You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: More Cleric Domain Spells?  (Read 1641 times)

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
More Cleric Domain Spells?
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:45:16 AM »
I was looking through Cleric domains earlier and it occurs to me that we've got all these new spells and some that could probably fit into the Elemental domains (Call Lightning Storm -> Air, for example), any chance of those being added?
: )

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: More Cleric Domain Spells?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
A specific suggestion I have is that Sunburst be added for Sun Domain clerics as an 8th level spell.

The implementation of Sunbeam in Neverwinter Nights differs from the way the spell is described in 3.5e Dungeons and Dragons. For whatever reason, it's an inferior version of Sunburst (which was added in an expansion pack, while Sunbeam was included in the base game)....

The only regret here is that Clerics of the sun domain are missing Sunburst at level 8, but changing domain spells for Clerics is a complicated thing since there are so many domains to choose from, and while for some it may be possible to fill out a domain spell for every spell level, for others there are only a handful, which would make some domains vastly outshine others. Reworking Cleric domains is something that had been heavily discussed but ultimately never went anywhere, since disrupting domains could crush entire character concepts in the name of "balance", it seemed better to not shake the foundation of the class any further. You are always free to make suggestions for individual domains, however, if it is clear other players are on board and the changes seem fair and thematic.

I want to multiclass her, so this change may not benefit my own Sun Domain cleric. But having read all the arguments in this thread http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=45324 I think it only makes sense that these clerics have the spell.

The short version of my reasoning is it's basically a better version of sunbeam, which Sun domain clerics get at 7th level.

Druids get sunbeam at 7th and sunburst at 8th. Excluding Sun domain clerics seems like an oversight because they are more attuned to the Sun than Druids IMO. Druids work with all nature on an elemental force level. The Sun is more like a deity and a single thing of veneration for Sun domain clerics.

It's main target is undead, which is the focus of Sun domain clerics. Undead are associated more with the cleric class than druids anyway.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.