Author Topic: Item Request Discussion Thread v2  (Read 5245 times)

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Item Request Discussion Thread v2
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2017, 02:22:02 PM »
Can we have craftable mauls?

It's not in the plans right now. Given that Mauls do not benefits from from the combat feats, it is usually best to have mauls with unique properties in the loot tables.
Best Regards!
MAB

Proud member of the Dev team, kindly working nights and days to bring you all more creative ways to slay all your PCs, faster and more efficiently!

Pav

• Now is the BEST time to invest in the
  • Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Probably out to ruin your day
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2017, 03:06:48 PM »
Item name: Amulet of Jealousy

Item type: Amulet

Description of the item: This once pristine amulet is now corroded and worn, a rather unimpressive sight to see.  As the legend goes, a distant desert wasteland was once home to magic users of great power.  These spellcasters, all known to be beautiful women, are said to have drawn their power from strange and powerful amulets dedicated to a goddess they served.  This particular amulet was at some point "acquired" by a cabal of male sorcerers and somehow altered to serve their own ends.  Strangely, the once vibrant green gem set in the center of the amulet now glows a dim red color.

Statistics:
Bonus Spell Slot: Sorcerer Level 1
Bonus Spell Slot: Sorcerer Level 2
Gender Limitation: Male
Light: Dim (5m) Red

Appearance: iit_neck_034

I'd remove the red color glow.
Currently Playing:
Roxanne Laurier - Elkhas Theanskyr

SingASongOfDeath

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Outlander
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2017, 05:29:22 PM »
It's meant to be a male variant of the Amulet of Isis, which has a green glow.

Also the player of Aeril Moonshadow.

noah25

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2018, 09:30:37 PM »
Is the belt of the swordsman still on the server and I just suck at finding it? I like that the damage types are dispersed among different gear sets so you can gather them all(which can be difficult but ultimately necessary given how effective it can be). Bludgeoning just seems significantly easier to find than the others, though, may be the places I am  going.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2018, 05:57:53 AM »
Is the belt of the swordsman still on the server and I just suck at finding it? I like that the damage types are dispersed among different gear sets so you can gather them all(which can be difficult but ultimately necessary given how effective it can be). Bludgeoning just seems significantly easier to find than the others, though, may be the places I am  going.

I confirm both the swordsman's belt, inertial barrier belt and Gobalski bracers have been pulled out of the treasuries. Archers and Brawler's belts remain as do the robes providing damage reductions to all 3 types of physical damage. I will consult with my fellow developers as to the exact reasons, but this was likely done on purpose. The very best item providing that slashing damage reduction does remain, but certainly requires you to travel in more dangerous areas.
Best Regards!
MAB

Proud member of the Dev team, kindly working nights and days to bring you all more creative ways to slay all your PCs, faster and more efficiently!

blastmaster

• Outlander
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2018, 06:12:16 AM »
There are three items that grant 5/- dr vs slashing. Those are archers belt, belt of inertial barrier and cloak of black rose. Was the cloak pulled away as well?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2018, 06:29:54 AM »
There are three items that grant 5/- dr vs slashing. Those are archers belt, belt of inertial barrier and cloak of black rose. Was the cloak pulled away as well?

My post was quite explicit. Only the 3 items I mentioned were removed as far as I know.
Best Regards!
MAB

noah25

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »
good to know, thanks MAB :)

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2018, 09:47:58 PM »
Actually after verification, the Belt of Inertial Barrier is still in the treasuries, and it appears the Swordsman belt was removed by mistake. It will be reintroduced shortly.
Best Regards!
MAB

aprogressivist

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2018, 10:07:12 PM »
Actually after verification, the Belt of Inertial Barrier is still in the treasuries, and it appears the Swordsman belt was removed by mistake. It will be reintroduced shortly.

And Gobalski Bracers, are they still in, deliberately removed, or accidentally removed? Just to ask...

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2018, 12:59:35 AM »
Thanks for the latest suggestions Dumas.

Regarding the Belt of Grasping Ivy:

I am always reticent about adding new items granting spell slots for numerous reasons. Foremost being balancing issues. Compared to charged items, a free spell of your choice, every day, is a hundred time more useful, but benefits only a single casting class. Consider too that any item that freely gives a spell slot of the highest spell level a particular class can cast, Ranger in this case, is way too powerful. This opens the possibility of having level 4 rangers casting spells they ought only cast as of level 14th. I speak only for myself here, but I do not want to see that in game.

