You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Sudden Massive Lag  (Read 4245 times)

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
Sudden Massive Lag
« on: January 12, 2017, 12:04:50 PM »
I was able to play normally for about 5-10 minutes this morning before getting massive lag on the server. I only get that lag trying to connect to the server. Everything else works just fine and my internet doesn't lag at all.

Anyone else having this problem right now?
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
Re: Sudden Massive Lag
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »
UPDATE : I tried connecting to a bunch of other server and everything works fine, only PoTM seems to be cursed with a massive amount of lag.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 12:48:48 PM »
I had something like that yesterday! It got as bad as 5-7 second delays. I took a small break and when I was back it was fine. Though no reset had occurred.
"What is a day, without  a blessed night?
And what is peace, without a blessed fight?"

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 01:13:38 PM »
As strange as it is... everything came back to normal. Must be the Dark Power ;)
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »
It's been a while now and this problem seems to be recurring. Almost everyday between 10am and 2pm (an average) I get lag spike on PotM. I tested a few other server and my internet as well and everything seems to be fine. This problem only seems to be on the game server.

The lag can get pretty bad, from a 2 sec delay, to a 10 sec delay which makes it impossible to play at all.

Did anyone ever had or is having a problem like this? If it's just me... well I must be cursed, but I'm pretty network curse don't exist and I'm sort of hoping someone else have the same problem, at least I'd know the problem doesn't come from me.

~ Iluvatar
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 12:20:45 PM »
Experienced this massive lag last night  :mrgreen:

Was whispering to Medea. Then found myself back several feet next to Hestia whispering to her. Hestia already sent me a tell to say I was whispering to her, even on my screen I was next to Medea.

Went into a hotel room to change clothes. Teleported back outside with the hotel room locked and in the middle of changing clothes.

We were talking about voting for a reset but were afraid we'd have to start walking from Vallaki again :(

Also! Liz in the ML Temple wouldn't talk to anyone for many seconds or finish her conversation with them. It was a couple of minutes just to give her knuckles.

On Discord they said the server crashed after I logged out.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 07:27:43 PM »
Normally I log on NWN through an external launcher so I never really see the my ping with the server.

So I used the classic launcher to check the ping... my ping with PotM was very high with something around 2500. Other server seemed fine though, ping were normal everywhere between 70-90.

Normally I would imagine the problem doesn't come from me, but I asked several people and while others have told me they have lag like that sometime, the time at which it happen doesn't coincide with mine.

I'm completely lost and I don't have a single idea of what could be causing it. It's been doing this for a bit more than 2 weeks.

EDIT : Actually my ping with the server is 4700
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:56:07 PM by Iluvatar »
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

dark_majico

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 08:22:05 AM »
If it doesn't affect everyone then its most probably a local problem, it could be anything, your ISP, your location, your internet settings. Unfortunately it's probably impossible to actually know.

Vicious

• New to the Mists
  • Bellegarde Consortium Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »
I've been getting this as well since we switched to the new host. My lag will be anywhere from a few seconds of delay to a full minute. Sometimes my tells will be going through, but characters won't load on my screen and I'll eventually crash. It makes the game virtually unplayable at times. Just wanted to add my experience in as well so Illuvator knows he's not alone in this.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:53:41 PM by Vicious »
"Your soul is able, death is all you cradle
Sleeping on the nails, there’s nowhere left to fall
You have admired, every man desires
Everyone is king when there’s no one left to pawn."

Apsalar

• Undead Master
  • :)
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 11:55:14 PM »
I've heard a lot of complaints about lag and similar issues since switching to the new server, mostly from those living in the US. If everyone can post their experiences and comparisons to the previous server we can get an idea as to how widespread the issue is. If you hear someone complaining, encourage them to post here.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 12:28:00 AM »
Like with any server there were times i got lag, usually during heavy events or if the server got really bogged down from not being reset in quite a while. But its been more prevalent lately, i experience it more in my evenings (GMT -5). Just as Ilvultar said, usually a 2-10 sec delay like tonight. Where there was significant noticeable delays between my emotes, my character kept sliding all over the place and whip lashing back to a previous point after walking or moving.

Yet two or three hours earlier i had zero issues, everything was going really good and smooth, and then it was like i ran straight into a wall. Most assumed it was the port event. But its carried on right up till now, only getting worse to the point PoTM wasn't even playable any more and i had to log.

Not really experiencing lag else where, did a quick test on another server, and everything else is running smoothly.

dark_majico

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 06:28:51 AM »
Well I'm in the UK and I am lag free, I can't remember the last time I experienced any while playing. That goes for post and pre host change.

