You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Cavalry Sabre not Calculating Crit Damage Properly  (Read 1937 times)

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
Cavalry Sabre not Calculating Crit Damage Properly
« on: August 27, 2016, 03:01:00 AM »
The rapier known as "Cavalry Sabre" appears to be not taking into account one or more of its attributes. I suspect the damage penalty on it might be being multiplied on critical hits or more likely that the Massive Critical property is not functioning properly.

Spoiler: show

Based off of mine and the weapons stats and assuming that damage penalties arn't multiplied on critical hits, I should be doing a minimum of 12 damage on crits.
(1d6 weapon + 4 (str and weapon spec) + 1d4 slashing) is 6 at min and 12 on a crit. 12 - 1 Physical (damage penalty) = 11.        11 + 1d10 massive crits is 12.

Even assuming that damage penalties are multiplied on critical hits, that still puts my minimum crit damage at 11. In the 3rd srceen shot I rolled an 11 and in the 4th   I rolled a 10- Below what should be the floor for me and that weapon. Something on that weapon that is supposed to be procing isn't.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:50:43 AM by LeviShultz »

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
Re: Cavalry Sabre not Calculating Crit Damage Properly
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »
Bumping this.

Minimum possible damage should be 11. I don't believe the massive critical feature on this weapon is working properly.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 12:56:47 PM »
I noticed a similar issue with the zombie champions in the early Barovian crypts. They'll crit for equal or less than their average damage. However, they don't have weapons with the massive crit property.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 12:59:03 PM »
I would run more tests on the weapon, but I'm not sure what the point would be in narrowing it down. The only thing we can do is remove the weapon from loot. The game will calculate damage how it wants to. For what it's worth, the culprit is likely the extra slashing damage type.

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
Is it possible that you are testing the weapon on something that modifies slashing damage?
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 06:21:58 AM »
Can we take a look at either removing this item, fixing it, or replacing it with an item that does work?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 04:31:23 PM »
I'll see what I can do.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Philos

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 05:57:48 PM »
Bump

Philos

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 01:46:58 AM »
bump

Socha

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
  • play stupid games; win stupid prizes
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 01:43:32 PM »
Since it seems like developers do not see a point in looking into the probable Malfunction of the Massive Critical property, maybe we can come up with alternative stats for the weapon, and get rid of the Massive Critical property entirely. The reasons I suggest that are:

1. The Cavalry saber doesn't offer anything beyond its extra slashing damage property.
2. Its damage peaks at a 1d6+1d4+STR-1, which is at an average of 4+STR Damage.
3. If you compare that to a mundane longsword, at 1d8+STR, its average is also 4+STR.

4. The difference is that the longsword doesn't come with Skill Penalties which include a -1 Parry AC (Both discipline and parry are high priority skills for combatants).
5. Spells that increase Weapon Enchantment (Magic Weapon, Greater Magic Weapon, etc) do not overwrite the -1 EB on the Cavalry Saber, making such a spell or varnish necessary to simply negate the penalty (-1 AB, -1 DMG).

I haven't seen other rapiers in the loot table so my suggestion isn't as informed as it could be but I suggest the following stats to replace the original ones:
- Extra Melee Damage: Slashing
- Damage Bonus: Slashing 1d4
- Minus 1 Dodge AC

If you want to get technical, the cavalry sabre is also used as a dueling weapon, and giving a penalty to parry doesn't seem fitting.
On the other hand, the elaborate guard which allows the wielder to extend the arm with more hand protection than a simple crossguard also comes with the risk of making the arm a target due to overextension.

Other suggestions are welcome!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:45:30 PM by Kazbah »
CBT aficionado since 2015.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »
Because some things have a lower priority does not mean it is not being looked at and considered by the Devs. This one is still on my to do list, as are numerous other items needing adjustments and will be dealt with as time allows.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
Took the suggestions here to heart, and a less borked version of the Cavalry Sabre is coming soon! Hearts and kisses.