You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Formal Remarks on Lawfulness and Dislawfulness  (Read 2489 times)

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
Formal Remarks on Lawfulness and Dislawfulness
« on: March 11, 2016, 06:33:11 AM »
[A leather-bound book, the cover plain, tucked away under some creaking shelf, in an unused library.]

Judgement is something usually given by kings and heads, and their hands. When they are indisposed, it is every good Dwarf's duty to do their best to see it done. For the reckless few Wanderers who spend time outside their hold, there are injustices that must be answered, that cannot be answered by a jury or a king. It is of paramount importance that criminals are not allowed to run free, to continue their crimes.

Far and wide, it is easy enough to find the desire to apply justice, but not so easy to hold a level head across judgements. Vengeance and justice are at odds; there is no reconciliation between the pair, one must endeavour to avoid emotion when laying a sentence. Temperance cannot be taught so easily, it something that comes with winters, but experience can be passed on, and give an example to follow. I have something of an experience with the execution of justice, for the sake of the younger, I ink it in this tome.

Quote from: AN EXCERPT
On Crime Against Guests, Betrayal and Perfidy:
Words inked and ironed by BALALIN, in service of GORM GULTHYN, WARDEN OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND DWARVEN;
Son of LURAK, of CLAN GABILBUND, of DVERGEHEIM, and of the EARTHSPUR MOUNTAINS.

Of the serious crimes, those against guests and supplicants of sanctuary are heinous indeed. It is a slight against Dwarven honour, as a whole, when a guest becomes victim. Dwarves are renowned for their hospitality and safe halls. It is not only against the literal victim, but against each and every Dwarf thereafter who has to defend their reputation to guests and visitors. Respectability is akin to nobility, and betrayal strips a measure of that each time it is cut. With such a crime, the punishment must be measured bearing in mind the far-reaching cost of the action. This is not to belittle the crime against the individual victim, which should need little elaboration of its unjustness, but to multiply its severity.

■ A light crime would be one of indeliberate happening: an innkeeper that does not watch a poisoner taint all his brew, a stonemason that does not see the bridge which crumbles underneath. If dutiful attention would have prevented an event, it should not have happened. There should be little reprimand for this, as all have lapses, it is a living condition, though it is formally recognised as a failure on the part of that Dwarf, and is not something so easily forgotten by the hold.

■ A crime of minor severity, a deliberate action with passing consequence: a dwarf who breaks a guest's arm, a lighthand who robs the pockets of a wealthy visitor. These are more difficult to judge. There are always more excuses and reasons, here, and fewer answers to them that feel right. Moderation is more difficult to manage than extremes. A punishment half as harsh again, perhaps, as if the crimes were between two unrelated Dwarves; we cannot be seen to take this lightly.

■ The crimes of heaviest severity are those of deliberate action that results in irreparable, grievous harm, murder as the most obvious. There are few circumstances that warrant less than execution, or immediate banishment.

As an example: A fledgling vampire came into a hold's halls, under guise, asking assistance to reclaim what she'd lost in the tunnels below[1]. She beckoned with me those beside me who were taking shelter[2]. Upon making our way lower, her nature was made plain[3], and in defense we struck her down. In this instance the vampiress was judged a final death; the severity of the first two crimes compounded by the attack of her third. A judgement such as this is delivered there and then, and if not, the next opportunity. If the criminal is raised thereafter, they are exiled forever from Dwarven sanctuary, under penalty of another death. It is in my opinion there can be no exemption from that banishment. The topic of trust is worthy of a tome of its own, but it should suffice to say that if one has proven themselves capable of a deed by doing it, they are certainly capable of doing it a second time.

[1] - Her first crime, lying about her need for aid.
[2] - Her second crime, luring Dwarven guests, with treachery, into betrayal.
[3] - Her third crime, attacking innocents with intent to murder.

Now, to begin that tome on the topic of trust, I'll lead with a an analogy told to me by an alewife...

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:31:03 PM by Bastellus »

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 12:21:16 AM »
On the Unliving and Identity:
Words inked and ironed by BALALIN, in service of GORM GULTHYN, THE VIGILANT THAT KNOWS NO SLEEP;

There are two measures of unliving; mindless, and mindful. The former need little explanation, they are poor, tormented shells, which deserve immediate purification, rest, and internment. The latter are varied, and contentious. Not all the greater unliving are without conscious thought.

