Author Topic: Dvergheim: Another thread, I know  (Read 3543 times)

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
Dvergheim: Another thread, I know
« on: February 24, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »
So, the dwarf get together was fun while I was there (my power went out), but during that time while we hung out at the bar, the tremors would knock us out of our chairs, and even damage us on occasion.  If it's that bad, how do these dwarves even survive?

I think it's time for the area to get a serious revamp, one I know devs have discussed at least in passing.  The place is empty, the lighting is poor, the NPCs lack much diversity.  There's not even a shop or general store, let alone an inn. 

I think it's nigh time that the shadow crystal plot came to a close, with either Dvergheim being consumed by darkness, or the dwarves triumph over evil for once as a show that evil can be beaten in Ravenloft. It may be a persistent world, but I think things should still be allowed to change.

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
Re: Dvergheim: Another thread, I know
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:44:26 PM »
Low discipline in that meeting is a nightmare... Still having to tab back in and put myself back in my seat.

Definitely needs a revamp of -some- sort.

booksarefun666

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 05:51:39 PM »
The rebuilding of Dvergheim would be neat. Place could use a bank.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 05:55:34 PM »
I've got years of experience in Dwarf Fortress. I can totally design a !!FUN!! new Dvergheim.

Is it at all possible to have it play the shake animation without it actually knocking people down or damaging them while they're in that zone?
: )

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 06:10:34 PM »
I think it's time for the area to get a serious revamp, one I know devs have discussed at least in passing.  The place is empty, the lighting is poor, the NPCs lack much diversity.  There's not even a shop or general store, let alone an inn. 

I do agree with this, it's almost crippling to try and RP in the zone, sometimes. Even an aesthetic touch-up would be nice; most of the commoner NPCs face the same direction, in the same outfit, in pitch black rooms, it's weird.

Is it at all possible to have it play the shake animation without it actually knocking people down or damaging them while they're in that zone?

It should be, I think it even does play sometimes in the cycle, without triggering the knockdown.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »
There might not be a proper "inn" but there's a place to rest whenever you want, if that's all you meant. That said a revamp of Dvergheim would be sweet. I always thought it would be cool if the off limits part of the city would be open to dwarves and those proven friendly
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Olywynn

• Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 09:01:01 PM »
There's an entire residential district behind a closed and locked door.  I feel like if Dvergheim's redone, Moloch's throne room and such should be near the bottom, above the mining/smithing area.  Residential/market/tavern area at the top.  Again, I realize it's a small community, but as it stands, it's an incredibly drab and boring location to play in.  Not to mention annoying, due to the shaking.  Let's kill whatever is causing the shaking, already!

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 09:29:14 PM »
There's an entire residential district behind a closed and locked door.  I feel like if Dvergheim's redone, Moloch's throne room and such should be near the bottom, above the mining/smithing area.  Residential/market/tavern area at the top.  Again, I realize it's a small community, but as it stands, it's an incredibly drab and boring location to play in.  Not to mention annoying, due to the shaking.  Let's kill whatever is causing the shaking, already!

No, no, no. That's all wrong. Who taught you Dwarven architecture!?
: )

Olywynn

• Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 10:05:51 PM »
Armok himself!

Dvergheim needs an altar to sacrifice goblins to Armok to.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 01:42:44 AM »
A revamp of the area would be nice, though just turning down the roll vs falling would make the area more rp favorable imo.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »
The "off-limits" part is completely destroyed. There's nothing to visit.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Olywynn

• Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 02:37:41 PM »
Could it not be reclaimed if the shaking was brought to an end?  Is there any word on when this plot will come to a close, so other paths can be explored story wise?

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »
It was completely caved in and destroyed. I suppose if the shaking ever stopped, the dwarves could try and dig it out, but it would take years, if not decades.

I know some people want some grand dwarf city, but that's not what this place is. It's a ramshackle refugee camp set up in a castle-fort that was set up on the outskirts of their city. They're not going to have a bank or anything like that.

That being said, the area does need touching up and the NPCs do need updating, so I'll try to get to that soon.

As for ending the shadow crystal plot, I can't promise a timetable, but I think I finally have a way of making a satisfying version of Bluetspur, which was what was holding things up. If that works out, I will try to finally wrap that long-lingering story up.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002