Author Topic: Sorceror pretending to be a wizard in dementelieu.  (Read 11887 times)

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
Re: Sorceror pretending to be a wizard in dementelieu.
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2016, 01:38:21 AM »
Sorcerers are people with inherent magical power.  They, by blood, know magic.  They know the words, and how to wave their hands.  It's magic by will, where as wizards are magic by knowledge.

Sorcerers find out about their abilities very young, because things tend to happen around them in reaction to their emotions.  For instance, when very angry, lights may flicker and their home might creak and groan.  There are reasons Sorcerers are feared.  People fear that they may lose control.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2016, 09:53:04 AM »
Sorcerers are people with inherent magical power.  They, by blood, know magic.  They know the words, and how to wave their hands.  It's magic by will, where as wizards are magic by knowledge.

Sorcerers find out about their abilities very young, because things tend to happen around them in reaction to their emotions.  For instance, when very angry, lights may flicker and their home might creak and groan.  There are reasons Sorcerers are feared.  People fear that they may lose control.

Yeah that's well known, but the problem is that I was under the impression wizards HAD to have a grimoire to cast. Like, the physical copy of their book had to be on their person when they made magic happen. Since apparently they don't, and most people don't know the difference, how would your average dementelieun differentiate between a sorceror casting and a wizard casting? Most of the NPC street wizards don't use books either, they just wave wands around and make a show out of it.

That's where the confusion arose, like I said. I thought wizards had to have their book of spells on them and visible.

dark_majico

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »
Whats the deal with sorcerers in Dement anyway? Does the OCR system fire up greater for Sorcerers than Wizards, or is it applied to Sorcerers only? Or something totally different?
\

the NPC's shout "OMG he just cast a spell without using a book how is that possible PANIC!"

Although according to people in this thread wizards also cast spells without using a book so pbbbbt if I know

Is that what they really say, do they actually mention books? Something like this would surely be better...

"Vile sorcerery! Run! Call the gendarmes!" or randomly a different phrase "Wicked corrupt sorcerery! Run, save yourselves!"

I have no issue with this system at all, in fact I think it's probably the best compromise they could possibly make and it's fine. If they do mention some none sense about spell books then that should be tweaked a little.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »
Whats the deal with sorcerers in Dement anyway? Does the OCR system fire up greater for Sorcerers than Wizards, or is it applied to Sorcerers only? Or something totally different?
\

the NPC's shout "OMG he just cast a spell without using a book how is that possible PANIC!"

Although according to people in this thread wizards also cast spells without using a book so pbbbbt if I know

Is that what they really say, do they actually mention books? Something like this would surely be better...

"Vile sorcerery! Run! Call the gendarmes!" or randomly a different phrase "Wicked corrupt sorcerery! Run, save yourselves!"

I have no issue with this system at all, in fact I think it's probably the best compromise they could possibly make and it's fine. If they do mention some none sense about spell books then that should be tweaked a little.

I think the exact quote is something more along the lines of "Mon dieu, did you see that? He just cast magic without consulting a tome!" or something along those lines.

I'd check but I don't want to risk throwing my OCR over the line XD
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:25:36 PM by Pagliacci »

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2016, 10:46:17 PM »
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spellcraft.htm
I'd just like to leave this here. This thread has been going on for very damn long, in a discussion which
should now easily be solved by what spellcraft is. You /need/ to see or hear the components, otherwise you'll
just know the spell is happening, when it already happened.

I wouldn't necessarily quote this as dispositive of anything.  If you notice, that particular wiki also discusses using "read magic" and "detect magic" spells, neither of which are part of the NWN system.

It is always tempting to try and cross-pollinate from various sources, looking for the one that supports the position you want to support, and citing to it.  However, as a baseline issue as far as how I choose to role play, I don't subscribe to any set of rules that seeks to handcuff players into playing a particular feat or skill in only one particular way. 

In that vein, if a player wants to use spellcraft without seeing or hearing, go for it.  If a player wants to have a wizard that doesn't cast from a book, go for it.  Heck, if someone wants to make a wizard that is blind and deaf, go for it.  Make life interesting.

Also in that vein, play a sorcerer however you wish to play a sorcerer -- but know that by doing so, you have a corresponding obligation to try and not circumvent the in-game drawbacks that are designed to impact your player (in other words, play honest -- if sorcerers are distrusted in Dementlieu, then no one should be trying to cheese their way around that.  Trying to role play that difficulty is the pinnacle of good RP).

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2016, 06:28:13 PM »
I am curious how they can tell that wizards are actually wizards. Is it like in pillars of Eternity, where you MUST walk around with a spellbook around and read from it to cast spells as a wizard, or is it just memorizing it and then putting the spell book away and casting the spell without reading?

Well with DnD verses the way wizards and sorcerers can tell the difference is much like how mac and windows can tell a difference. There is a finite way through the weave of magic in how wizards prepare and cast in comparison to sorcerers. in this aspect these two classes process the act of casting and interpreting magic differently its both an empathetic, natural, and justifiable process. In really poor lamas terms its like how some people process and solve a problem through reading verses hands on learning. The act of casting magic may seem identical or the same to non-magic users but for a wizard and sorcerer trained the act is like two competing archers who use a bow vs a crossbow. both do the same thing but both are two different forms. It's really the rp aspect of these worlds when it comes to spell casting.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."