Author Topic: Hak Test - Monk Feats  (Read 1105 times)

Mordch

• New to the Mists
Hak Test - Monk Feats
« on: October 05, 2017, 01:57:12 PM »
After having played around with the monk feats, I am left a bit confused.

Fiery Fist

1d6 damage per hit
Duration 1 round per wisdom mod
consumes 1 stunning fist.

To start off with something positive, this feat is the only useful one of the trio. Low duration makes this feat somewhat frustrating to use, but still, I felt this to be a serviceable feat.

Fiery Ki Defense

1d6 damage
Duration 1 round per wisdom mod
consumes 1 stunning fist

I found this feat to be lack for a better word, useless. The damage is so low, that it doesn't do anything to hinder -any- enemy.
Even worse, the duration is just way too low. Both things are compounded even more by monks having higher than average AC, leaving enemies with less chances to land hits, and make the feat work.
All those things combined just leaves me not even wanting to try and use it. Using it just feels like throwing away stunning fist uses and getting nothing in return.

Ki Blast

damage 3d6 + wisdom mod
consumes 2 stunning fists

As much as I like the concept of this feat, the damage is just too low. I average 10-12 damage per use. It barely scratches even low level enemies.
With a bow, a monk could deal up to 6 attacks a round, each arrow dealing more damage. Or up 10 melee attacks a round.
I don't see why I would use this feat in combat, over melee attacks or a bow. Even worse, it takes two uses of stunning fist, and exchanges it for almost nothing.

This feat really needs an enormous buff to the damage. At least double what it presently does.

One thing that both Blast and Defense share, is that by using either,  I would find myself with fewer uses of Fiery Fist.
Due to that, I found these two feats counterproductive to use. I saw no reason to waste uses of stunning fist on these two, when I could simply use them all for Fiery Fist.

In the end, I think a bit of a rethink, or outright buffing is in order for Blast and Defense.