■ The mindless are the lower dead. The broken skeletons, the mal-treated rotting dead who are pointed this way and that way by a controlling witch or wizard. They are defined by their sole concern: filling their hungers.
■ The mindful are the greater dead: vampires, vampiresses, their thralls, especially; these, for certain, retain a semblance of sobriety. Some retain their memories, good facets of their soul that have not yet been overriden by hunger. It is an inevitability that such hunger will consume their good sense eventually - as it is the living condition to slip up, so it is as the unliving.

One does not do justice by simply putting down every restless dead they meet. Both mindless and mindful present a threat by their very nature, and while the mindless should be given rest immediately and unconditionally, the mindful are owed a moment of pause and consideration. It is acceptable to bar them from the hold, to usher them away from good families and safe hearths. It is acceptable, and very much encouraged, to give them their final rest, if they prove true to their nature, that is hostile, belligerent, bloodthirsty. If they prove respectable, trustworthy, or otherwise honourable and peaceful, it is the goodly way to treat them in turn and to consider any requests they might have. It would be unbecoming do otherwise. There will never be a time when unliving and living can act in concert and harmony, but minor relations can be had until they prove themselves mastered by their nature.

I knew one who was mindful: We first met wounded, exhausted; we were at his mercy, and he did not act. He did not seem to consider anything against us for a single moment. He was a vampire of deadly skill. Not only did he show temperance, he showed caring, offered us information freely, and it was clear immediately we would do more harm than good by fighting him. Our later meetings put us against a common foe. He perished in battle, his soul spent to protect ours. "If you are dead, I will remember you all," his exact words, still fresh in my mind. He will be remembered, and I wish to do him well by my continued duty.

I have served in Gorm Gulthyn's ranks for more than a hundred and half-again turns, it is taught well how dangerous and disruptive the unliving are; the Greatest Price foremost in our oaths and minds. This one did not swear to the Greatest Price, he simply paid it, out of his goodness, as an unliving for countless years. Rare is the soul that sacrifices their being for others. Among unliving it might be all the rarer, but it is all the greater.

Regarding the other raised dead...

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
A Memory
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:45:58 AM »

770, Barovian Calendar

♪♫ ♪

The deluge that was the rain beat against the windows. The room painted green with the insect ichor, the bell still humming from that great roar it had spilled to the country outside. The elf stood there, his blade dripping that sickness, while the party dripped from their wounds. "He comes, fools." Hard enough emotion to read, for a human, let alone for an elf, let alone what he was. "Wait... wait here." Determination, anger? Or maybe resignation. The floor was slippery, but his steps were steady.

With a SLAM the doors were locked. The party hammered and hammered, searching the walls for some lever, some key. The stone shook, the wood shook, the tinted glass panes in their frames shook, and the jellied insect matter drip-dripped to the floor around them. Flames danced under the door, and the shouts of spells of obscene power echoed. When the doors opened, they rushed into the room beyond, just as the air rushed out to meet them; thick, choking.

The dwarf raged, his already tight vision narrowed by emotion. His boots pealed their golden stomp against the stone, like the bell behind him. "Reveal yourself, coward!" He called to the roof, hands trembling from- from everything; the exhaustion, the poison yet coursing through him, the loss- the losses. "Come out!" The shadow of the rafters above gave no answer. That harsh reek and the ash itself climbed in his nostrils, sticking to his throat and giving him an ague like he'd not felt in the centuries before. As he breathed in what remained of his friend, his helmet shook; silent sobs and tearful eyes behind that staring visor.

But, no. No. He wouldn't get to pay the Price today. The stench that climbed proved the silent others were just as noble.

Quote from: WHEREIN HIS SIGHT IS FIXED
"You are all adrift at sea, in a boat barely large enough. You are taking on water and must lose weight to remain afloat." The question croaked at him, the oppressive night all the darker for the forms.

He barked, immediately. "I would send myself over!"

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:17:41 AM by qwerty »

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
A Memory
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 08:16:23 PM »

Quote from: WHISPERS FROM THE GLASS
"Brother! Just hold fast, and I shall have you to safety!
I am so glad you are safe!"

