You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Cannot Connect  (Read 1272 times)

Song of Danta

Cannot Connect
« on: October 29, 2016, 06:57:01 AM »
All of a sudden, my laptop will not allow me to connect to PotM. Between when I last played and this issue began, the laptop had been off, and thus, no configuration had been altered.

System is a Lenovo Yoga 2 with Windows 8.1.

Please read carefully the steps I have taken:

Reset the computer.
Reset the Wi-Fi adapter on laptop.
Reset the modem/router.
Flushed DNS.

Attempted to release and renew IP, which produced an error:
Code: [Select]
The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.
I used:
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log...then reset the computer, and tried to release/renew IP again. Same error message.

When I try to change the TCP/IP settings in network connections, it tells me I must 'install and enable a network adapter card'.

I used the device manager to update the ethernet adapter and Dual Band Wireless adapter.

Still no love, still can't connect. To the best of my knowledge, it's not a pebcak.

I have no idea what happened, or what is happening, since nothing has changed. I can still access everything else internet-related, but I can not log on to NWN. The IP in my direct connect file is still correct.

Help.

EDIT: I will add... my desktop was having the same issue, but following a router reset, it was then fine. That system is Windows 7, and also connected to the internet wirelessly.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 07:04:15 AM by Danta the Deplorable »

Song of Danta

Re: Cannot Connect
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:06:29 AM »
Restarting once more did the trick (even though I'd changed zilch between that and the last one), but I'd still like some insight... what could the problem have been?

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 07:09:35 AM »
It is difficult to say, could you connect to other servers or it was just an issue with POTM?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 07:13:46 AM by Aduial »

Song of Danta

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 08:03:42 AM »
Not certain - I don't use any other servers.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »
A gremlin. But based on its affecting both machines and resetting the router fixed one, a gremlin in the router.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.