Author Topic: Item Request Discussion Thread v2  (Read 2167 times)

Iluvatar

• Mad
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • I'm one of Strahd's subjects
Re: Item Request Discussion Thread v2
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2017, 10:24:21 PM »
Item Name: Slab

Item Type: Greatsword

Description: This isn't a weapon: It's a mockery of craftmanship. The 'blade'', if it can be called that, looks like someone grabbed a large slab of iron and hammered it vaguely into the shape of a sword. The only remarkable aspect of this thing is that the Slab doesn't fall apart under it's sheer weight.  A fluke or some unknown genius forging technique, who can tell?

Regardless, the improperly heavy blade's edge is dull, though a hit from this 'sword' would  admittedly still hurt like all hells. But it's greatest strength is also it's greatest weakness : Only the strongest warriors could hope to lift this thing, let alone wield it.

Statistics:

Advantages:
-Damage Bonus Bludgeoning [2d8]
-Extra Damage Type [Bludgeoning]
-Material [Iron]

Disadvantages:
-Decreased Dexterity [-2]
-Decreased AC Dodge [-2]
-Decreased Skill Parry [-4]
-Decreased Skill Tumble [-4]
-Weight Increase [30 lbs]

Item Cost : 6298

Appearance:

Top : 7 [Color 1]
Middle : 7 [Color 1]
Bottom : 25 [Color 1]

The only thing I don't like with an item like that is that with so many negative, I don't think anyone would be ready to use a sword like or even carry it with that 30lbs extra weight.

I do not dislike the concept of the blade though, remove a few negative, remove the

and lower the extra damage to 1d8 instead.

As it is right now, I don't see anyone willing to lose almost 4-5AC and add 30lbs weight to use a greatsword like this.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:06:47 PM by Iluvatar »

~ Iluvatar / Iluvatar-2 / Iluvatar NCE

MrSmiley

• New to the Mists
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2017, 10:59:01 PM »
I like the idea of having a greatsword that can cause bludgeoning damage, with so many undead in the server it'd fill a good niché and be immensely useful nearly just from that quality alone. Obviously it'll require tweaking with negative aspects, and positive ones.

Arthur Freshwater - Helmite layman/Party animal

Philos

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2017, 11:40:10 PM »
One thing to remember is that the AC bonus from tumble uses BASE skill ranks, i.e what you invest at level up. Lowering the skill through items or stat penalties will not actually decrease the AC you receive from the tumble skill.

Iluvatar

• Mad
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2017, 12:26:24 AM »
You would still lose around 4 AC depending on your build and that's not something someone using a greatsword can spare, 4 AC is a lot. It's the difference between life and death in many many situation.

When making items, we should try to make items that people will actually want to use despite the negative on them. Adding items that no one will use because of to important negative doesn't serve any purpose, they could be replace by coins since they'll be sold anyway and just make finding suitable piece of gear much harder. I've seen many nice concept of items, but many also have so many negative that there is no way I would want to use them. My advice is remove some advantage of the items instead of adding too many negative. And sometime, yeah an item will simply be op and some items need to be, not every items needs negative on them.

Ken14

• New to the Mists
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2017, 02:31:24 AM »
Item Name: Slab

Item Type: Greatsword

Description: This isn't a weapon: It's a mockery of craftmanship. The 'blade'', if it can be called that, looks like someone grabbed a large slab of iron and hammered it vaguely into the shape of a sword. The only remarkable aspect of this thing is that the Slab doesn't fall apart under it's sheer weight.  A fluke or some unknown genius forging technique, who can tell?

Regardless, the improperly heavy blade's edge is dull, though a hit from this 'sword' would  admittedly still hurt like all hells. But it's greatest strength is also it's greatest weakness : Only the strongest warriors could hope to lift this thing, let alone wield it.

Statistics:

Advantages:
-Damage Bonus Bludgeoning [2d8]
-Material [Iron]

Disadvantages:
-Decreased Dexterity [-2]
-Decreased AC Dodge [-2]
-Decreased Skill Parry [-4]
-Decreased Skill Tumble [-4]
-Weight Increase [30 lbs]

Item Cost : 6298

Appearance:

Top : 7 [Color 1]
Middle : 7 [Color 1]
Bottom : 25 [Color 1]

The only thing I don't like with an item like that is that with so many negative, I don't think anyone would be ready to use a sword like or even carry it with that 30lbs extra weight.

I do not dislike the concept of the blade though, remove a few negative, remove the

and lower the extra damage to 1d8 instead.

As it is right now, I don't see anyone willing to lose almost 4-5AC and add 30lbs weight to use a greatsword like this.

Okay, I reworked the sword with this notion in mind : The sword should be so heavy that it impairs your ability to move. I was wary of lowering the damage to 1d8, because that's just the damage increase of an average steel greatsword.

However, I realized rather quickly that this is bludgeoning damage, so any spell or item that grants enhancement would add slashing damage on top of the 1d8 increase, which makes it viable even in cases not related to the undead.

Per negatives :
Losing so much AC would be catastrophic, true. A decrease in tumble is still viable : can't exactly run with a 45 pound sword. And a decrease in tumble does not remove AC.

I've also added a decreased saving throw for reflex, and removed all the other negative/positives. This way, no AC loss is made, but you'd still be impaired in the ways of agility.

See the Item request thread for the specifics!

Iluvatar

• Mad
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
I personally think it is much better like that! If I found a sword like that right now, I might be ready to use it! :)

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
Hanged Man's Boots
Boots
Top 4/2
Middle 4/3
Bottom 2/7
Bonus Feat: Evasion
Decreased Saving Throws: Death -3
Use Limitation Alignment Group Chaotic

In many places, the boots of a man condemned to hanging are claimed by the man that ties the noose.
These boots once belonged to such a man; a canny thief who's luck eventually ran out. These boots grant some of that thief's preternatural adroitness, but any who wear them is surely marked for death.

I consider Evasion to be the strongest feat, even stronger than Improved Evasion because of the lower requirements, and I know I am not alone in this. I think it is too strong a feat to be on an item, especially with just a penalty that is situational and can easily be nullified with a Death Ward spell. I also think it is a bad idea to lock such a strong feat behind a specific alignment, if it must be added to the game as an item. Overall though, I would change the evasion feat to increased reflex saves, or possibly to the Defensive Roll feat.

Fearghas

• Outlander
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2017, 01:16:43 PM »
Seconded. This would be like giving weapon specialization on an item. It's something people take rogue specifically for or ranger etc. This is a key ability to classes and should likely not be given on an item. Just my personal view.

Added reflex makes sense though. Personally I don't think any of the rogue special feats should  be something given by items.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:13:05 PM by Azcath »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »
Seems to me someone was in a Falkovnian-Oktoberfest mood today. I like those beers very much, but maybe we should have varieties from various domains and use them further to disseminate more info about the rest of the Core?
Best Regards!
MAB

Proud member of the Dev team, kindly working nights and days to bring you all more creative ways to slay all your PCs, faster and more efficiently!

The Inquisitor

• Monstrous
  • Dark Lord
  • I can do no wrong, for I know not what it is.
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2017, 02:34:18 AM »
Hi!
This thread is not for asking for unique items. It is for discussing submissions to the loot table on the Item Request Thread.

You'd be better off moving this to Generic Requests