Author Topic: Erroneous and ineffective creatures.  (Read 137606 times)

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
Re: Erroneous and ineffective creatures.
« Reply #325 on: May 22, 2015, 10:32:21 PM »
SO, I found one but it isn't a encounter monster, it's a summon. The level 4 spell shadow conjuration will summon a level 7 shadow fiend. the level 6 spell shades will also summon a level 7 shadow fiend. the difference, summoning via the 6th level spell lasts 2 rounds shorter.

If I am not mistaken, both default spells use the exact same "summon shadow" subspell, and the type of summon you get is based solely on caster level.  Thus, if the same caster uses both spells, he or she should summon the exact same critter either way.  The durations for both should also be identical.  So what you are describing isn't really a "bug" per se -- that is actually the intended outcome (however strange that may seem).  The real difference between the two spells is the other types of subspells they can generate.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #326 on: May 26, 2015, 08:13:20 PM »
That looks like an oversight to me. I'll check to see if we can stop the Bleeding effect once the PC is down.

Another thing I've noticed in that cave is that unlike other older dungeons the monsters do not give you that few moments of courtesy once your recover from death to book it.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #327 on: May 26, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »
That looks like an oversight to me. I'll check to see if we can stop the Bleeding effect once the PC is down.

Another thing I've noticed in that cave is that unlike other older dungeons the monsters do not give you that few moments of courtesy once your recover from death to book it.

I think this might be an AI related bug in general. We experienced the same thing in the fire beetle caverns recently, remember? They hardly waited a single round before attacking.

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #328 on: July 13, 2015, 12:44:46 AM »
I think Moor Men Bewitchers, Broken Ones, and Greater Broken Ones might be messed up. They'll go into wild shape pretty much immediately in every encounter, and then start casting from their spell list, but they must have spell failure when shaped, because they'll botch every single spell. They'll just keep on casting and casting and casting, even though their spells aren't firing, until they're killed, effectively making them bystanders in every fight. I don't think I've ever seen one get a proper spell off against my parties; it seems like wild shape is their number one priority.

Also, they're all apparently vulnerable to Animal Empathy, when wild shaped, I'm not sure if that's intentional.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #329 on: July 13, 2015, 12:51:47 AM »
shadows in the sullen woods can take damage from negative varnished dipped weapons. More absurdly they can take damage even from regular weapons dipped in negative varnishes.

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #330 on: December 08, 2016, 07:21:04 PM »
There's an odd getup going on with port calibans. The ones that are unarmed provoke attacks of opportunities as intended, but the armed calibans get free sneak attacks whenever a pc automatically deals out that AoO.

Basically, the armed calibans are getting free sneak attacks when they shouldn't be.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #331 on: January 06, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
There's an odd getup going on with port calibans. The ones that are unarmed provoke attacks of opportunities as intended, but the armed calibans get free sneak attacks whenever a pc automatically deals out that AoO.

Basically, the armed calibans are getting free sneak attacks when they shouldn't be.

I'll give the calibans Improved Unarmed Strike, which will solve both problems at once.  :twisted:

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #332 on: February 01, 2017, 07:16:42 PM »

I'll give the calibans Improved Unarmed Strike, which will solve both problems at once.  :twisted:

That's rude.  :x

I'm still experiencing the issue, however. Has it been addressed yet?

For clarification, The calibans who have weapons, usually brutes, are able to dish out a free sneak attack against the player character when the player character turns to dish out an attack of opportunity against unarmed combatants.

Giving the unarmed calibans improved unarmed would certainly fix the issue, and not getting free AoO's against the unarmed Calibans is significantly not as awful as getting boned by dual-wielding brutes and their sneak attacks.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #333 on: February 04, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »

Giving them an equipped glove/bracer item might solve the issue, if they don't have one already. Give them gloves that do +2d6 divine damage against animals for seagull pest control I say!  :P

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #334 on: February 07, 2017, 10:27:03 PM »
I'll try something else for my next update.

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #335 on: November 11, 2017, 12:11:30 AM »
Not sure if anyone made mention of this in this thread yet, but wolfweres appear to cast magic weapon on themselves and visibly having no effect. This seems like simply an extra easy round of attacks and an AoO for the person attacking them.

I would argue the same would go toward their casting of the Resistance cantrip, but that one 'works', unlike casting magic weapon on what one would assume would be creature weapons (I assume this because the 'applied' vfx of the spell doesn't pop up on them).

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
« Reply #336 on: November 11, 2017, 01:14:39 AM »
Maybe Magic Fang instead?
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

Pav

• Dark Power
« Reply #337 on: November 11, 2017, 05:19:47 AM »
Maybe Magic Fang instead?

They are Bards, so they can't cast that. Splicing them with Druid for it would mechanically be interesting, but ultimately not canon to what the creatures are 'usually'.

