You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Weaponsmithing and lacking weapon profficencies  (Read 2442 times)

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
Weaponsmithing and lacking weapon profficencies
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:43:01 AM »

Since I got into smithing, I've had a few revelations since I generally put a lot of emphasis on the RP around the things I do.
One short-coming is that my character does not have exotic proficiency, which means I can never customize template appearance.

I was wondering if it's possible to create some kind of "Crafter's Gloves" that have:
Martial and Exotic weapon proficiency, but -20 to AB (because otherwise being exploitable by mages with true strike to use pistols).
Possibly add light, medium and heavy armor proficiency to them or some other item. Also with massive negatives that would render it non-exploitable.
"What is a day, without  a blessed night?
And what is peace, without a blessed fight?"

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Re: Weaponsmithing and lacking weapon profficencies
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 10:43:27 AM »
One of the things iv always hated about nwn is the unrealistic nature that if you don't have a weapon feat you cant even hold a weapon. One server i played ages ago created a fix that allowed you to hold any weapon but it came with penalties unless you took the feats.

But seeing as that is probably quite a bit of work, i do really like the idea of "crafter gloves" being sold at smith.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:37 AM »
This would be good and effective, on a different server, we had a item called ring of the smith which gave the feat martial training, as well as something else minor, but it also gave.

-5 dex -20 ab, -5 reflex.. and came wit ha warning. " This is not meant for combat wearing."

I think the gloves would be useful for magi and other classes that don't have martial weapon.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »
There's a blacksmith apron item sold in some blacksmith shops that gives martial proficiency. It's not in all blacksmith shops though, offhand I don't remember which one I found it in.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 01:08:06 PM »
There's a blacksmith apron item sold in some blacksmith shops that gives martial proficiency. It's not in all blacksmith shops though, offhand I don't remember which one I found it in.

huh, didn't know that

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 05:26:50 PM »
That is good, but it's no exotic proficiency. It should be both and there needs to be some kinda of holdable for all kinds of armors, I think.

booksarefun666

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 05:54:01 PM »
You can get the blacksmith apron at Krofburg or Dementlieu, but you're right there's nothing you can do if you don't already have exotic weapon proficiency.

Being able to rename weapons would be nice, but that's off topic.

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »
I already made a thread that suggests crafters should be able to name their templates and change their descriptions.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 06:38:23 PM »
I would not hold my breath on any item that would grant exotic weapon proficiency just for the sake of items customization. The point of the Apron is to allow all characters to be able to work in the craft of their choice, and it does so. The customization of items while nice, is absolutely not a necessity. You can, and should anyway, leave that to the player who would actually wield or wear the weapon/armor.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 06:49:58 PM »
You can, and should anyway, leave that to the player who would actually wield or wear the weapon/armor.

I'd say it's certainly a 'can', not a should. When I played a smith I'd ask characters what style they wanted it made in and altered it accordingly. And sometimes characters just want to make a somewhat unique impression. If people want to change it afterwards, go ahead! It's just a step some crafters like to take. :)

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »
So i'ts been a while but someone refresh my memory.. why would you need exotic feat? pickaxes and smith hammers and hand axes are only martial.

Calliope

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 08:39:30 PM »
For equipping exotic weapons so you can customize them.

Just the bang and the clatter as an angel hits the ground

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 02:24:57 AM »
You can, and should anyway, leave that to the player who would actually wield or wear the weapon/armor.

I'd say it's certainly a 'can', not a should. When I played a smith I'd ask characters what style they wanted it made in and altered it accordingly. And sometimes characters just want to make a somewhat unique impression. If people want to change it afterwards, go ahead! It's just a step some crafters like to take. :)

One I very much like to make.