The words of that long-past dialogue still buzzed in his ears. The world shook and quaked about him. Was it the Earthspurs? Was that Nolarr and Edlin supporting him? Not two minutes past he'd seen them by the forge. How he'd missed them. The ring of fat hammers on fat iron, on fatter anvils, by arms as fat as his stomach was fat. He could still hear it, from those two minutes past. He heard it, and his eyes wrinkled, dripping tears and blood down his dusted cheeks; this was home. He was home.

"Why?"

"I know, my friend. We have to keep moving." Edlin, no- the elf, the elf encouraged him, through tears of his own. His pain was a dagger, a hundred daggers. His arms hung useless at his side, his thick skin barely sewn to his flesh, flayed by magic and claw. They had done their best, he'd done his best, Gorm Gulthyn had done His best, but it was not enough, or maybe it was too much. The wounds still bled. The skin still tore, the pain still faded his vision to a fog. Was there someone in that fog? No, that fog was someone.

"Thank you." The spectre gave its benediction, and the dwarf let out a breath he'd been holding for all those long months. How long had it been? He really was home. "Thank you, truly."

His cheek bled; the talon had cut him through the flap of skin, to the gum, to the bone beneath. For a second, he dreaded the presentation of his beard. This was a big moment. This didn't happen every day.

"What would this world be without you?"

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
A Memory
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:14:26 PM »

1307, Dale Reckoning

♪♫ ♪

"One more joke about m'weight, and I'm eating ye t'fatten myself. I might swear t'do't."

"No, y'won't."

"No, I won't." Her children had her eyes. A blue, like veins of lapis, so deep you could lose yourself as if you weren't a dwarf who never got lost in depths. It was a rare enough colour, just like she was a rare enough beauty. The old dwarf loved those two as if they were his own blood. "Tell y'sister I'll visit her soon, aye?"

"Can do that."

"And tell her I'll bring her a great basket'f plants'nd whatnots, aye?"

Quote from: A BREATH OF MEMORY
"Those pointy ones y'like, don't know what those're called."
"Ravenclaw, dear."
"That's't. I'll get y'lots'f those."

"Y'say this every week, and y'do't every week. I think she knows." He did do it every week. It was on his mind every other day of the week. He visited her, he visited her children, brother and sister both. They had a meal, he blessed their good fortune, and he explained why he couldn't drink the fine ale they'd brought out just for him. Every week. Seventy years with the children, and then another ninety before that without them. The hem of his ancient mail got stuck under their lovely stone chair. Every week.

"I like't said, anyway."

"Ye're stubborn, even for y'blood, y'know that?"

"It's a virtue, really."

"Oh, 'course. Got y'sword all shined'nd sharpened, right?"

"Sword'nd armour, Edlin, every day."

Quote from: A BREATH OF MEMORY
"I have a shield, master dwarf."
"And I AM a shield, human."

"Y'do us proud, y'know? Come back safe."

"Y'say that every week."

"I s'pose I like't said." They hugged, old and older. The small room shook with the roar of their laughter. It was improper to laugh too much, but here he was, in such good company, bald head thrown back. This was Dwarven life. How good it was to be here, right now. How good it was to be home.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:44:51 PM by qwerty »

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 08:50:35 PM »
On the Crime of Kinstrife:
Words inked and ironed by BALALIN, in service of GORM GULTHYN, HE OF FIRE EYES;

There is no greater crime than murder within blood. One murder is no more terrible than another, but kinslaying proves without a doubt how depraved and dishonourable the guilty is. Ties of blood are there to hold us and support us when there are no others. A watchman must know those he protects are worth protecting, and that they won't betray him to what he protects them from. Family is the earth from which we are sprung, the ones that care for us without fail. There is a duty, a familial duty, that must be upheld, in Dwarven society, but further in any good society. It is the most deep duty, the core duty, that we know from birth. To revoke this duty is to know true madness. No sane soul can murder someone so close.

There is no redemption. There are no extenuating circumstances. If guilt is found, that person can only be sentenced to death; no matter what tears they shed, no matter what reason they twist. They are at odds with the good world, they are of true Evil. They can never function in good society, they can never be trusted again. It is far better for the world, for every reach, to put them out from their miserable existence and away from proper hearths.