As for druids, I can definitively attest the very last thing they need is yet again an item granting spells slots. My own druid currently has 6 bonus spells slots with his equipped item, 2x 2nd level, 2x 3rd level and 2x 7th level and I could get more by using different robes. I have been able to use the 3rd and 7th level spells before I could actually cast them on my own and that made a world of difference. Your proposal would add a 4th level spell slot on top of that. It's too much.

I would consider a variation of this item as an Amulet to offer an alternative to Hunta's Guardian.

Bonus Spell Slot of Level : Druid [Level 3]
Bonus Spell Slot of Level : Ranger [Level 3]
Decreased Saving Throws : Fire [-4]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Concentration [-4]
[Some other bonus TBD, to raise the cost to a level similar to that of the Hunta's Guardian]
Use Limitation: Class : Druid
Use Limitation Class : Ranger
Material [Wicker]

This way at least, it would provide options to the players without increasing the number (and level) of bonus spell slots they can already reach.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dumas

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »
Thanks for the latest suggestions Dumas.

Regarding the Belt of Grasping Ivy:

I am always reticent about adding new items granting spell slots for numerous reasons. Foremost being balancing issues. Compared to charged items, a free spell of your choice, every day, is a hundred time more useful, but benefits only a single casting class. Consider too that any item that freely gives a spell slot of the highest spell level a particular class can cast, Ranger in this case, is way too powerful. This opens the possibility of having level 4 rangers casting spells they ought only cast as of level 14th. I speak only for myself here, but I do not want to see that in game.

As for druids, I can definitively attest the very last thing they need is yet again an item granting spells slots. My own druid currently has 6 bonus spells slots with his equipped item, 2x 2nd level, 2x 3rd level and 2x 7th level and I could get more by using different robes. I have been able to use the 3rd and 7th level spells before I could actually cast them on my own and that made a world of difference. Your proposal would add a 4th level spell slot on top of that. It's too much.

I would consider a variation of this item as an Amulet to offer an alternative to Hunta's Guardian.

Bonus Spell Slot of Level : Druid [Level 3]
Bonus Spell Slot of Level : Ranger [Level 3]
Decreased Saving Throws : Fire [-4]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Concentration [-4]
[Some other bonus TBD, to raise the cost to a level similar to that of the Hunta's Guardian]
Use Limitation: Class : Druid
Use Limitation Class : Ranger
Material [Wicker]

This way at least, it would provide options to the players without increasing the number (and level) of bonus spell slots they can already reach.

Thanks for the advice MAB. Didn't realize there were so many druid spell bonus items already, and I can see that it would throw balance off to offer any more slots.. especially for rangers that manage to get a hold of one of these outside the level where they'd normally get access to those spells. As such, I've followed your suggestions, and modified the item on the Request Thread into a necklace instead. Went with damage resistance to slashing for an additional bonus, as it makes sense with the story I wrote for it. That puts it pretty close to the cost of Hunta's Guardian.

Jerome de La Salle

Stygian Messiah

• AKA Kalashnikov33
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
Item Name: Spiderweave Vest

Item Type: Medium Armor

Statistics:
AC Bonus [+2]
Skill Bonus : Move Silently [+3]
Immunity : Specific Spell [Web]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Disable Trap[-5]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Open Lock [-5]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Set Trap [-5]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Pick Pocket [-5]
Material [Silk]

Medium armor makes the MS bonus +1 or nil, and the negatives down to -7 or -8

If this piece is catered to rogue or rogue based, web immunity isn't a strong enough selling point. The web immunity gives the item an artificial inflation value, which will clog a loot node from spawning something that might actually be used.

But I checked with Vistani Rapid Pawn LLC, and they can't wait.
A war refugee sought the Master. He said, "You are wise and serene. Teach me to escape the horrors of this world." And the Master blinded him with fire-irons. - The Book of Cataclysm

Dumas

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2018, 09:47:17 PM »
Hmmm.. yeah, I failed to realize that medium armor would give penalties on top of the negatives. Did some messing around with the stats, and changed the description a bit to reflect. Scrapped the web immunity, upped the AC by 1, as well as added penalties to Heal because it needs nimble hand movements, and added reflex, to reflect better movement from its light weight.

Intending for a good Rogue usable protective armor if they choose it, but at the sacrifice of their common skills. Perhaps suitable for a druid as well, due to their oaths against metal.

Made the updates on the Request thread.

Jerome de La Salle

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2018, 11:13:59 PM »
A few comments on some of your suggestions Nem.