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
« Reply #338 on: November 11, 2017, 06:24:47 AM »
Maybe just have them buff with some other bard spell, then.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #339 on: November 16, 2017, 02:21:18 AM »
Not sure if anyone made mention of this in this thread yet, but wolfweres appear to cast magic weapon on themselves and visibly having no effect. This seems like simply an extra easy round of attacks and an AoO for the person attacking them.

I would argue the same would go toward their casting of the Resistance cantrip, but that one 'works', unlike casting magic weapon on what one would assume would be creature weapons (I assume this because the 'applied' vfx of the spell doesn't pop up on them).
They actually have weapons equipped, they just don't show up because the creature models aren't set up to show equipped items.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Pav

• Dark Power
« Reply #340 on: November 16, 2017, 12:00:53 PM »

They actually have weapons equipped, they just don't show up because the creature models aren't set up to show equipped items.

Understandable, all's good then!

derkotushka

• Chaotic Evil
  • Undead Master
  • No, you are not special.
« Reply #341 on: February 22, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »
Demonologists in Perfidus has few minor issues what can be fixed and make them a bit stronger.

When Demonologists casts time stop spell - first spell what they cast is improved invisibility and then haste.
Demonologists will become a little stronger if order of first few spells will be changed. Time stop -> haste -> other spells what they casts now.
Why they become stronger? Demonologists will be able cast on one more spell in time stop.
Spoiler: show
Maybe also make them able cast mass haste instead of simple one? But I do not know, maybe it will make few places too harsh.

Demonologists also casting two elemental shields spells instead of one.
First they casts acid sheath and after it fire shield. And fire shield rewrite acid one and so they waste more time on casting.
In my opinion with amount of fire-resistance items/feats it is better remove fire shield spell and just left acid one on them.
С любовью, безымянная звезда.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #342 on: November 20, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »
When running away from a Nightwalker while hasted (which wasn't working to escape lol) it began casting a seeing spell of some kind repeatedly when it was antagonized instead of continuing the chase.

This allowed me to escape it, thankfully, but it should only reapply whatever spell it was if it's not currently active, or simply have blind-sight and no spells oriented toward sight.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #343 on: February 06, 2019, 04:12:30 AM »
Slow shadows (black ooze blob model) aren't immune to negative energy and auto-die when they spawn in a certain negative energy area.

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #344 on: February 06, 2019, 05:52:34 PM »
Slow shadows (black ooze blob model) aren't immune to negative energy and auto-die when they spawn in a certain negative energy area.

Most shadows I've encountered are not immune to negative energy, now that you mention it. At least those in the Sullen Woods/Retezat Forest area.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

TheFury

• Undead Slayer
  • "As you can see, Drew is the server bully."-Deceit
« Reply #345 on: February 06, 2019, 06:21:36 PM »
Many of the "negative energy" creatures in the tergs like the Tollips aren't considered undead. Among other things, this means they're vulnerable to crits, don't heal from negative energy damage, and bless weapon has no additional effectiveness.
Get yourself a weapon that spits unending fire.
Discord Info: Kaithas#7352
Inactive. PM me for Trentor Atiens.
Happy Ending Offenders: Famorra Arendayel, Kymil Lornenil.

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #346 on: February 07, 2019, 07:17:42 PM »
Why do lesser shadow wolves know dispel?

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #347 on: February 07, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
Why do lesser shadow wolves know dispel?

It doesn't make them an ineffective addition when being strength drained to zero is an auto-kill condition from the surrounding greater shadows (which are awesome XP otherwise.)

Though it should probably be invisibility they cast instead. A misclick in creation that acted well enough for balance reasons perhaps.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:14:38 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #348 on: February 07, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »
Yeah I mean I think they know see invisibility already just always felt like an odd mix to me to have that and dispel instead of see invis plus invis...

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #349 on: February 20, 2019, 07:17:25 PM »

Most shadows I've encountered are not immune to negative energy, now that you mention it. At least those in the Sullen Woods/Retezat Forest area.

Many of the "negative energy" creatures in the tergs like the Tollips aren't considered undead. Among other things, this means they're vulnerable to crits, don't heal from negative energy damage, and bless weapon has no additional effectiveness.

Trillochs and slow shadows are outsiders, same type as a slaad, succubus or gelugon so they are not immune to critical hits.  They are, however, creatures of negative energy and should be completely immune to negative energy. Trillochs are not explicitly immune in 3rd edition (slow shadows are) but they are native to the negative energy plane so they simply cannot be harmed by the stuff or else they would not survive their own home.

Xeg-yi are energons, their type is elemental in 3rd edition, so again, they are not immune to critical hits. They too are native to the negative energy plane so should be immune to the stuff.

Btw, this place you are talking about is a great example of how skillfully and thoughtfully the ecology of the module truly is. By just the creatures encountered in those terg crypts, one can be given the impression a rift of some sort was opened there or that a strong influence of the negative energy plane existed. At least for lore nerds like myself. Its always been something I appreciated about PotM, the care given to match encounters with place.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.