I laid judgement on one kinslayer: I had seen him personally kill his brother, through means of a vision. I saw him push a dagger through his brother's chest, hold him that he could see the whites of his eyes, and then relish in that moment. This vision proved undoubtable. I was resolved, then, to depose this unjust ruler. Such a cruel existence in such a prominent role surely only influenced others to his treachery.

When the deed was done, I had his unjustly slain brother's spectre come to me, then. There are few moments in service that feel as if the full world, and everything above it, agrees that a just judgement has been given; this was my first. It is any and every good Dwarf's duty to help bring a kinslayer to justice, to make that realm a safer place for all. The realm will be thankful for it.

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
Re: Formal Remarks on Lawfulness and Dislawfulness
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 06:23:52 AM »
Quote from: AN ESSAY IN OLD PAGES
Words inked and ironed by BALALIN, in service of GORM GULTHYN, WHO TOUCHES EVEN THROUGH THESE MISTS;

My hands are bloodied. Let this be my confession. That force of pervasive evil, that which is everywhere, it can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear and absolutely will not stop ever, until you are dead. Though it was not my muscle that did the killing, it may as well have been. Each fallen ally, each missing friend, long lost to the roads and the grasping hands of death; each leaves a stain on my honour that can only in my own death be remedied. It has been a year now since I could safely write here, this book, at home. Perhaps it will not be lost among the crumbling stone and dusty tomes, and perhaps it will. This act of writing leaves my ideas upon the world until it is destroyed or found, and that certainty of time, of my persistence gives me some comfort and relief. My acts of treason are the reason my brothers and sisters lie dead, killed in my own defence, or by my side, for the danger that follows my every footstep. For crimes against Barovia, whatever good I had thought those acts, I have brought only danger to the world I love. I cannot surpass or endure this evil. I have only a meager number of years left. Two-hundred and six years I am, now, and I will be weak and useless soon - this cannot be. To remedy my failings of duty, I go to my death, and what comes after it, for there will be no forgiveness in this life and there is no more I can do. This world is misery for those who would seek goodness. Let the soft, good things hide, while those bloody, dark sacrifices like mine own keep the evil things distracted for a time.

Ambrose, my brother. I may never rest in a temple as Gorm Gulthyn has His faithful do. I hope you might accept this demand, this thing I force on you, that you might rest where I and Klaus may not - where those brothers and sisters I have lost may not. Would that I could rest safely dead in Dvergeheim, instead of you. My calling voice will never reach you, but I hope that the mists might bring this to you, in whatever time it takes for the cycles to turn and the world to change. May Mystra kiss you in your long sleep as I have kissed your cold body. May her tears fall like rain over you as my tears have fallen on you. May her lament be a lullaby and your rest be deep.

To my love, Faltred, I cannot call to you beyond these mists, so I can only have faith this paper reaches you as I have faith it will reach Ambrose. I bear thoughts of you in my heart to remain standing through ordeal and trial. I think of your smile and red hair to bear fire and claw. I pray that your children and children's children continue their long lives, safe in the Glimmerhold. Would that I could have been their father, and not have to watch you love another. Alas, my duty, even after death, will forever keep me from you.

The Great Sacrifice is long overdue. Gorm Gulthyn, for the trials I have endured, and what comes, I will have us made equals, now. Let my footsteps sound besides Yours, defending the Dwarven holds beyond this coming death. Though my form will be shattered and destroyed by this evil, I will return and see duty done for what I have failed here as flesh and blood. I know, now. I have this faith, and it may never be lost for so long as this parchment bears this ink.

There must be only duty: may my steps forever peal as bells, and my voice be as thunder.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:26:02 AM by Bastellus »

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »

?

Though Balalin did not know it, Gorm Gulthyn had long-since died. Balalin's twilight years had been more devoutly than ever spent in support of that dead god, forbidding him touch of merest pleasure, moment of smallest respite. At home they had written songs after the great Bronze Lord had died; sad, haunting little songs that lingered in your mind and rained on your day though you didn't give a thought to them. Through his rhythmic toil in the caverns, Balalin had created one of those same little songs and it waltzed, melancholy, in the back of his head.

Long did the fired-eyes watch the hame,
The Bronze Lord far stood the strongest wall,
We closed our eyes as the dark things came,
And shame it is, we heard the Great Two fall.

Don't you know where the Bright One went?

