You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: I thought the darkness here was metaphorical...  (Read 3149 times)

lucid

• New to the Mists
I thought the darkness here was metaphorical...
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:45:04 PM »
I keep losing all the light on my screen. I can hit Tab, and everybody and everything highlights as normal. It is not a Darkness Spell, nor a Blindness Effect, it is a straight up glitch. The entire screen is bathed in darkness, and I can't see crap, not even torch sconces and candelabras I'm standing next to, people with light spells, swords on fire, nothing.

Stepping away/towards light seems to help, i.e. making the game engine recalculate, but not always. It seems very random. It does not seem related to the induced blindness of being at negative HP, nor any other "legit" effect in game, that is, it's not after I've been healed to my feet and stuck there. Those darkness moments come and go as normal...this just strikes without warning, I'm walking down the hallway and POOF struck blind by the gods, then POOF it's a miracle I can see again.

I have noticed it happens A LOT in that last room before the bottom of the Crypt under the Morninglord Temple, where you click the wooden beam to go down the rope. I have to hit Tab to see anything, but still can't see placeables that are not clickable, so I stumble into things, get stuck on walls beside doorways, etc...very frustrating!

Anyone else have this problem? Is it because I'm playing a Selunite and have offended Shar? Anything to be done about it? Honest blindness and darkness I can accept but this is starting to make me crazy.
"Angels are bright still, though the brightest fell. Though all things foul would wear the brows of grace/
Yet grace must still look so."

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Re: I thought the darkness here was metaphorical...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »
Are you playing something with low-light vision or darkvision? I noticed that when you're close to a light-source with those, it makes you go blind kind of. Not quite as bad as what you seem to have described, but could be related.

lucid

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:03:17 PM »
Nope pure human. I often have a Light spell on me, but have not noticed it to be a factor.

Samples:
Spoiler: show

With TAB

Without TAB

"Angels are bright still, though the brightest fell. Though all things foul would wear the brows of grace/

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 06:09:17 PM »
It's Shar's doing, lmao!
That's what you get for being Selunite!
"What is a day, without  a blessed night?
And what is peace, without a blessed fight?"

Aldabreck Stone Helm

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »
Human is the reason you are blind. I believe it is for immersion. Humans have poor sight so at night and in dark places it is really dark here.

dazza555

• Undead Master
  • Calibardbarian
    • http://morningstarani.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 06:17:06 PM »
Might need to turn up your light emitting sources in your video options. Areas without light are meant to be that dark though for people without lowlight or darkvision.

lucid

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 06:40:05 PM »
Areas without light are meant to be that dark though for people without lowlight or darkvision.

..or lights? This happens while standing beside a torch sconce that's lit, too. And while I have a Light spell up.

My "vision" will return after a minute or two. So I don't think it's a video setting, at least not directly like that.

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 06:51:52 PM »
 I would recommend turning down the "dynamic lights" slider in the video options, I remember someone having a somewhat similar issue and that being the problem. Best approach would be to turn all the fancy options off and seeing if that helps, and if it does, enabling them one by one to isolate the issue.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »
Nwn tends to have pr9blems with multiple dynamic light sources eapecially with creatire types that lack low light or dark vision. For example a lighy spell suddenly near a target woth a bright light torch attempts to change the loght dynamics and shadow slider a bit thia can cause in game shading that makes it too dark or impossible to see.  Often when its due to light sources its because of mutiple light sources or shading. As recommended might want to change these in the options. There also a situation when running the game on a foue core or multiple processor computer or with a shadow rmgine light sources get wierd.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

lucid

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 07:42:16 AM »
Further probing.

First a picture of "Normal Darkness" for comparison. I can see light sources, cobwebs, and (somewhat) my character.

My settings...I play with no frills, give me performance over pretty. I will try turning the dynamic lighting up tonight when I play.

There also a situation when running the game on a four core or multiple processor computer

Is that not all of them at this point?

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 12:18:04 PM »
Yes, but there is a method for you to manually tell nwn to run on a dual core on its best setting. But each graphix card is unique there is a hot fix in old nwn forum. It actually works well for ati and HP xomputer as well as Compaqs. Id have to go digging but its something you change in setting thebpriorities which fixes most gang/lag and lighting issues for older games.

It however only works on pre windows 10 OS as Windows 10 is a butt in conpatability issues
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

lucid

• New to the Mists
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 12:49:29 PM »
I am windows 10  :(

I may just have this be my poor kindhearted luminous soul of a character reacting to the overwhelming evil of the region, she just blacks out occasionally from the oppressive spiritual atmosphere.

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
  • Catching natural 20s from monsters since birth.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
That's just for being a blind human. My screen is like that when I have no light source. Get some glow jars
Hjorta the Heartless- Seidr Wight
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer
Asmund Ingvar- Berserker Runemaster

lucid

• New to the Mists
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 12:53:22 PM »
That's just for being a blind human. My screen is like that when I have no light source. Get some glow jars

This implies that it will remain that way forever...it does not. The UtterDark wears off after a little while, even without change in position or environment. I've never had it last longer than about 180 seconds. In the sample pix near the beam is good example. I backed out of the final fight due to empty potion bottles (normally my F8 slot there), and was waiting by the beam unmoving and without a light source when the UtterDark came on and blotted out even my view of my character, which is not normal. It then wore off a few minutes later, while I was still standing by the beam waiting for the rest of the party to finish.

I expect things to be Dark when there's no light. This is more than that, and it will even blot out existing light sources (torch sconces and candelabras) which should be visible, and it happens while I have a Light Spell on (dim moonbeam light but I can see the difference). I have had it happen when wielding a Flame Weapon which definitely has a bright light source.

I will attempt to get a Dark and Not Dark picture of the same spot, for compares.

The issue does not occur in outdoor areas, FWIW. It has happened in the spider cave, in the "small creature" cave, and in the crypts.

Maybe the problem is not that I'm stricken by darkness...maybe the problem is my character has Super-Vision which occasionally wears off...hmmmm...

I think for further testing I'll make a character with darkvision and see what happens.

dark_majico

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 08:18:19 AM »
I've noticed this happens to me when I play humans sometimes, I think it is just the way the engine works, it might also be affected by your graphics card and how it the game deals with light different light sources. I don't think its any sort of bug or issue, it's just an old game and it appears to act odd sometimes. There are actually quite a lot of hidden mechanics that are working all the time that you don't get feedback about at all, so they might affect your characters vision.