You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Wizard spell questions  (Read 3520 times)

Tasslehoff Burrfoot

• New to the Mists
Wizard spell questions
« on: November 10, 2016, 03:57:43 PM »
Hi, I'm intending to join the server when I'm not working (work on a boat a month at a time). I used to enjoy playing gnome illusionists and rogue classes. I've been speaking to a number of people, thx to you guys by the way, and one of them showed me the wiki on spells and feats and such. I'm very impressed with this server! One of the things I noticed however was mass blindness/deafness is now a necromancy spell! In my opinion they already have enough spells to play with. It used to be one of my favorite spells as an illusionist. However I've noticed some pretty awesome spells greatly improved like weird! I prefer to play classes rarely played and if me talking about it draws people to that class then I'll be deeply saddened. I'm very curious what the most popular class is on the server and most common strategy used in PvP as well as PVE. I want to be completely ready when I finally make my step into the server. My wife has never played before so I'd like some ideas for a simple class... Paladin maybe? I am very excited to soon be a part of such a great group of people. I am so excited to see the little heaven y'all have!

Indigocell

• Undead Slayer
Re: Wizard spell questions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 05:57:11 PM »
I would say that, for a beginner, Paladin might be a difficult choice. They're a very strict class that generally has to be roleplayed a certain way depending on their deity. You have a little less freedom to play them however you want, otherwise you lose access to special Paladin privileges. That said, Paladin's are a good class to play given the amount of Undead and evil enemies you will face on this server, you will definitely have an advantage there. Fighter is probably the most simple class, but they are limited in how much they can develop unless you intend to multiclass.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the most popular class is on this server. If I had to say, I would guess maybe Clerics (powerful class with healing and buff spells, versatile in combat)? As for least popular, I would say probably Monks (very difficult to level early on, somewhat strict roleplay limits, very fast/powerful in the high levels).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:59:52 PM by Indigocell »

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 05:58:56 PM »
Most popular class on the server is any variation of rogue. Clerics are very popular, fighters are popular, bards are popular.

The easiest class to play would probably be like a barbarian.
: )

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 06:06:51 PM »
All classes are not exactly straightforward on PotM given that most PvE is quite tough. Paladins are actually probably one of the easier PvE classes to play given their early access to Blessed Weapon and the power of Divine Might/Shield.

Wizards are strong, so not uncommon. They're definitely popular for PvE as their sheer flexibility enables them to prepare their party for practically any equivalent-level threat. You should play what you enjoy, in any case.

As for PvP... the number 1 rule is knowing to choose your battles. :P but the recent (justified) nerfing of Time Stop has brought Wizards  down a peg or two.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:28:27 PM by aprogressivist »
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Tasslehoff Burrfoot

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
Sounds exciting! Have y'all seen any gnome illusionists? I try very hard to be original. Whenever I play and see someone else with the same build it tempts me to delete my character and start over. Yeah... I know, that's extreme but I very much enjoy expressing builds I've studied and built on my level up world for practice. As far as wizards I enjoy seeking out the highest DC spells I can get. I remember on one server I dominated a shifter that would shift into an undead guy and made him attack his friends. It was pretty awesome.

Tasslehoff Burrfoot

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 10:26:33 PM »
That was done with the control undead spell. Works on players if they shift into anything undead and you have full control over them like a summon!

Tasslehoff Burrfoot

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 10:36:07 PM »
I'm sure y'all can imagine the excitement of returning to NWN. I am PUMPED! I used to play as a halfling rogue on a server called Circus Maximus. I used to love trolling people. Picking pockets pissing people off so they'd chase me into preset traps. But... Now I'm married and my wife won't let me act like an asshole anymore.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 01:49:16 AM »
Sounds exciting! Have y'all seen any gnome illusionists? I try very hard to be original. Whenever I play and see someone else with the same build it tempts me to delete my character and start over. Yeah... I know, that's extreme but I very much enjoy expressing builds I've studied and built on my level up world for practice. As far as wizards I enjoy seeking out the highest DC spells I can get. I remember on one server I dominated a shifter that would shift into an undead guy and made him attack his friends. It was pretty awesome.

I have a gnome illusionist. It's fairly common I would imagine since gnomes start with illusion focus.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »
I'm sure y'all can imagine the excitement of returning to NWN. I am PUMPED! I used to play as a halfling rogue on a server called Circus Maximus. I used to love trolling people. Picking pockets pissing people off so they'd chase me into preset traps. But... Now I'm married and my wife won't let me act like an asshole anymore.

Funny you say this since PP falls under PVP rules so you have to hostile the player if you're just going to use the skill otherwise it is generally RPed out Also traps are useful but be careful since if it kills a player they can grow frustrated.

especially if it badly impairs a body. [ rubs neck] Yeah....can never express how sorry I was they died not seeing it. also rules regarding traps but that can be spoke of at other times if you like to know.

I'll say play what you want to play. many classes can be really good. and PrCs can make them even better sometimes. most cross class rogue classes for versatility and survivability. Fighter is a good class, Barbarians just got some love with the last big hak update.

Just play what you want and see how it goes. :)

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Tasslehoff Burrfoot

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 12:48:22 PM »

I have a gnome illusionist. It's fairly common I would imagine since gnomes start with illusion focus.

This saddeneds me. It used to be one of the rarest classes because most people didn't understand the school of illusion. Oh well, I may still have a few tricks up my sleeve.

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 02:32:59 PM »
I'll be frank. Unless I'm overstepping some boundaries and presuming too much, you're forgetting this is a roleplay server. Yes, builds are important, but PvP is very rare on this server until you get up into the higher levels where you've - because of past roleplay - made enemies for yourself. It seems like you're putting way too much emphasis on PvP and ignoring that this is a roleplay server.

With that said, there are almost no gnomes on the server.

Tasslehoff Burrfoot

• New to the Mists
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »
That's great! Yes I understand it's a role playing server and I'm much better at it than you may think. However I naturally have an extremely competitive streak and I often butt heads with people and make enemies very soon. Eventually it becomes a love/hate relationship as people realize I'm never going to change lol.
   What I love more than anything in NWN however is the closeness you get to people you meet in game and group together with. Everyone changes a little bit when they get on this game or based on what character their playing. This is the best game out there guys... I don't know if y'all realize how good y'all guys have it on this server... seriously. There's no games out there like NWN and there's practically no servers on NWN that care as much about balance and have the amount of players it has. I can't hide my excitement.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 03:48:23 PM »
Did you allready find out about all our different subraces? There might be some lesser played options there.

Some do require aproval up front.

Building out off the mists

Tasslehoff Burrfoot

• New to the Mists
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »
Did you allready find out about all our different subraces? There might be some lesser played options there.

Some do require aproval up front.

I haven't looked into the subraces yet. I've read some of the changes done to spells and such. There's a ton of stuff I don't know yet. Right now I read a little when I can. I am soaking up what y'all say like a sponge.