You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Whips  (Read 4414 times)

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
Whips
« on: October 01, 2016, 12:17:02 AM »
I dunno if many notice but we dont have models for crafting whips. Do we even have a a formula system in doing that? I have a few simple ideas like a weapon hilt + boiled learher to make standards or add metal for a xhain whip item. Not going to go to detail but I think this would an awesome addition to equipment especially since you rarely find whip items in game.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

Winter

• Undead Master
Re: Whips
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 03:39:27 AM »
chains and whips excite me

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 05:07:24 AM »
. _. Ookay

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 08:21:23 AM »
there are a selection of whips in game. Best place to get them the curiosities from abroad in vallaki. There are like four chain whip varrients. Asides from that, there is the hellish whip, assassins whip, snake bite.. and a few others
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the devs didn't make this a priority. Whips are the worst weapons in the game, so most likely you're using them for roleplay. I'd say just stick with the standard whips that ladylena mentioned.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 08:58:04 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the devs didn't make this a priority. Whips are the worst weapons in the game, so most likely you're using them for roleplay. I'd say just stick with the standard whips that ladylena mentioned.

Honestly if we're gonna get whips i'd like club, quarterstaves, and all the other various non-supported craftful things which are either bugged or the like for some reason for ages to get added/fixed

Janarah

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »
Actually, the templates for crafting them are around. The whip template and club template are sold in hazlan, they don't work, but they are sold there. Quarterstaff templates are sold in dervigshiem and vob, they don't currently work either. It's something in progress I imagine.
But the whip template has been in hazlan, for sale in that crafting hub for over two years now. I brought it up way back then, so, maybe it's fixed, maybe not.
"Life is full of mysteries, why can I not be one myself?"
~Nightwolf
Current: Rabbit/ Kalis
Shelved mostly: Sudhri / Atlantia / Radriel/ Herophile Sybil/ Lliannia/ Belia
Closured (dead or other): Marius/ Calous/ Ellana/ Radu/ Ania/ Anica/ Olath

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 01:33:32 PM »
I hope a sling template is coming to!
Merrum Twind: Sticking his nose where it doesn't belong for the greater good!
Ragnhild “the Snarling” Snarrigson: (aspirant) Shield of Dvergehiem.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 10:06:19 AM »
Oh. Didnt know that. Another noob question is there even a way to add alchemical to the material list instead of uaing essences to whips? Or any craftable item? Heard hearsay but jever confirmed.

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 11:09:07 AM »
Oh. Didnt know that. Another noob question is there even a way to add alchemical to the material list instead of uaing essences to whips? Or any craftable item? Heard hearsay but jever confirmed.

Are you asking if you can apply alchemical reagents during the crafting process of a weapon, so it'll permanently have a damage property like 1d4 cold damage?

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »
Could do it like:
- Lesser varnish gives +1 to energy damage.
- Strong varnish gives +2 to energy damage.
- Greater varnish gives 1d4 to energy damage.

When you craft them or gild them or however.
"What is a day, without  a blessed night?
And what is peace, without a blessed fight?"

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »
That'd be an interesting way to fill the gap between full steel and enchanted gear.

dazza555

• Undead Master
  • Calibardbarian
    • http://morningstarani.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »
Might be woefully overpowered however. Especially if you can still apply varnishes to the weapon.

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 06:09:26 PM »
Might be woefully overpowered however. Especially if you can still apply varnishes to the weapon.

1d4 is as strong as mage's flame weapon spell.
1d6 is what clerics get with fire.
1d6 you can get ice with a mage.
1d6 sonic you can get with a bard.

This would help non-casters to fill the gap.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 06:24:33 PM »
The issue is that it would stack with varnishes and spells...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 06:32:26 PM »

Then an obvious solution would be to make it so you can only have one temporary bonus that's elemental damage.

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 06:52:24 PM »

Then an obvious solution would be to make it so you can only have one temporary bonus that's elemental damage.

Issue with NWN itself. Also, it would make the elemental damage weapons that exist out in the world currently pretty useless.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 07:11:32 PM »
It might be interesting to allow enchanted weapons to be imbued with an element rather than positive energy, but that would be a voluntary downgrade. Aside from that, I see no compelling reason to make weapons even more powerful. Varnishes themselves "fill the gap" between caster and non-caster, and if you want the bonus for free you can party with someone.

TheFury

• Undead Slayer
  • "As you can see, Drew is the server bully."-Deceit
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 08:12:54 PM »
The best argument I could see for powering up whips would be to give them Improved Disarm as a bonus feat, considering everyone on this server already has normal disarm by default. That could easily mess up balance though.
Get yourself a weapon that spits unending fire.
Discord Info: Kaithas#7352
Inactive. PM me for Trentor Atiens.
Happy Ending Offenders: Famorra Arendayel, Kymil Lornenil.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 08:42:45 PM »
We're aware of the lack of crafting for these, and we do plan on implementing it. It will take a fair bit of work because right now leather and wood are only used to make defensive items. We'll have to come up with suitable offensive bonuses for these materials before we can implement the system.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

booksarefun666

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 05:17:47 AM »
If it's possible to make whips that do various elemental damage they'd be a pretty solid side-arm to keep around since it's only one or two pounds. If given the right stats, I'm sure it wouldn't be pushed into obscurity.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 08:01:17 PM »
I love this convo you guys make me happy. But yah the alchemical question was pretty ansewered. And Im not certain but elements dont stack I think. I tried this before with a varnish and casting darkfire and th next temporary dmg overrides. As for permenant elements you can stack a single type of varnish or spell but not multiple. I think  script prevents but not certain. I know maybe something lower like a d2? Or maybe depending on regeants rather than varnishes?

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 12:08:57 PM »
I love this convo you guys make me happy. But yah the alchemical question was pretty ansewered. And Im not certain but elements dont stack I think. I tried this before with a varnish and casting darkfire and th next temporary dmg overrides. As for permenant elements you can stack a single type of varnish or spell but not multiple. I think  script prevents but not certain. I know maybe something lower like a d2? Or maybe depending on regeants rather than varnishes?

Two similar elemental damage types do not stack (e.g. fire + fire). You can only have one temporary damage type, so no varnish + darkfire.