You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Discussion of the new "Looking for Roleplay" system  (Read 7620 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Discussion of the new "Looking for Roleplay" system
« on: January 27, 2016, 09:44:20 AM »
To discuss the system described here: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=42662.0

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
Re: Discussion of the new "Looking for Roleplay" system
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
Wasn't there also a command planned to turn it of again?

edit: Oh wait, I already saw the same command to turn it on also turns it of
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:17:10 AM by modderpunk »

Building out off the mists

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:39:11 AM »
Seriously. I mean, you guys, seriously:

Better Dread than Dead

• The Bad Guy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:12:21 AM »
Really like how it works. For one, it broadcasts to you where the others who have opted-in are and continues to do so while you're in LFRP Mode. Second, if you forget that you have it on, it reminds you occasionally, which is very nice.

So far, I very much like what I see.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 11:22:13 AM »
Will the MPC/AMPC tool be updated to be this precises?

julienchab

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 11:26:42 AM »
It's great! Once in the LFRP mode, you get a notification once someone goes in the mode too

Song of Danta

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 11:30:19 AM »
Absolutely love it. It marks an end to walking in aimless circles. Most of the time, at least.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »
Is there any potential for limiting the scope of the feedback. Perhaps with use of descriptors or similar, perhaps to attract or connect with a segment of characters while remaining blind to others? I realize its vague the way I ask, having trouble fully formulating what I envision, but if I am playing a character that is, for argument's sake, a prancing flower child then bringing a marauding caliban band around might be detrimental to her health (could be fun no doubt! I'm just saying)  I'm against alignment based segmentation, but perhaps a faction or pseudo-faction based descriptor system might work. Outcasts, Outlander, Native, Underworld etc. Where we can flag ourselves etc.  Just a thought.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 08:10:13 PM »
That'll be tree fitty for the idea.

Also I want farplane plots darn your eyes. FAR PLAAAAANEEEE.

Also also, and somewhat more seriously, I know there are certain areas who's excistence are spoilers for the setting, so can those be blocked out or just called "p[laces unknown" if someones in the system?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:22:00 PM by Pagliacci »

wannalogin

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 01:44:30 AM »
Used it now twice and it works like a charm. I personally like how it works.  :)

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 01:47:29 AM »
Out of curiosity, is it limited by domain?

I've seen exactly 1 person listed every time I've checked it for fun.

julienchab

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 02:12:15 AM »
Out of curiosity, is it limited by domain?

I've seen exactly 1 person listed every time I've checked it for fun.

It's not. I feel not many people use it, since I'm mostly always always activated, and I see mostly only the same people using it

Better Dread than Dead

• The Bad Guy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 09:20:17 AM »
I see people have it on most of the time when they're alone and switch it off when they find someone to RP with.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 12:20:12 PM »
I just started playing with it last night, I'll probably be using it if/when I remember that it exists.
: )

gryphonlotr

• Outlander
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »
Just my early impressions but here goes for (hopefully useful) feedback.  :twocents:

I wish there was a way to check the list without turning on your own lfrp. There are a lot of times where I'm finishing up something and about to decide where to go next without wanting to say "hey, I'm over here, come here for RP" when I'm about to leave that place.

Anonymity options would be nice. Not knowing who you're going to run into to would encourage meeting new characters. Also, some people might not want to broadcast where they hang out. (less important for my current main, but still)

It's also nice to know where RP is happening sometimes, so an option to turn on/off a passive, persistent, anonymous marker of "X active players are at Y location" would be nice, and I think would get more use with how many secretive characters there are.

Alternatively, just have certain hub areas just keep a count (perhaps obscured by delay &/or fuzzy logic or something). Examples of such locations in Barovia would be Western ouskirts, ML temple, the inn (though probably not the upstairs), and the drain.

It's a bit of a letdown to make a bit of a trek to the outskirts or the mist camp only to find the place deserted, as I expect -many- people know, but the current system wouldn't let you know that as {everyone in rp}={0 lfrp}={empty area}

Could even have large enough groups that are both semi stationary (aka not just resting/passing through) and not in a dungeon trigger to be temporary hubs to help facilitate player run events. (though that last one would have some downsides, admittedly, but could be offset with a "hide" option of some sort).
Elrebrin - Multi-skilled elven woodsman
Lillia - Squire in service to the Morninglord

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 10:10:13 PM »
The only glaring issue for me is that how the information is all crammed together making it mildly hard/annoying to read. Because a lot of the maps have long names entries take up more then a single line.

Could there be a line break between entries?

Nemonic

• New to the Mists
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 02:49:24 AM »
Or different colors for the different pieces of info? One each for character name, area name, player name?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 04:20:04 AM »
Good ideas, both! Will try it out.

mf_hansen

• Outlander
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 02:37:22 AM »
Dunno if this is too much ooc meta info, but perhaps a rough indication of character level could be added?

Granted, rp is mostly a social activity, but often it also leads to adventuring, and some players may be disappointed when they find out there are ten character levels between them.

Just a rough and or relative indicator, somewhat like the nwn challenge rating, but for lfrp characters.
Forum PM or tell mf_hansen in game or chat on Discord between 17:00-22:00 GMT.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 03:43:34 AM »
A sign reminding people that it exists in the starting area could help.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 04:31:54 AM »
I just wanna voice some thoughts here..

1) I find the lfr system a bit weird, are we not a role-play server were everyone should role play at any moment, whether hacking monster or drinking tea?

2) Do we think the system will make a divide between "role-players" and "hack and slashers"?

I have never turn it on, I try to role-play all the time to the best of my abilities, so don't know what it would do in game. 
Merrum Twind: Sticking his nose where it doesn't belong for the greater good!
Ragnhild “the Snarling” Snarrigson: (aspirant) Shield of Dvergehiem.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 04:36:42 AM »
Your mistaking the purpose of the system, SanneJ.  This isn't here to form a dungeoning group.  This is here for players who are on their own but would like to begin some in character interactions with other players.  The people using this are, like you, role-playing all the time, but it's a little dull to do that on your own - hence this system.  I'd use it constantly but unfortunately I'm too busy hunting and avoiding evildoers.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 05:04:03 AM »
More people should use it, really. Unfortunately, the prevalent attitude seems to be that once you've found a group to RP with you turn it off. Makes sense really, because you're not technically looking for RP anymore but it also means that the list is usually fairly empty and so it doesn't always help you find RP as much as you'd hope. If people kept it on more, unless they're trying to be discrete or really don't want to be found for some reason, it would help more people find RP and could even help start new RP hubs. Just my thoughts on it as it stands now.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 05:10:35 AM »
Now that NCE has ended I'll be turning it on all the time.  People tend to spread out after it ends and I'm happy to chat with folks!

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 02:31:10 PM »
So few use it makes it kind of hard to find people. It should be on by default.

alternativly just give players the @locate tool, it is annoyingly vague enough that one can probaly find people