Author Topic: Spell range overlay  (Read 1258 times)

dark_majico

Spell range overlay
« on: May 06, 2016, 05:19:04 AM »
So I had an idea and wondered if it would be possible to create a client side system for judging spell ranges? Something along the lines of an override that would create a reference point on the screen for the different ranges, touch (2.25 meters), short (8 meters), medium (20 meters), long (40 meters). I don't play NWN2 because I think it blows but watching youtube videos it appears to have one which might have been where I got the idea from. Does anyone think this is possible?

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
Re: Spell range overlay
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:20:26 AM »
I like not having that sort of reference to unerringly cast a spell. You have to get a feel for it yourself, and you respect the fact that a fireball might very well hurt your ally as well as your enemy if your aim isn't right, as opposed to just looking at some circle and knowing that you can just cast it right there and only hurt what you want. I mean, I can understand the want for it but, personally I wouldn't want it. Even if I do hate it when inexperienced mages drop electric balls on top of my head over and over again  :lol: But really, isn't that sort of an ic kinda thing? Your character needs to learn how to use their spells and to respect them as opposed to just knowing somehow exactly, to a mm, what a 40 m radius is from the point they choose to cast their spell. Do you err on the side of caution, or is the situation too tense and would you rather get that spell off quickly and risk hurting someone but guaranteeing the damage against your enemy as well?
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

dark_majico

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 08:36:01 AM »
I like not having that sort of reference to unerringly cast a spell. You have to get a feel for it yourself, and you respect the fact that a fireball might very well hurt your ally as well as your enemy if your aim isn't right, as opposed to just looking at some circle and knowing that you can just cast it right there and only hurt what you want. I mean, I can understand the want for it but, personally I wouldn't want it. Even if I do hate it when inexperienced mages drop electric balls on top of my head over and over again  :lol: But really, isn't that sort of an ic kinda thing? Your character needs to learn how to use their spells and to respect them as opposed to just knowing somehow exactly, to a mm, what a 40 m radius is from the point they choose to cast their spell. Do you err on the side of caution, or is the situation too tense and would you rather get that spell off quickly and risk hurting someone but guaranteeing the damage against your enemy as well?

Well that's a valid point but the purpose of this thread is to explore if the idea is possible or not from a technical point of view, so if we could not detract from the intent of the post that would be appreciated. In which case I've just realised I think I should have put it in the technical forum, so if the thread could be moved?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:37:43 AM by dark_majico »

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »
No, this isn't possible.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.