You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Pets please, please pets!  (Read 658 times)

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Pets please, please pets!
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2024, 06:30:39 AM »
Unlikely to happen. That would be a significant scripting effort for marginal gain and potential cost to server performance.

There are already several options available to player characters that do wish to acquire an animal companion:
- Multiclassing in a base class providing one should be the first option to consider. It's a move with its pros and cons, but ultimately achieves the desired goal.
- Scrolls and items that summon/charm animals. You can always propose new items that might accomplish this if you feel we need more of those.
- Joining the Garda, whom have been granted the perk of controlling some dog NPCs.

Adding more at this point feels redundant and unnecessary.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Janarah

• Undead Slayer
    • Author C.R. Beaumont
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2024, 08:22:34 AM »
Unlikely to happen. That would be a significant scripting effort for marginal gain and potential cost to server performance.

There are already several options available to player characters that do wish to acquire an animal companion:
- Multiclassing in a base class providing one should be the first option to consider. It's a move with its pros and cons, but ultimately achieves the desired goal.
- Scrolls and items that summon/charm animals. You can always propose new items that might accomplish this if you feel we need more of those.
- Joining the Garda, whom have been granted the perk of controlling some dog NPCs.

Adding more at this point feels redundant and unnecessary.

Mab is completely correct.
I also have to agree with other posts in this topic, it would be disruptive and make potm feel more mmo-ish than it is already starting to feel.
There's already druids running around chasing one another in animal forms like a bunch of dogs in heat, seen it happen more than once in the mc of late, adding pets to that mix well. . .
There are many many classes which have some sort of familiar or summon as is. Take the classes and go for an rp build instead of a power build, and you'll have your pet/companion/familiar.
"Life is full of mysteries, why can I not be one myself?"
~Nightwolf
Current: Belia/ Kalis
Shelved mostly: Sudhri / Atlantia / Radriel/ Herophile Sybil/ Lliannia/ Rabbit/
Closured (dead or other): Marius/ Calous/ Ellana/ Radu/ Ania/ Anica/ Olath

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2024, 09:10:55 AM »
Pets are an MMO thing.  This isn't one.

Pets are a real thing... that people have IRL, as companions. I am not asking for a collection of pet collectables.

Pets are a thing, sure, and there are classes that have access to them.  Play one.  Or invest in animal empathy.  If I remember right you can get a bird on your shoulder for aesthetics.  Those are the options readily available. 

Murd

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2024, 09:11:31 AM »
Maybe I’m the outlier here but I would find it disruptive to allow everyone a pet. I can’t imagine walking through the outskirts and there being 20 pet cats wandering around. It could add so many complications to things as well. Playing a Garda and having the NPC follow you often leads to a lot of complications, I also couldn’t imagine the troubles that would arise if everyone had one.

Hemolymph

• Undead Slayer
  • Servant of Rennbuu, Lord of Colors
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2024, 09:26:30 AM »
Maybe I’m the outlier here but I would find it disruptive to allow everyone a pet. I can’t imagine walking through the outskirts and there being 20 pet cats wandering around. It could add so many complications to things as well. Playing a Garda and having the NPC follow you often leads to a lot of complications, I also couldn’t imagine the troubles that would arise if everyone had one.

Pretty much my thoughts aswell tbh
From the crushed wings of rare lepidopterans. 'Painting black, or painting white, this is the stuff that'll see you right.'
Art.mp4

EarlofEtheria

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2024, 10:26:18 AM »
- Scrolls and items that charm animals.

Dominate can be used for this, Charm is not going to have the desired effect on NPCs without a DM to support you. Hostile NPCs will still be hostile to everyone except the caster when charmed, and there's no controlling a charmed neutral NPC.

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2024, 11:13:22 AM »
i was thinking "hm, no, pets is a bad idea"
but then i thought "hm, fireball!"

add pets so an mpc can just explode everyone's cats
easy conflict starter "He killed my cat!"

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2024, 11:18:34 AM »
1) Hire ox
2) Cast (Baleful?) Polymorph Scroll/Spell on Ox
3) ???
4) Profit
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2024, 11:44:09 AM »
1) Hire ox
3) ???
4) Profit

Or baleful polymorph a pc and have them be your cursed pet ;)

William Roberts

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • Thrown a kettle over a pub...what have you done?
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2024, 12:36:53 PM »
Spoiler: show
1) Hire ox
3) ???
4) Profit

Or baleful polymorph a pc and have them be your cursed pet ;)

Would not be the first time that has happened on the server  :mrgreen:

Beauty like a tightened bow, a kind that is not natural in an age like this.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2024, 01:03:56 PM »
There is that, and we have enough people dragging animals and such into the Ladies Rest and the Outskirts temple. Literally seen several Oxen in the Tavern, badgers, dire wolves, the list goes on. It breaks immersion and goes against common sense.

Wolrath

• Outlander
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2024, 07:50:07 PM »
+1
Maybe not as a feat eh Maybe something with an useable item from a petshop or sold from the spirit in the creation room at the beginning.
A thing you can take only there as part of background for your char
Active: Zalbaag Hyrule- Salmour Crovas
Sometime: Wolrath / Greeven / Ixivill

Trygve

• Outlander
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2024, 03:06:31 AM »
This will very quickly become disruptive to RP when 11 people show up to an important RP event lugging along their favorite cat/dog/frog/bat.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2024, 04:26:30 AM »
Too mmo-y for my taste. That, and I will kick your dog and I don't think people are ready for that kind of pvp.

Stormy

• Red Academy
  • Outlander
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2024, 04:31:58 AM »
Yeah this will rapidly lead to hard feelings when I gutwrench your dog to send a message. Like there's no way this ends well.