Author Topic: Location Information  (Read 3200 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Location Information
« on: February 24, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
For those of us who like to rp doing rituals and other witchy/magic related stuff, we often make do with existing locations in game that appear witchy or aesthetically pleasing for rituals. In the past this has come back to bite chars on the bottom when certain places turned out to be occupied as a place of worship for a unknown god. Or claimed by something else.

I am curious though, is there a way for a character to icly become aware if a space was already claimed by some god. Or if the space was just a believed point of power that any stray group may make use of? Or is it possible to sense magically in some way that the space is occupied?

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Location Information
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 01:59:45 PM »
The demiplane cuts off all the normal ways a cleric could do such a thing. There is simply no way to talk with or receive information from a deity while in Ravenloft. Clerics can still pray for, and receive, their spells and abilities, but cannot receive any information. No visions, no prophecies, no godly voices, no visits from avatars or proxies, etc.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 02:25:02 PM »
Not actually talking to the gods, just knowing or finding out if locations are connected to a particular power. Such as the circle near the the beetles, and the various other locations spread out.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 02:36:21 PM »
Not actually talking to the gods, just knowing or finding out if locations are connected to a particular power. Such as the circle near the the beetles, and the various other locations spread out.

I don't know if any/many of those locations are actually 'connected' but a lot of players will adopt those sort of places for their own uses. That sort of thing comes and goes.
: )

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »
I know some take a fancy to a spot and begin using it, but there was one location which turned out to actually be connected to something, which caused negative repercussions to my character for using such for her own god. So i was just wondering if there was a way for a character to make sure so they dont ignorantly cross some god or power by using such for them self.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 03:05:14 PM »
Short of discovering the information IC, I doubt it.  Seems like the purpose of most of these places is to be hidden and secretive, except to the people already in the know.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
I know some take a fancy to a spot and begin using it, but there was one location which turned out to actually be connected to something, which caused negative repercussions to my character for using such for her own god. So i was just wondering if there was a way for a character to make sure so they dont ignorantly cross some god or power by using such for them self.
What spot was that?

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »
The circle next to the beetle hole, didn't want to be exact in case it wasn't supposed to be common knowledge. As a result of using it she ended up having to roll a dp. And it seems like there was quite some rp with other characters regarding the spot as well and the power behind it. I am mostly just wondering though if there is any way a character may evaluate a spot they come across to see if its "claimed" by a god or such to avoid crossing them.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 08:12:30 PM »
The circle next to the beetle hole, didn't want to be exact in case it wasn't supposed to be common knowledge. As a result of using it she ended up having to roll a dp. And it seems like there was quite some rp with other characters regarding the spot as well and the power behind it. I am mostly just wondering though if there is any way a character may evaluate a spot they come across to see if its "claimed" by a god or such to avoid crossing them.
Well, no God can claim anything in Ravenloft; the demiplane is the territory of the Dark Powers.

The stone circles found throughout Barovia are prehistoric in origin. No one knows who built them or what for. They have some beneficial magic to them, but no one knows how or why. Any god that might have inspired their construction is likely as forgotten as whichever people built them in the ages before the Barovians settled there.