You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The Drain Suggestions  (Read 2814 times)

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
The Drain Suggestions
« on: December 26, 2016, 06:46:14 PM »
Hi!
It's that time in the cycle when someone asks about improvements to The Drain!

I've picked up a fair bit of chatter recently regarding Outcast roleplay and the difficulties thereof.
I've thought for a while that The Drain has been a little left behind. To my knowledge, aside from the recent addition of the extra herbalists' cauldron, The Drain has not had any major updates since before the introduction of other Domains.

Understanding that Outcast roleplay is meant to be a challenge, I nevertheless feel that Outcast roleplay could be improved and fostered by some changes (big and small) to The Drain to make surviving as an Outcast less challenging and encourage the use of the area more. My suggestions are listed in order of my perceived importance.

I encourage others to comment and suggest their own ideas.

Fix the Shady Peoples' Cloaks They appear to be equipped with default Cloaks of Elvenkind. These cloaks, whilst nice on their own, look horrible with their nice shady black leather.

Storage The Drain has a banker (which is great), but no player item storage. Outcasts can use the Port-a-Lucine bank to store items, but honestly that makes very little sense. Giving Outcasts somewhere to store items would be a great benefit.

More shopping options The Drain merchant inventory could use updating. We have lots of new RP items that are available elsewhere like general stores and the Mist Camp. If the merchant down there sold things as simple as paper and quills, candles and bedrolls, it'd be a big help.

Alter the RP XP Limit It is my understanding that The Drain is intended to be the Outcast hub for the entire server. Although Port-a-Lucine does have its Black Market, there is nowhere for characters to 'move onto' as it is with, say, the Outskirts. Currently RP XP for high-levels is reduced in the area, which discourages them from hanging around there and interacting with lower levels.

Rentable Rooms The Drain has lots of spare space. DMs can and do hand out keys, but I very rarely ever see the private rooms being used. If players could rent these private rooms from an NPC, in the same way as the The Governor's Hotel and the Tenements, it would encourage more roleplay. By necessity a lot of the RP in The Drain is going to be private stuff, but currently there is nowhere 'private' for players to go.

More finance opportunities Outcasts, rightly, don't have as many ways to earn cash as topsiders. However, in the spirit of encouraging people to play and keep playing, I think it would help if they had some way if they did. An Outcast profession, like ratter or sewer-cleaner, would offer a small, steady income to help RP-oriented outcasts. Another idea is an alternate turn-in for the Vallaki item quests, perhaps a black market antiques dealer.

More crafting support This, I realise, is contentious. Outcasts can't make use of the crafting facilities in Vallaki, or VoB. Herbalism is supported in The Drain, but I feel that others could be supported down there without breaking immersion. Tanning is a smelly, disgusting process, and would be perfectly at home in The Drain, and alchemy is suitably mad-sciency as to have a place there. This gives Outcasts a way to support one-another.

Thanks for reading, or not, I don't mind.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 06:56:02 PM by The Inquisitor »

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
Re: The Drain Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »
Good list, with a lot of valid complaints and constructive solutions. Some of these on the list I feel would be more beneficial than others, but other than affixing a priority I haven't got much commentary to add, except perhaps fiddling with the Drain banking taxes to reduce them slightly. Also as an additional thought, perhaps adding some equivalent Drain NPCs to the wandering civilians you see in cities that come out occasionally and give the areas a vibrant, lively feel. Seeing some runts come out and rummage through trash would be nice.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:44:07 PM by Grendel »

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »
So much yes to most of these, specially the room idea :3!

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 08:34:03 PM »
I actually really like that people have to go through the NPCs to get rooms, though it does suck to have to depend on a DM. :/
: )

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 08:51:29 PM »
For some of the rooms, yes, but a lot of them are unoccupied back rooms that often aren't used for anything but clandestine meetings by very occasional groups. Some of them could be made into hire-out options instead.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 04:55:07 AM »
When I first got here, the Drain was an outcast exclusive semi DM supported faction area for the Sewer Dwellers.  I say semi-supported because DMs (even back then) never found it a place interesting enough at the time it seemed to want to run with it for any real length of time. There was a faction door with a faction key and we had a fun little necklace that did some mechanical things (which I still have!). While the powers that be eventually decided to open it up to all 'shady' folks, at least during that earlier time it felt like the place had an identity and a purpose.

I can understand why they wanted to open it up for more roleplay potential but I think, for the most part, the place just hasn't been the RP magnet that they though it would be. Aside from a place for outcasts to hang their cloaks, it really doesn't have much of a purpose. The place continues to be neglected by DMs and honestly, there is no real reason for any topsider to go down there besides the occasional auction or fight, to brew potions, or for the 'thrill' of slumming it with the freaks.

If the point of making the Drain was to be more inclusive of the shady types, maybe we should take it a step further. It will foster more roleplaying potential, give the Drain a real purpose/identity, and make being an outcast less of a chore. I have a couple outcasts and I want to play them as outcasts. By this, I want them to have to play the game differently for me as a player, not make playing an outcast feel like a form of sado-masochism.

Right now the Drain is a hole in the ground with a bunch of freaks playing king of the castle. There's a bar, a merchant selling practically nothing, a quasi-medic that sells herbalist gear, and a banker charging outrageous sums to safeguard your money. This doesn't exactly foster RP or really even endear the place to anyone that doesn't NEED to be there. We need to tie the Drain to the topside and give it a bit more of a purpose. The Drain used to be known for being a den of evil cannibalistic freaks. Let's make it a den of chaos and skullduggery instead.

