believe things are, whilst not perfect, sufficiently balanced for the time being and introducing more AC to shield users will disrupt that balance in a negative manner.

Also please do keep in mind that divine scrolls are not affected by UMD, and that includes any scroll that can be cast by a divine casting class. That means more than less, I would even estimate around 30%, of the scrolls are actually affected by armor failure. Furthermore, you can, in most situations, use these scrolls before putting on your armor and shield, which works around the issues of arcane spell failure. While it won't let you use an arcane scroll in the middle of combat, it by no means excludes arcane scrolls from being a possibility. This is mostly an irrelevant point, but I did want to point it out.

As a small nitpick, I don't believe there is a way to get to 25 parry while wearing full plate armor without the help of both a lucky empowered cat's grace spell (+6 to dex at least) and gloves of swordsplay, and even with those two only at level 19, which makes skill focus: parry a staple of many two handed builds.

As a finishing statement, looking at the all the numbers, comparisons, I still think there is no need to give more AC to shield users. I do think feats or some other means of making small and light shields more relevant would be welcome, and I would be in favor of feats for shield users that focus on more utility and less direct power, such as a bonus to discipline checks.

FlattedFifth

• Outlander
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2017, 02:48:15 PM »
Actually, an incorrect comparison there. You forgot that  in order to have that +2 AC vs a two-hander, the character has to permanently loose xp to enchant the shield, and then risk loosing the shield if he/she dies. Otherwise the shield user's AC is less by 1. So it's not "no investment". Also, that investment just brings the "sword and board" up to the SAME ac as someone with parry and improved two weapon defense, something a fighter, or better yet, fighter rogue, can very easily accomplish.

Let the shield user spend skills and feats to get up to the same ac as two weapon users, without resorting to magic. Then if he/she does resort to magic and winds up with a bit more defense.....   gee..... you mean you'd have a situation where you can either loose offense in exchange for defense or loose defense in exchange for offense? Wow, what a novel concept. :roll:

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »
Actually, an incorrect comparison there. You forgot that  in order to have that +2 AC vs a two-hander, the character has to permanently loose xp to enchant the shield, and then risk loosing the shield if he/she dies. Otherwise the shield user's AC is less by 1. So it's not "no investment". Also, that investment just brings the "sword and board" up to the SAME ac as someone with parry and improved two weapon defense, something a fighter, or better yet, fighter rogue, can very easily accomplish.

Let the shield user spend skills and feats to get up to the same ac as two weapon users, without resorting to magic. Then if he/she does resort to magic and winds up with a bit more defense.....   gee..... you mean you'd have a situation where you can either loose offense in exchange for defense or loose defense in exchange for offense? Wow, what a novel concept. :roll:

Regular shields do get you to +5 AC against around 90% of the damage you encounter, and +4 otherwise. It takes a long time for a two handed weapon user to get to +5 AC, especially without equipping Gloves of Swordplay, which of course means you have to choose between using a situationally more useful gloves item, such as the Bracelet of Magic Resistance, against having more AC. Furthermore, we already discussed varnishes. In any realistic situation, the shield user should never have less AC than a two handed weapon user, if they do it is more player error than anything else.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2017, 03:15:02 PM »
With regards to the enchanted shield, and being lost.

I admit I got my shield enchanted.  The xp cost was 15k, so I haven't done it until just towards the tail end of lvl 19.  But I must admit something.  That's the same shield I've had since level 4, over two years ago.  I've lost gear before to bugs, but if you screenshot it the DM's will help you out.  I've not had my gear stolen however, in all my two and a half years of playing.

Touch wood though.

As for 'permanently' losing xp, that's incorrect.  You cannot lose what is in effect an infinite resource.  I've spent 46k xp on enchanting my gear, and I've got a bit to go yet, another 10k or so.  I've then gone and done what everyone else does, and made it back.  It takes a lot of time, sure!  But its a resource that never stops ticking over, even if its just by RP.  Saying its gone forever isn't accurate.  It is in effect like spending gold.  Hard earned, well won, but its there to be spent.