Siege Spectre

• New to the Mists
  • The devil lies in the details.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »
I've been getting this to.  I didn't really pay it any attention as I rarely play PotM much anymore, but since the turn of the year I get patches of severe lag, all the way up to the point of the server disappearing.  I assumed it was a routing issue on the way to my corner of the world.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 11:32:21 AM »
It seems one of those cases...
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »
Still happening.
Not all who wander are lost.

Soulbourne

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
I was having this problem and seem to have found a solution, or at least it's worked so far. I have a Nvidia GeForce 965M graphics card, and noticed this issue to the point that I haven't been able to adventure or go places;however, the laptop ran other newer games perfectly. In my last ditch effort I downloaded an older driver for my graphics card from December and today that seems to have eliminated the issue. It's possible that the newer updates to some cards are not yet working properly with older games. (Similar to the 2014 nvidia graphics architecture issue). Hopefully this helps some people.

Edit: Turns out this did not fix it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 03:58:32 PM by Soulbourne »

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »
I was having this problem and seem to have found a solution, or at least it's worked so far. I have a Nvidia GeForce 965M graphics card, and noticed this issue to the point that I haven't been able to adventure or go places;however, the laptop ran other newer games perfectly. In my last ditch effort I downloaded an older driver for my graphics card from December and today that seems to have eliminated the issue. It's possible that the newer updates to some cards are not yet working properly with older games. (Similar to the 2014 nvidia graphics architecture issue). Hopefully this helps some people.

Edit: Turns out this did not fix it.

Those sudden lag spike are due to network issue, updating graphic card driver or stuff like that won't change much to it. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do about it.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

greeneggs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 12:28:10 AM »
I'm bringing up this topic again.  Me and Alex Stormfist, who are on the Pacific coast of the U.S. are experiencing a lot of lag.  So much in fact that it is hard to roleplay on the game much less dungeon at all.  Is anyone else experiencing this? It is not our modem, I have restarted it over and over again and no other online games seem to be an issue.  I'm unsure what the deal is right now, but on my end there seems to be nothing more to do.

greeneggs

NWN_lovableweremink

• Outlander
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 01:41:44 AM »
The lag has been down right horrific.
I'm in the southern US, have great Internet (TV rated DSL, average of 45 mbs/sec ) an outstanding gaming rig that before the switch could run PtoM on highest settings including shiny water. The last week it has been up to 15 second delay between click and action/conversation start. I have seen things jump back, then jump forward again. Earlier tonight, before the reset, Creatures in the caves near vallaki just sat there, didn't fight back or do anything. After the reset, in a group in the thoul cave, the lag was so bad that every other creature, and toon actually disapeared from the screen, and only logging out and back in cleared that.

a few things that could be causing it:
#1 Tonight there were 62 players on during the worst of the lag. Last night 66 when it was acting bad to. I know it is spring break here, so maybe once it is over things will get back to normal.

#2 There were 3 AMPC/MPCs on doing their thing in the outskirts- bringing more players into the same areas. (high number of players in 1 area has always = lag)

#3 There have been repeated script error messages on player log-in something about player update- when this message is sent there is usually 5-30 of the messages sent in a row.

#4 There has been several instance of double placeable spawns at the same location. Last night in the crypts under the outskirts- 2 sarcophagus were in each spot they spawn in, and both could be interacted with. Also several herb plants on the same spot, a woundwart, 2 wolftail, and a hawkfeatherfern.

#5 several dungeons do not re-spawn after clearing- the ant mound in particular had only one ant in the entire thing 5 real hours later. The crypts also do not clean up previous kills.

#6, the lag was way worse 2 nights ago during a DM event in Kroftburg. It tends to during most events that have anything spawned in, or loads of people at.

As much as I hate to say it, as I realize how unpopular the topic has been in the past- but if 60+ players on at peak times is the new normal for Ptom- then maybe it is time to start thinking about splitting the server into 2, server vault connected servers, where Barovia is one, and the rest of the countries of  Ravenloft is the other. The only reason i suggest this is if there is a port 30 player  dm event going on, then why do the 30 players in Barovia need to get lagged out while it is happening? The answer is they don't. There are several other servers up now that have split servers with loads of players. It can be done and still maintain the popularity, and usual running excellence that PtoM always has maintained.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 07:09:21 AM »
Lag has been terrible for me too.

* Traversing Vallaki from east to west. Other PC would disappear from screen but I could read their text. I would reply and my text would not show for so long that I would think I'd crashed. Other PC would show up way ahead of me, then way behind me.

* Inside the Kinship Lodge with only one other PC (Agnes Gautier) and Adeline. No other PCs or NPCs present. Conversation was so bad that I relogged and Agnes either crashed or relogged. It's hard to tell whether relogging helps or the lag comes and goes.