The tunnel was a little wider than he, and a little shorter. He groaned, his heavy sweat turning the dirt snow of the caverns to mud in his passage. It was here, in the deep under the world, Balalin searched for truth in some rumour - another tiring journey begun by conspiratorial words whispered in the hope of salvation. Tall fellow in a hood, hunched in a bar he felt too pretty for. Balalin had searched long for some weapon, or token, or thing of power, taking any old tale or fancy as clue. He was unbound by friend or love, now, his ties to family, friends - any and all he knew - had been severed. The dwarf travelled lightly in possession, too. The good metal of his armour had been reduced to individual ringlets by a ruster, and his helmet pierced useless by a fishhook claw. Ar-bedorn, the great steel sword, was still worn slung over his shoulder, but chipped and faded to a fraction of her former glory. His leather jerkin bore the symbols of religious devotion that his august breastplate once had, though they, like their owner, were faded by the long travel.

Balalin had once prided himself on steady footwork and pacing. It was ill-minded to run into danger, or from it. A steady rhythm was best. In the barrows under the mountain range, however, his footsteps had slowed - a full minute between them now, panting all the while. The cold mud his sweat brewed bit at his senses and drained his energy. He squinted in the low light of his glowing ring, the last of his few magical possessions, staring ahead.

"Don't you know where the Bright One went?"

He stiffened at the whisper. He was unsure if he had muttered the words himself, or if his grim, abstract thought had somehow manifested into lyric in the world around him. Maybe he imagined it. He stood there, ring held high, listening to the dust fall on the primordial rock.

And the dark thing at the end of the tunnel moved.

He reached to draw his sword. The motion had always been swift, tunnel-fighting was his; bend at the knees and hips, pushing your center back so the blade can fall forward. The grandfather blade had broken here and there in wars like this, earning its legacy, but had been reforged time and again to kill those old, evil things. He preferred his shortblade here, but it had gone in the water troll's gut on New Moon. Balalin went to the motion, but his arthritic joints clicked and stuck, and could not match his mind's direction. His arms pulled too swiftly, and the pommel of the great steel weapon drew straight; stuck in the crag roof.

His belly wide open, a triumphant screech came from the dark-thing, and its teeth dived close, bit and shredded the poor dwarf's skin, as much leather as his jerkin. Something lashed at his face, and cut him deep, and he screamed a bitter noise. It was quick and dirty, and he had no time to shout any resolute oratory or cutting litany. The struggle was simple seconds of focussed, pained rebuke, and he was sorely outmatched. Then came a singular thought - and if he had then looked upon himself from above, he almost would have judged his body as being too eager to jump to it.

Balalin wrapped his left arm around the squirming shadow-stuff, blind eyes blessed to not see the cruel form by his face. His right arm struggled with the greatsword, now pulling it free, and then hammering that solid pommel into the pale stone ceiling. With terrible speed, again and again he was savaged, and again and again he battered the rock, until with a low, slow shudder the stones woke and came down. The cracking of the mountain roots matched the victory squeal of the shadow-thing, as Balalin's final breath let out. His brains came with it, pouring out of his broken skull and over his cracked lips that were pressed in a perverse kiss to the terror's slime and razor-scale. The great boulders pressed downwards slowly, for the jagged surfaces that splintered and broke slowed them, and they came as if reluctant to finally claim their stone brother.

Squeal turned to screech as the dark form found itself trapped in the shrinking space. The ancient dwarf's flesh would quickly rot away, but his shattered skeleton would yet be bent in grip. It would be some time before the grasping tongues of shadow would pull themselves through the cracks of pale stone and bone. Alone, buried by rockfall, Balalin perished. The cairn of white, sharp stones above him marked the temple tomb that the old dwarf had desired since his arrival in the mists. No songs on the echoing walls, no knocks on the deep doors. Some part of him he had long denied, and only recently embraced, would have felt relief at this.

Quote from: THAT LAST BREATH
"I love ye, Bal." That's what she said, young and beautiful.

"As I love ye." That's what he said, young and beautiful.

They drew hot breath in the warm room, heads hotter yet.

"But I cannot be selfish." He also said that.

She opened her mouth. She was angry, rejected.

"And neither should ye." He also said that, and she closed her mouth before speaking.

She left.

A hundred and seventeen years later, so did he.