1) Pain’s Last Kiss
The On Hit cast Spell property is always to be avoided like the plague. Some builds can reach a very high number of attacks per round, and you give them the possibility to "cast" that spell that same amount of time per rounds. Unbalanced versus casters that can still cast only one spell a round and definitively not too good for server performance issues.

2) Witch Seeker
The dreaded flaming whip of the Chaotic Good Tepestani inquisition would be useable by evil only? I think not. I also think the focus of the whip should not be so much Evil creatures, but Fey and Elves.

3) Rippenspalter (and anything else with negative ability score adjustments)

I am not a fan of decreased ability scores properties on items as they are too easy to circumvent. They do however have the advantage of lowering an item cost and that increases the chance of seeing the weapon drop, so I am willing to accept a few now and then. But I must be very clear here that I do not wish that to become a trend to lower an item's cost so keep it to a minimum. And of those I would accept, never in a dump stat like Charisma. I suggest you replace most of those penalties by a different kind.

4) Fate of Traitors

You'll be happy to learn that EO has just changed the Weight Increase property so it affects pricing. This one would thus cost a bit less than 4534 gp. But 75% DC 16 stun on a somewhat popular weapon like a greataxe that is easily buffed with spells and/or varnish, that's too powerful. I'd go for 25% DC 14/ 1 round at most.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:15:44 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Nemesis 24

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Master
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2018, 11:34:32 PM »
I thought I'd adjusted the witch seeker with regards to its evil alignment restriction - I guess not!

In regards to the stat drops - yes, they're dump stats, but they do preclude the cost reaching an overly high level.  They're more in line with things like the Imaskari blade - and having stats dropped down that won't -overly- affect the users of the weapon (except in certain case scenarios).  If more useful stats are dropped - strength, dexterity, or con scores - then these weapons are going to be ending up on the useless dump pile, and won't be used.  I'd hope to avoid that.

bocian

• Outlander
  • Noram
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2018, 12:04:57 PM »
How about giving these whips improved disarm, since default one is given to everyone?
I'd also consider adding some more bonuses to them, because I'm yet to see a character that successfully uses a whip in combat.
"There is sobbing of the strong,
And a pall upon the land;
But the People in their weeping
Bare the iron hand:
Beware the People weeping
When they bare the iron hand."

Herman Melville, "The Martyr"

Nemesis 24

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Master
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2018, 01:36:34 PM »
With regards to making some items cheaper and such like, and creating some 1000 to 2000 gold items to 'fill in the gaps'.  Unfortunately I cannot quite see the point due to crafted gear.

If we go off the item creation and the costing associated, lets look at the following-

Crafted steel longsword with silver guilding, crafted steel bastard sword with silver guilding, crafted steel greatsword with silver guilding.

The Longsword costs (with +1 vs shapechanger, 1d4 slashing)- 2494

Bastard Sword (with +1 vs shapechanger, 1d6 slashing) - 4936

Greatsword (with +1 vs shapechanger, 1d8 slashing) - 10772

As can be shown, the increase is nothing short of exponential when it comes to the greatsword.  The increased slashing makes that much of a difference, perhaps leading to the dearth of useable greatswords.

The point of this is, however, is to establish a baseline.  If crafted weapons are worth this much, then the lootable items should, at least in some cases, be approaching similar value.

The reasoning behind this being that enchanted items are and will be top tier, always.  An enchanted steel electrum guilded longsword is worth 47268.  An adamantium platinum guilded greatsword is worth a staggering 196912.  There is no gear that can compete with that and rightly so.

But there 'should' be gear that competes with crafted gear.  That means the baseline for a greatsword should be at *least* 7700, for that's what a greatsword with 1d8 slashing costs.  Crafted gear is cheaper, readily available without having to look for it, and on request.  But finding a weapon that is an actual viable alternative should be possible.

We have a lot of trash loot in the table that is objectively worthless.  Possibly useful to a level 2, but by level 4 its more than conceivable to find crafted gear, and after that, there is nothing valuable until that item is enchanted at level 14 or higher.  If there is to be something that fills that in between gap, it needs to be -

1.  General purpose, not niche
2.  Have a value using the crafted item value as a baseline, within a reasonable limit
3.  Not have maluses that make it useless in a state of general purpose.

1000 to 2000 gold items are, however as shown by the cost comparison, nearly worthless at present.  I've managed to make a *few* minor ones, but they are likely going to beaten by a crafted equivalent.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:53:09 PM by Nemesis 24 »