First, we have places like the Tigan's Rest and the 'pawn shop' in the warehouse district. Both are places shady folks go for one reason or other but rarely for actually roleplaying. I say that we have the Drain acquire one or the other and connect the Drain to it. That way there is an actual physical connection and reason for the Drain to exist (and even prosper). If you look at the history of organized crime, they almost always operated their illegal activities out of the back of a legitimate business. I think this would actually open up a lot of possibilities and options going forward.

I think the biggest improvement would be the addition of a Drain supported fence. The Drain is the most logical place to deal with stolen and illegal merchandise. It even gives them a reason to exist and an identity. Both helps foster roleplaying potential that is currently lacking.

Reasons why the fence could improve the current status quo:

1. They can support outcast/shady occupations. I've seen several occupations around Vallaki that are options for meager income: farming, mining, courier duty, working the docks, etc. The fence and the Drain can employ bookkeepers, enforcers/knee-breakers, 'gophers', and similar supporting roles to folks that are willing to take on a less savory occupation.
2. The Drain needs a storage facitlity. The fence will most assuredly have a safe place to store goods that aren't in transit. He can rent out excess space at not entirely unreasonable rates.
3. Deliveries and lost item quests are completely unavailable to outcasts despite outcasts having the possibility of coming across the missing items and abandoned delivery items. (Fishing lodge fish barrels, I'm looking at you.) Have the fence willing to pay half the value of those goods but none of the XP. Have the fence also be a backup for folks that can't deliver the found antiquities that occasionally drop as loot to the art dealer in the Port. Not everyone has a reason to go there, certain classes eventually raise OCR so high that they can't go to D'loo at all, and it even gives folks banned/wanted in the Port a way to continue to conduct some kind of business.

I'm just brainstorming here, but I think it would really start to give the Drain a rightful place in Vallaki. While it's not cannon, I think it could help give the place a purpose and an identity. It would give folks a reason to go there and stay. When some folks think of the Drain, they see the old, evil-bent Drain of the old guard. Let's make it a chaos-bent refuge of shadowy business. It makes sense for even the existing NPCs so there isn't much tweaking necessary barring the physical connection to the surface. I think this can also introduce new ways for the Drain to interact with other existing factions that could create some interesting antagonism with the Vardo and the Garda.

And on another note, yes, the Drain needs leatherworking stations. It's the one craft besides alchemy that they can't do in Barovia and yet it seems the most appropriate. Old school tanning involved brains, urine, and a lot of other stinky things. The Drain even leans towards catering to the thugs and rogues that prefer leather armor.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 05:28:09 AM »
We're currently planning delivery quests for outcast characters in the near future.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 09:46:24 AM »
We're currently planning delivery quests for outcast characters in the near future.

Thank the gods!!!!

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 04:09:22 PM »
I remember someone mentioned the idea of allowing outcasts to roam around parts of the slums, but I wasn't sure how we could implement that properly so shady or run down places could be reached easier like Tigan's, the Wound, even the Nymph or Drowned Rat without worry about NPCs freaking out.

I agree with ethinos on having a fence would be pretty nice. There's one in Vallaki, but the surface isn't friendly to outcasts to even reach him. Regarding the option to rent out rooms, would be neat to do it similar to the Tenements. There's plenty of neat areas to have secret meetings in and around Vallaki, but some secure privacy is something that's always desirable.
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »
I remember someone mentioned the idea of allowing outcasts to roam around parts of the slums, but I wasn't sure how we could implement that properly so shady or run down places could be reached easier like Tigan's, the Wound, even the Nymph or Drowned Rat without worry about NPCs freaking out.

I agree with ethinos on having a fence would be pretty nice. There's one in Vallaki, but the surface isn't friendly to outcasts to even reach him. Regarding the option to rent out rooms, would be neat to do it similar to the Tenements. There's plenty of neat areas to have secret meetings in and around Vallaki, but some secure privacy is something that's always desirable.

Trap doors leading from the sewers to various shady locations would be nice. I doubt the Nymph would have it though.
: )

Sewerfish

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 02:35:47 AM »
To allow drain PCs to survive without going to sanctuary.

Cure disease
Raise dead

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 03:55:31 AM »
The herbalist cauldron has been really cool is there any chance of us getting applicable crafting options down there? Obviously not smithing or alchemy or anything unfitting but maybe leather working?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
Fix the Shady Peoples' Cloaks They appear to be equipped with default Cloaks of Elvenkind. These cloaks, whilst nice on their own, look horrible with their nice shady black leather.

I'll fix those in my next update; they'll have black cloaks instead.

Storage The Drain has a banker (which is great), but no player item storage. Outcasts can use the Port-a-Lucine bank to store items, but honestly that makes very little sense. Giving Outcasts somewhere to store items would be a great benefit.

The banker will offer storage in the next update.

More shopping options The Drain merchant inventory could use updating. We have lots of new RP items that are available elsewhere like general stores and the Mist Camp. If the merchant down there sold things as simple as paper and quills, candles and bedrolls, it'd be a big help.

I'll add more items to Crawler's store (candles, quills, paper, etc.).

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 01:09:34 PM »
<3 U EO

Sewerfish

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 05:39:41 PM »
Awesome!

rapsam2003