* Terg Ruins with Medea and two other PCs. All of us were teleporting around the screen. Foes such as the bone golems would not be visible, but Iridni would engage them and damage would show up. Invoking Divine MIght would not result in the visual effect for several seconds but instead Iridni would be stuck doing the animation that happens when you put things in an herbalist container (and the server lags). While fighting the wights and vampires nothing would happen for several seconds and then one or more would already be dead with a flurry of damage reports and several more injured. Once I entered a room and targeted the vampire priest. Not only did I run right by him without being able to do anything, he appeared to ignore me and run past me as well, so that both of us had to turn around and run back to engage.

The lag makes RP less immersive because of everyone talking past one another. It makes me reluctant to do any "dangerous" dungeoning for fear my character will seem to be fine and then suddenly a flurry of attacks will render her dead before I can even see what's going on or have a chance to react. Unlike many players, I don't know the entire server and seldom am able to prep for exactly what I'm about to encounter. Plus this makes the encounter feel like "you see several red things on the screen and hear fighting music. A few moments later, they're all dead, and the music is pretty again."

Eastern US.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 09:10:41 AM »
Just going to throw my own two cents in here.  I'm currently in an absolutely awful internet connection area, with a speed of around 256kbs at best with my current capped internet, in Australia south, nudging towards the centre, and I... don't have any of these issues whatsoever.

This is unusual then.  Whatever affects you guys, despite the fact I am a -very- long way further off from you, doesn't seem to affect me.  I can play extremely heavy traffic period areas with hardly any problems at all, and certainly not to the degree you're all describing.  I'd have thought it would affect me as well - is everyone affected on the east coast?

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 09:55:59 AM »
I also noticed on a server reset yesterday that the vote was around 25 to 4 in favor.  I took that as a sign a lot more than me were having lag.

greeneggs says she and Alex Stormfist are on the Pacific Coast.

NWN_lovableweremink

• Outlander
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 11:45:55 AM »
Just played on it for over an hour, (Central time 9:00-10:30 am) with 20-25 other players on, and possibly  DMs too. Not an ounce of lag to report, other than a 2 second wait for Petre's conversation to pop up. I have to believe that it's the amount of players on at once that has been causing most of the lag, as NWN was never designed to be a large scale MMO type game. The original max player, a server could have back at release was 32! and we are seeing double that now almost every night (USA time anyway).

There are certainly a few things we as the players can do to help things run smoothly- #1 is clean up after ourselves in game. remove all items from corpses, and use the trash cans for junk! when store inventories get big, it can cause lag! Clean up your set placeables to! Campfires, saw horses, marks!, and tents. these things end up everywhere and have nothing going on around them.

Mistwalker

• New to the Mists
  • The night belongs to them.
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
Got hit by a massive lag monster this morning. I was in the crypts scrounging for healing potions and teleported about five times.. then got attacked by invisible skeletons and got critted. I am concerned with Meta as much as the next guy.. however.. If a player is honest is it excusable for a player to ask for assistance due to  lag smack down?

I am lucky I was on and a DM showed mercy so I didnt die and did not lose my fang or weapon.

What I do when I notice lag now is avoid combat... find a safe place and rp, reset my computer and connection, call for a reset and wait for the lag storm to abate. Lag or not still a wonderful server.

Any comments?
https://goo.gl/photos/hqRqVtR6fhkukkRR9

The night belongs to them, not us.

Song of Danta

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 03:27:00 AM »
Country-town Australia here. Ancient infrastructure, dial-up speeds comparable to what Nemesis mentioned.

My lag has always been atrocious, but lately, it's been mega-atrocious. Couldn't think of a stronger word. Sorry.
I have to predict what is going to happen within the next three rounds whilst engaged in combat. Before, I had 5 seconds latency at best, and 10-15 at worst. It's probably 8-10 seconds at best, now.
Getting a lot of rubber-banding: when I think I'm still moving with my group, I'm actually stuck on a rock a mile back. In fact, a lot of my issues seem to be to do with pathing. I use WASD movement as often as possible, but still struggle to work out where it looks like I am versus where I actually am.
Sometimes my character just spontaneously dies, and I have to scour the log to work out what happened. That's always frustrating and embarrassing...
I feel nervous to go and adventure now because I am worried I will let the group down by being sloppy/unable to react quickly.
Accessing my inventory is excruciating. Moving things around is a nightmare. Purchasing crafting supplies is a nightmare. Every second click-and-buy lags out or doesn't register.
I also have had the dialogue lag, inventory vanishing, and creatures not spawning in issues - despite having not timed out!