Author Topic: Night of the Walking Dead  (Read 2229 times)

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Night of the Walking Dead
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:56:45 AM »
So... my nephew is turning 18 soon, and surprise, what he asks for is for a D&D game! (Who am I to judge.)

I actually have a whole day of fun planned for him and his friends:
1) An axe throwing competition. Yes, we have an axe throwing range in Montreal.

2) A feast at the "Auberge du Dragon Rouge" (Red Dragon Inn), a medieval inspired restaurant you MUST visit if you ever visit us. Adventurous fools with a death wish will want to have a shot of "Dragon Blood" (Whisky, Goldschläger, Tabasco, served hot), or, as is more often the custom, buy them for others. I, obviously, will be immuned by virtue of being designated driver. My nephew is not.  :devil:

3) The hapless victims fall into the Lands of the Mist of course. I was thinking to run the "Night of the Walking Dead" module. Always a good entry point for Ravenloft.

I was just wondering if any of you had ever attempted to convert the module to Pathfinder rules, and if would you have suggestions how to improve the module based on your own past experiences.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
Re: Night of the Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 11:41:07 AM »
I'm going to Montreal for 3 days next month. Where do you go axe throwing? What stuff do you recommend as being worth seeing? I'm definitely making note of the Auberge du Dragon Rouge!

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 12:12:47 PM »
I never ran it for pathfimder but i did for 3.5. In many ways that module is all about environment and Building up a creepy feeling in the players. Luc (i think thats the name) following them around can be really creepy etc.

I found plenty of ways to Spice up the encounters by looking åt the Big vad guys abilities and just shifting dc's and hp and such to pathfimder apropariate ones. In general pathfimder characters are more powerfull.

Don't be afraid of throwing in more monsters for actual encounters. That Said. If the players get engaged they Åre going to love the creepy and atmospheric feeling.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 01:26:54 PM »
Thanks Daboomer, I'll keep that in mind. Creepy atmosphere is certainly what I am going for. Though ironically, I did ran Night of the Walking Dead roughly about 18 years ago. It turned into a wild hilarious night, remembered by my friends as the "Night of the Walking Fumbles". A string of fumbles from either sides (PCs & NPCs) set the tone for the whole night, but the roleplay turned out awesome nonetheless. A big fail on the gothic atmosphere, and yet one of the few game night vividly remembered by player (that one, and the time I had a laughing Strahd hurling fireballs at them with a wand as they attempted to reach a portal atop the Castle's living tower, while being attacked by a spider golem. That time, the fear factor was just right.)

To Norture.

That of course depends on your preferences and whatever time you've got.

If your into sceneries, the Mount-Royal park is always beautiful at this time of the year and you can get a nice view of the city at the Mount's Belvedere.

The Botanical Garden offers their "Gardens of Light" exhibition: chinese and japanese lanterns. Though its best seen past sundown for obvious reasons, the gardens are right beside the "Biodôme" and the Insectarium, so you can pass a whole day in the neighborhood regardless. As it happens, it is also next to our most infamous & overpaid ruin, the Olympic Stadium. Apparently it is a popular tourist attraction, though we Montrealers just can't understand why. It is a signature building I suppose, but a ruin nonetheless.

In old Montreal, by the docks, you'll have a series of great restaurants on, and around, St-Paul street and the Jacques-Cartier place. It is an historical area of the town, with many nice buildings from the 19th century. You will also find in the neighborhood, the Pointe-ā-Caličre Museum (aka the Montreal Museum of Archaeology and History). It presents an exhibit called "Of Horses and Men" until October 16th, but they also have a permanent exhibition on Montreal's history. If museums are your things, let me know I'll give you a more complete rundown of what you can find in Montreal, but if you only have one to visit, this one should be your first stop.

For the nightlife, you can't go wrong with bar hopping on Crescent Avenue or Saint-Catherine boulevard.

If your into sports, you can catch a Habs game at the Bell Centre, or any sports bar downtown, the ambiance is always crazy. We are passionate about our hockey team and we should have a much stronger team this year. Don't show up with a Toronto Maple Leafs or Boston Bruins shirt (hated foes). There is also the Impact FC, at the Saputo stadium (also right next to Godzilla's toilet seat: the Olympic Stadium), but the team is not doing so well right now.

If you have other particular interests let me know, I'll direct you to the right addresses.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:09:49 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 01:28:04 PM »
Oh and for the axe throwing: http://maniax.ca/en/
Their tag line: It’s like darts, but a hundred times more awesome.

There is also an indoor paintball and karting place not too far from there. But that's less awesome than axe throwing.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:31:05 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
A good refrence is Heroes of Horror you can find this via psf and is  useful tool for running Ravenloft ar 3.5  pdf of Mistfinder is the closest to using Pathfinder rule sets to Ravenloft. You can also utilize the Modules in Heroes of Horror which are low level easy one shots. Though I personally recommend the one Shot in there called "On the way to Grandma's House." All depends how you story tell it and majority is already prebuild.

Though when you said D&D game I thought video game and highly recommend Dungeons and Dragons Collection on the PS3/4 And Xbox network its an old Capcom Beatem up but plays up to 4 people on screen and was fairly descent adaptation to AD & D at the time to game.

Good luck and happy birthday to the little one
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."